Amp and Pedal Talk/Advise

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Brian16sg, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

Hi i started playing guitar in March and have been practicing about 90% unplugged . So far from learning cords to songs thanks to U-Tube (mainly Marty Shwartz ) . Im getting to the point were im playing through the amp and learning about Amps amps and pedals . So right now i have a hand me down Crate G-60 and Black Star Fly mini amp. The Crate amp sounds pretty good and loud right now but eventually i will upgrade . On that note Pedals from what i have seen $100.00 plus a piece. So if you buy say 3 pedals you are in new amp money territory all ready . So what are your thoughts on plain amps with pedals vs Modeling amps with built in pedals. Im thinking of getting some kind of looper pedal and then upgrading to something like the Boss Katana and one i was checking out yesterday the Vox VT40X .

Stuart likes this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

How much do you plan to spend? Doe you want to annoy just your next door neighbors or the ones down the street?:)

Boss and Vox have excellent reputations. The 40W Fender Champion is also a good deal.. I have the 20W version, but the larger speaker in the 40W makes a big difference.

You can get some nice pedals from Donner or Mooer, which won't break the bank.

3. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I say get a modeler to start with (you might just stay with it for a long time). Because you can go soooo many different ways on a one trick pony amp and a plethora of pedals, you end up getting lost, spending tons of cash and going nowhere.

If the price is right on that VT40X, it's a good one to get you where you want to go. But if I were you, I'd get an used VT40+ for half the price if not less. You'll have money left for a looper. The Katana is a good option.

DaveInSoCal and wildeman like this.
  4. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

Im going to have to wait for the smoke to clear before buying sense i bought a guitar in November and December . My wife does say she can now tell what songs im playing now ! Yeah i was first thinking of getting a small Fender tube amp but the more i learn the more the Modelers do make more sense . Its cool they have settings to mimic different amps and then have pedals built in . On the pedals im still trying to figure out what effects they do . So far the Chorus i recognize on some Rush songs and Nirvana .

Davis Sharp, Stuart and DaveInSoCal like this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've got a Boss Katana 50 which has a ton of software pedal options to swap in and out.

I also built myself a pedalboard for even more fun. There isn't a pedal on there I spent more than probably $40 on.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  6. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

I have a katana as well, I plan to get a looper, and much later, monitor speakers and a soundcard.
    I think the katana will serve you well. it's a good bundle!

Raiyn likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

A modeler like a Katana or Fender Mustang2 and a looper will keep you occupied for days.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  8. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

I say just go for a modeling amp now. If you are planning to gig then I suggest going for a tube amp with pedals.
    If you're just in the bedroom then a modeling amp is all you need. YMMV.

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

Thanks for the replies . I will not be giging for awile till i get better but would be cool to jam with some others . Its nice to see and hear what others like and use .

Stuart likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ahem...

I think you'd be fine as long as it doesn't become a ******* measuring contest. Then you just back the power down for home use. :cheers:

11. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

Cool nice demo! Yeah that 50 seems to be plenty.

Raiyn likes this.
  12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

A Boss Katana

Or

Boss GT-1 which is like the Katana without the amp section

The Boss GT-1 is versatile enough to be plugged i to anything, that I would suggest just a PA for gigs or studio monitors at home if you already have or will eventually anyway. Works great with headphones too. You could get the the GT-1 for less than $200 and a lot more in the used market. I just let go of mine for $155 which included the FS-6 switch. I personally prefer the GT-1 because of the versatility of being able to plug it anywhere especially in a gig situation.

13. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

Ok i went to the Guitar center on Monday and played around with a Katan 100 (they didnt have the 50 on hand . So many options sounded good ! they had a Vox VT20 no 40 but there was no power cord hooked to it . i tried out another one i have been eye balling the Fender Super Champ X2 . I didnt realize they had some buit in effects . So im trying to wait for a bit on buying another big item . So wile doing research and looking around i found a used Boss Super Chorus pedal (i found so many songs use Chorus) . What size /length cables is good from pedal to amp? I have a Snark power supply im hopeing i can use also. Its not supose to be here till Wednesday

14. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Those are three amps I owned, two of which I still have. The Super Champ (mine is the earlier version XD) is THE one I'd keep if I had to choose.

15. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

You definitely need a 15' cable to work with a chorus pedal.

16. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

image.jpg I got this in the mail this afternoon (first pedal) . It was a $39.00 used from Guitar centers site . Its go some wear but it works I just have to get some practice on it.

BGood likes this.
  17. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Active Member

image.jpg

Attached Files:

Raiyn likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Reverb.com and eBay are your friends.