Any Gretsch lovers here?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DHart, Sep 18, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Member

I would post some photos of my new Gretsch guitars, but need a few more posts and a couple of "likes" before I am allowed to post my photos. So.... I'm trying! :D

I came to Gretsch from my appreciation for the Fender Fideli'trons pickups that I have in my Cabronita Thinline Tele. I've been getting some awesome tones with that guitar, so decided to investigate more Gretsch-family pickups.

Oh man, that resulted in my buying two Gretsch guitars AND installing a set of TV Jones TV-HT (Hilo'trons) in my Gibson ES-339! Wild idea, I know. But I LOVE the sound.

Anyway... with a couple of "Likes" I may be able to post some photos here! Woo Hoo! :cheers:

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

"Liked"

I have a G2655 Streamliner that's a terrific player. Right now, there's too much hum (probably a loose ground wire). I already have one semi-hollow on the work bench, so I'm not too eager to do surgery on the Streamliner because I hate working on (semi-)hollows.

DHart likes this.
  3. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

I have a G9555 New yorker that I picked up on Kijiji for 120$... It had the electronics taken out and needed a bit of fretwork. I like it, but I have been thinking of electrifying it (again? ahahha). I want to pin the bridge and put some humbuckers in there but ill have to do some investigating to make sure I don't cut through the bracing. I might just go for a neck mount in that case... ANYWAYS, long story short, it plays well and I like it ahahha.

DHart likes this.
  4. Norton

Norton Member

Love/hate experience with gretch’s. Super cool looking. Interesting sounding and tweaky to play.

Tiny frets, some really questionable hardware (space control bridge etc) and the physics of An incredibly shallow break angle at the bridge can all add up to a very different feeling playing experience.

I’d strongly suggest you spend some time playing a Gretsch before buying one.

The 5xxxx series is way more solid and stable than some of the “vintage correct” 6xxxx series.

Unfortunately for me, I’ve got a 6xxx series duojet that took an metric ton of work to make it stable and playable. As in, bridge replacement, stud mounting, bigsby removal and Trapeze install.

I can say that the Melita is a damn cool bridge and that the ones from embie concepts are amazing. In form, function and sound.

AND that the filtertron is an interesting little machine. If you can, wire them up to allow switching from having the coils in parallel (stock) to coils in Series.

A filtertron with its coils internally wired like a standard humbucker is a really great thing.

DHart likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Member

Davis... thanks for the response and the "Like".

I understand how you feel about electronics surgery on semi-hollows. I just finished changing my Gibson ES-339 from Gibson hum buckers to TV Jones TV-HT Hilo'trons. I've done a LOT of wiring and pickup work on Teles and Strats, but the ES-339 was a whole 'nother ballgame! It took a lot of planning, time, careful work, and some choice four-letter words, but I got it done and the results are SUPERB! The pickup change has really transformed my appreciation for this ES-339.

It's kind of like having a Gretsch heart beating gloriously in a Gibson body. :rofl: Very nice!

[​IMG]

I built a completely new wiring harness for these pickups, retiring all the Gibson guts together. I used 530k (measured) CTS pots and made the neck tone pot into a No-Load pot, for extra sparkle from the neck pickup.

[​IMG]

Realizing that I never want to have to remove and reinstall the harness again, I wired in a pickup connection terminal block, located right underneath the bridge pickup, so I will be able to make pickup swaps in the future without removing the wiring harness. Solderless... the pickup leads go into screw terminals.

[​IMG]

It was a JOB! But all's well that ends well. And this one ended really wonderfully. The tones are fantastic, sounding like a veil has been lifted off the tone, revealing great articulate detail and sparkle.

I love these pickups! This is my new "Gretsch-son" ES-339. (Or, "Gibs-etsch" ES-339?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. DHart

DHart Member

I've already taken the plunge. Mine are not vintage models, but the latest production.

This one is a G6119T Player Edition Tennessee in deep wine red. From the Terada Japan factory. Wonderful hollow-body tones from the HS FIlter'trons.
    [​IMG]

And this one is a G5622T Center-Block in Walnut finish. From the So. Korean factory. This one has Super Hilo'trons, which I much prefer over the Broad'trons that Gretsch is putting in the upcoming (October 2019) version of this model. I prefer the clearer, more detailed, and brighter Gretsch pickup tones over their Broad'trons, which seek to appeal to those wanting PAF-style humbucker tones.

Super Hilo'trons are being phased out by Gretsch, which I think is quite unfortunate. These are great sounding pickups - slightly higher output than HS Filter'trons, yet still crisp, clean, detailed, and bright.
    [​IMG]

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  7. Parabar

Parabar Active Member

Check out the thread about 9 below this one --- more Gretschy goodness there too!

Davis Sharp and DHart like this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Gorgeous guitars @DHart. Nice clean wiring too. Unfortunately, my semi hollows have the switch on the upper bout, so I can't wire that up outside the guitar. I also used a connector system for the same reason.

DHart likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Member

Thanks, Davis. I'm going to be creating a new wiring harness for an Epi Les Paul ES hollow body (semi-), so I've going to have to deal with that remote control switch, myself. Urggggh. But in the end, it will sing with TV Jones T-Armond pickups! :) And this time, instead of a terminal block for pickup connections, I'm going with mini connector clips for the pickup leads. Snap on, snap off. :rofl:

10. Jim Hopkins

Jim Hopkins New Member

I have 3 Gretsch guitars and love all 3. They are, 6122-59---6122-58--- and a 6120-55VS. I have had a Gretsch going back to 1968. Nothing else sounds like a Gretsch.

Jim

DHart likes this.
  11. DHart

DHart Member

Hey Jim... thought you'd appreciate this one. It's essentially a "Gretsch ES-Les Paul" and yes, it does sound quite like a Gretsch in a form factor (ES Les Paul) that I am quite in love with.

Gretsch HS Filter'trons, 4k DCR at the neck and 4.7k DCR at the bridge.

CTS 1.08M volume pot for the neck, CTS 1.06M volume pot for the bridge, CTS 1M No-Load tone pots for both pickups, and .015uF Russian Military PIO K40Y caps on both tone pots. Switchcraft selector switch and output jack complete the electronics complement.

Sounds clean, clear, detailed, articulate, and sparkly bright. Perfect, to my taste! :cheers:

[​IMG]

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  12. Jim Hopkins

Jim Hopkins New Member

DHart, that is a great looking guitar. The HS filtertrons are great sounding pickups. I have them in my 6122-58 and at least for me they cut through in a band great.

Jim

DHart likes this.