1999 Les Paul Project to capture some 59' Goodness

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by lucy_sg, Mar 8, 2018.

1. lucy_sg

lucy_sg New Member

Hiya everyone had this baby since I was 10 treasured it although I couldn't really play it very well after a few bad lessons when I was a kid. Glad I looked after it

Luckily gave Fender play a go and really loving playing guitar again, Doing a lotta bluesy stuff, on the Epi' and on a AVRI Strat I've got

Joe Bonamassa, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King and some Jeff Beck stuff learning about more blues players as the weeks go on.

Did take it into a local shop for a nut replacement and setup something Im after re doing myself

Issues I've found so far with her are as follows, Tone Controls do nothing but on and off,
    Pickup selector is crackling its head off and one isn't working when on the middle position.

Not had a look at the wiring but thinking of putting some new wiring and pickups in her,

Question is whats everyones Fav wiring and Paf Style Pickups for a nice 59 tone? Was reading how the bridge can have an influence to and tail piece.

Anyone from the UK have recommendations supplier wise for the Wiring

Here's some mobile phone shots of her got some clips on my Instagram to of her being played into and without an amp,

(removed)

Any advice or opinions will be awesome really looking forward to getting stuck in,

From what I can find on the 1999 and the serial number
    Made in the Saein Plant In Korea in August 1999
    Set Mahogany neck with slim taper profile
    rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
    gold "les Paul Model" silkscreen on headstock
    Modern Clipped-Ear Headstock
    22 frets
    24.75 Scale
    1.68"nut (not sure what the shop replaced it with) as they were having a nightmare getting a lefty one.
    Carved top

Alcino Classic Humbuckers
    Locktone Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopper tailpiece
    Vintage style Epiphone Green Key tuners

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

First thing I'd do, after taking some contact cleaner like de-oxit to the pots and switch, is deal with the terrible break angle behind the bridge saddles. Either top wrap the strings or raise the tail piece about 1/4". Can't tell much more about the setup from pics, but a good setup is essential. I like the ACPs just fine and have kept the ones in my 99 LP standard silverflake and 2005 G-400 deluxe.

lucy_sg likes this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

+1 on the contact cleaner. That fixes a crackly switch 95% of the time. If that doesn't work, the wires may have come loose.

Not sure about the tone controls. Someone who knows more than I will respond.

There are so many things that affect tone on an electric guitar and they have each been argued ad infinitum on the internets. There is no consensus. Tone is in the ear of the beholder.

Yours is the first feedback I've read on Fender Play. I'm glad it's working for you and that you kept your Epi all these years.

IGRocker likes this.
  4. lucy_sg

lucy_sg New Member

Thanks everyone had a nosey under the control cover not the best pics in the world

Thanks for the tip on the break angle must admit I'm not impressed with what was done went in playing better hence wanting to do it myself familiar with strats as I learnt how to do the setup on mine but so much to learn on Les Pauls slowly learning though

Yeah fender play has been brilliant for me really transformed my playing only been at it for two weeks 20 mins a night use it as a springboard to learn the techniques then go an try new songs off it an see if it's worked so far really enjoying it

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

lucy_sg and CheshireFrog like this.
  6. Davis Sharp

lucy_sg likes this.
  7. Supersonic

Damn, I didn't even realize. You're right, the shipping would be a deal breaker for me too.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's the idea that matters. Finding a deal for someone is icing on the cake.

Who knows, maybe her Shop-Fu is strong.

lucy_sg likes this.
  9. Supersonic

For a moment I thought you said Shaq-Fu.

[​IMG]

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It is no match for my Storm style.

11. Davis Sharp

Focus boys, focus. What about the binary tone pots? Wrong type of taper? Wrong caps? Poor grounding? Too much stuff crammed into the cavity that's making a short circuit?

12. Supersonic

IGRocker likes this.
  13. lucy_sg

lucy_sg New Member

Not the greatest of pics but here's the current wiring :) first time I've had the cover off on the back

Quick question everyone how do I know if I need long or short tapers? Just starting to look at wiring suppliers in the uk

Btw those pickups are lush!! If only haha, If I had a r9 though I'd be super tempted by them maybe something for the future

Currently looking at the Joe Bonamassa ones by SD anyone had any experience

Attached Files:

14. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

15. lucy_sg

lucy_sg New Member

Thanks Wildman! Those look pretty ace :) researching creamtone wiring at the mo

16. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

If you’re looking at spending that much money, send Alex (the owner of Wizz, “TheThruth”) a PM on mylespaul. You can get a set of PAF replicas for the same cost as the SD Joe Bonamassa pickups, maybe even cheaper. I can vouch for the quality he puts into his pickups!!

Raiyn likes this.