'99 LP 100 "Barn Find" Refurb

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Blind Dog Melonhead, Nov 19, 2018.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim Active Member

The taller pickup ring is closest to the bridge, the short one is close to the neck. Install them sloping down toward the neck.

Here's a link for humbucker pickup heights:
    http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/pickup-height.aspx

Or if you dont' want to read the whole thing here's the meat:

"It’s best to experiment with different heights and see what works for you. Measuring between the top of the pickups and the bottom of the strings, with the strings depressed at the last fret, the best advice is to start with a gap of 1/16 inch between bridge pickup and strings and 3/32 inch between neck pickup and strings, and this makes a good general base from which to launch your own experiments."

Good luck!

IGRocker and Blind Dog Melonhead like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, speaking as a former 1st Key rather than stick to their strength as a battery, small electronics, accessory, and parts vendor they went for that "easy" cellphone money and watched as their cell providers undercut them at every turn. If they hadn't bet the farm on a losing horse they'd have had an immediate toe-hold on the nascent "maker" phenomenon. I'd LOVE to have had a "TRS-3D" printer to demo (not to mention own). I loved making custom length R6 quad-shield for people and coming up with solutions to their needs. Bad cordless battery? Unusual connector? No problem! Buy these butt splices and any battery off the rack and I'll make it work!

But, they made it all about the phones and I walked.

3. Blind Dog Melonhead

Blind Dog Melonhead Member

That is incredibly helpful! Thank you very much!!!

4. RTH

RTH Moderator Staff Member

I never undestood why anyone wanted a phone from radio shack. They tried being a computer store too. So lame. In this world of YouTube DIY repair, they could probably make a comeback if they focuses mostly on electronic repair and do it yourself projects.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The computer bit I'll give them some leeway on because they had the TRS-80 really early on. Once they started humping Compaqs though....not so much. Having said that, I think they'd have won out with Raspberry Pi's and Arduino kits.

On a side note, their PS2 controller was an absolute BEAST!

6. Blind Dog Melonhead

Hey guys. This is the returb thread. Radio Shack thread is down the hall, past change rooms and left at the vending machines...

Many thanks!

BlackSG91 likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I see, you're new. That's just how things work around here. :cheers:

Threads go off on tangents, then meander their way back to being on topic, there's no malicious intent or deliberate hijacking.

This isn't league night, this is just a bunch of guys knocking down some pins at midnight bowling.

[​IMG]

You could steer this right back on track with an update, a new question, or some new pictures, and we'd go right with you. 'sides @RegularJim had you covered, so it's all good.

Just don't go all French Mime on us. :thumbs:

John likes this.
  8. Blind Dog Melonhead

9. Blind Dog Melonhead

No problem at all good sirs. Thanks for the input.

I've been away for awhile, as I can only work on this when Big Mama isn't home. I'm afraid I've exceeded my allowable limit of guitars in the house, and this one's hidden under the bed lol.

But the time away from the project has been useful. I've decided that I've never really liked black guitars. Or Ivory for that matter. As such, I think I'm going to change this into a real "project," rather than a refurb.

I'm leaning toward something like this, but with new black EMG pickups and Gibson Propecy style knobs - maybe, or maybe not:

qae9kwrtnpmx0gahsdgj.jpg

And, if the actual natural finish under all that black lacquer isn't lovely and pleasing, than I'm thinking of maybe using a stain from this colourway - likely Onyx, maybe Indigo, Maybe Walnut:

jfghjdjhj.PNG
    So, the next step now is to remove the existing finish from the body and neck. Does anyone have a non-toxic method for doing this? I am in a tiny condo, with a small desk for a workspace, so sanders and nasty chemicals are out of the question.

Also, am I going to be able to get the neck off easily, as well as put it back in place again withou fracking it all up, or is there a science to it?

Many thanks again in advance. I appreciate the interest everyone's shown to date, as well as the priceless advice. Promise I'll make a better effort of updates here!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  10. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

You can always try a heat gun and a plastic putty knife! Probably the least lung killing method. That said, you might not like how it looks underneath. Probably 5-7 pieces of whatever wood they used that week.

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That, and if it's got a veneer under there......oof.

Fix it and flip it if you don't dig the black. A full refinish is a PITA when you have a proper workshop, much less a "tiny condo"

IGRocker likes this.
  12. Blind Dog Melonhead

Useful info. Thanks. Asking around to see if I can use a friends garage. Either that or I could set up a temporary workbench on the balcony.

Wondering about the potential wood quality issues. Just a question but if $50 diy kit bodies have a suitable finish, wouldn’t one of these? I thought that the Korean made Epis were higher quality?

13. RegularJim

RegularJim Active Member

In a lot of cases, if they're going to give a guitar an opaque finish, they don't care as much as making it out of ugly wood, because it really wouldn't matter. Otherwise it's like laying down a nice expensive hardwood floor and then covering it in carpet.

As far as the quality of the Korean guitars, You'll find some good ones and not so good ones. I'd venture to say that the AVERAGE quality of a Korean made Epi is no better than the AVERAGE quality of a Chinese Epi.

I think they consider the LP 100 is still in the "budget" range, since it has a bolt-on neck and ceramic pickups (same ones as the Special and Jr.), so unless you feel the guitar is a real GEM (only you can decide), I would think twice about spending the time and money on it, since a "minty" LP 100 is worth around $150, and a modded/refurbished one would be significantly less. That is, unless you're just in the mood to work on a guitar, then go for it!

Good luck!

14. Blind Dog Melonhead

Advice taken. Thank you.

15. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Well-Known Member

Raiyn likes this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member