Blindfold challenge.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Raiyn, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

This re-emerged in my YouTube list. I don't remember it getting any commentary around here at the time so here ya go.

FIW, I rather like the Epi headstock, the only one I truly dislike is the Dean V style.

Lancpudn likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

No surprises here. I have some of each. To my taste (and apparently to Rob's, too) the Epiphone Standard Pro was the overall best sound. It had a sweet and full clean tone and tons of power(too much for Rob) with the overdrive. I thought it was a little muddy, but I also think that could easily have been eq'd out, or Rob could turn down the volume half a tic. The Gibson Traditional was my second choice, it had a very familiar sound and possibly with a little pickup raising or lowering the clean sound could be fattened up. Over-driven sound was great. The Gibson Standard was my third pick. I liked the clean sound, but over-drive was muddier than the Epi by a wide margin. Wasn't that a gorgeous '59 ri?

3. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember watching that test,I used to watch Anderton's videos quite a lot but I've not checked any out for a while.

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

While not always agreeing with their assessments I always enjoy their "don't take us seriously, we don't" approach.

5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I saw that back whenever. I don't get the dislike for the headstock shape, but that's a matter of taste. I don't like offset or pointy guitars, but others do.

I see what Lee is saying about separating Gibson and Epiphone designs and putting the same label on an affordable MIC and an expensive MIA. But it's a psychological ploy, right? That Epi is only an entry to Gibson? "Only a Gibson is good enough"

Biddlin likes this.