Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by The Convert, Aug 9, 2019.

1. The Convert

The Convert Well-Known Member

So my main amp right now is a DSL40C. I use it like a head and run it through a 4x12 of G12EVHs. There are things I like about it and things I don't. I think the crunch channel is great, but sometimes needs a bump from a TS9. The Lead 1 Ultra Gain on low gain can be useful, but the rest of the second channel is not very useful for me. It's not really that it's too much gain--I've got pedals i like better that produce a lot more gain, but I don't like the texture. I think the clean is fine but not outstanding.

So I'm thinking of dumping a ton of money into this, and I just wonder, if in this large budget, if others have better options.

Before we get started, I play cleans like Brian Adams, clean and mid crunch blues, classic rock, 70s-80s hard rock, and some classic metal.

So I've been thinking about a three amp array.

For cleans and blues I'm looking at a Peavey Delta Blues with some speaker mods.

For Rock and Crunch I'm looking at an Origin 20 through a 2x12 of G12EVHs.

For Hard Rock/Metal I'm looking at the EVH 5150 III 50 watt head through a 2x12 with a V30 and a g12h-75 creamback. (I also considered an MT-15, but wasn't in love with it once I played it. I've played the EVH a bit and I know it has way more distortion than I need, but I think it has the tones I want.)

I think this will dramatically improve my high gain stuff for sure, and I think the Peavey might improve my blues/low gain stuff, with the origin sitting in that T-Rex--AC/DC range.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    IGRocker and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

Any love for modelers?

Is this for gigging?

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

For club gigging anymore apparently all you really need is a GT-1000 and an XLR.

littlebadboy likes this.
  4. Blakk

Blakk Active Member

If I remember correctly... you do not gig any longer and you do not like practice amps. It sounds like you have a plan but it is going to cost you to get exactly what you want. A one trick pony like a modeler can give you this but won't sound the same as the real thing. I have a Mustang that I bought used cheap. The novelty wore off very fast. Now it collects dust. My main amp is a high gain Randall. When I want to play clean, it does not sound good clean through this amp. I play some blues and some ambient stuff sometimes but not enough to justify buying an amp to play it. My main genre is metal. It sounds like you play a lot of different types of music and played enough amps to know what you like.

littlebadboy and Davis Sharp like this.
  5. littlebadboy

So sexy when she does that to the whammy bar. I could watch her all day working on that whammy... Grrrr...

I have the GT-100 + frfr cab and I am GAS'ing for the GT-1000. But everytime I play with my GT-100, there's just nothing wrong with it or missing to justify to get the GT-1000.

Raiyn likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've seen her play with Alice Cooper, and at a solo club gig. Very nice young lady, she took a selfie with SWMBO, myself and Angel Vivaldi. She's smaller than you think.

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. littlebadboy

Lucky you...

8. The Convert

The Convert Well-Known Member

True I haven’t gigged in years. I have found a practice amp that I love. It’s a Vox AC4C1-12 with a Texas Heat speaker. I go back and forth between the Delta Blues and an AC15 for my bigger clean amp. I sometimes entertain a Fender, but a lot of those combos you have to run really loud to get nice breakup. Fine for recording, but I have neighbors.

I’ve played modeler combos (a couple of mustangs, a code, and a Vox), and didn’t love them. I considered going the Kemper, etc route but didn’t like the “infrastructure” changes and mostly didn’t care for the likelihood I’d spend as much time fiddling with profiles as playing.

So I’m not necessarily looking for alternatives in approach, but alternative to individual components are welcome to, such as “if you’re looking at an Origin, you might also consider a...” or a “if you want 80s rock and metal a 5150 is overkill, but a ... might be a better fit.”

Thanks for everything so far, and yeah, Nita is awesome all day long.

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Active Member

The Origin amplifiers, especially the 50, have beautiful cleans when properly dialed in; you wouldn't need the Peavy. You can also get some serious crunch from it. With the right drive pedal, you could probably drop the 5150 as well.

10. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

The Origin heads and cabs I’ve played sound great! If it’s for gigging, I still use my old standby Boss GT6... lol. Sounds more than good enough for most people and simple to use. I only break out my AC15c1 for practicing or jams. The Vox is essentially everything I want for tone, but the Boss is far easier to move and is more versatile.

11. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Active Member

I use an old DigiTech 2112 SGS rack unit that has two 12AX7 tubes , it has the compression / Dynamics of tubes, I can run pure tube or analog distortions or cleans or combine them.
    I own VHT, Carvin, Marshall, Soldano Fender, Burgera, Peavey or Mesa Boogie amp. With my 2112, I replicated my amps and leave them home where they are safe.
    What I love most about the unit, programs can be changed and it seemlessly fade the previous amp tones, fading into the background with delay and reverb while I continue on the new preset, much like studio fade in.
    If you ever go out gigging, it's best to get a unit such as an Eleven Rack or any rack preamp and leave those precious amp heads at home, where they are safe from transport or road abuse.

littlebadboy likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

I have a Peavey DB and no speaker upgrade is necessary, the blue marvel is great in it.

Keep on Truckin' likes this.