Brit tourist racks up £36000 in speeding fines in four hours.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Lancpudn, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Raiyn, Davis Sharp and Paruwi like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

And I thought it was annoying to get the late charges for using toll roads in a rented car.

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Lancpudn likes this.
  4. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Where exactly is @Digger again?

Paruwi, Lancpudn and Davis Sharp like this.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

Everybody needs a hobby.....:dude:

Lancpudn likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain they wouldn't confuse @Digger for a Brit.

Lancpudn likes this.
  7. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

I dunno @Raiyn, a week hanging around East London & he might have reverted to his pre convict era persona :D

Paruwi and Lancpudn like this.
  8. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

i posted over on mlp as well, but i'm not following how the tourist
    can't be held liable. the way the article reads, as long as he is
    okay with losing his passport, there is really no other consequence,
    all while the owners of the huracan loses a car ? doesn't seem like
    the owners want to eff with it, either.

Lancpudn likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Were that true, the mugger would have been found floating in the river....

Lancpudn and Stuart like this.
  10. Davis Sharp

If the dealership notifies the embassy that they are holding his passport until he pays the fine, then the embassy may not issue a replacement because it's not really lost. Then he's screwed. I don't know about rental agreements for a Lamborghini, but I imagine that there was either a sizeable deposit or a credit card to cover incidental expenses.

Lancpudn likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Umm, it's on BBC News....pretty sure the British Embassy is going to figure that one out.

Lancpudn likes this.
  12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Not sure myself? Falmouth?

I think thats where we are for 2 nights.

13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Reverted?

I never con verted in the first place....one a convict, always a convict and bloody proud of it!

Giving the Poms heaps, as you can imagine!

Lancpudn and Stuart like this.
  14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I’m a lurkin’ and taking notes for future reference!

Stuart likes this.
  15. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

i was thinking the same thing. they have to be covered out the wazoo on the back end.

Lancpudn and Davis Sharp like this.
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

From BBC news
    Welsh tourist can leave Dubai after £36k speeding fines
    16 August 2018

[​IMG]Image copyrightWALES NEWS SERVICE
    Image captionFarah Hashi was visiting friends in Dubai when he was repeatedly caught speeding
    A Welsh tourist has been allowed to return home from Dubai after settling £36,000 in speeding fines.

Farah Hashi, 25, had his passport seized by a hire car firm after setting off dozens of speed cameras in a rented £160,000 Lamborghini.

The firm said it would not give him his documents until he paid the fines.

But police officers have helped Mr Hashi come to an agreement with the firm meaning he will now pay £26,000.

Mr Hashi, from Newport, hired the luxury supercar from Saeed Ali Rent a Car on 7 August while visiting friends in Dubai.

In four hours he triggered every speed camera on the Sheikh Zayed Road by driving at up to 150mph (240km/h).

His fines totalled 175,000 dirhams, or £36,000.

[​IMG]Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
    Image captionFarah Hashi set off every speed camera he passed on Dubai's Sheikh Zayed Road
    Saeed Ali Rent a Car said Mr Hashi left his passport with them as a guarantee, but his brother said the firm seized it after he had driven the car.

Delivery company manager Adman Hashi, 50, said: "They came to his hotel and demanded he hand it over after the speeding ticket came through, and out of fear he gave it to them.

"It is so corrupt. I don't know how they can legally withhold his passport."

He added his brother had not known about Dubai's speeding laws and had been forced to borrow money from a friend to pay for his extended stay.

Mr Hashi's family are planning to launch legal proceedings against the firm when he returns home.

The company said it could not get the Lamborghini back from officials in Dubai until Mr Hashi paid the fine.​
    .[​IMG]

Lancpudn likes this.
  17. Davis Sharp

Spoiled, rich, entitled brat thinks laws don't apply to him. Reminds me of the affluenza case in Texas.

[Ethan] Couch was 16 in June 2013 when he struck and killed four pedestrians. A psychologist at his manslaughter trial blamed his irresponsibility on family wealth, dubbing it "affluenza." The term was widely ridiculed.​

Lancpudn likes this.
  18. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Yeah I read about that case, really disgusting how they tried to blame it on affluence FFS! I don't know how those people sleep at night.

He would have been banned from the roads here as we have a totting up points system, reach 12 points & your off the road. speeding carries a 3 point penalty + fine.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

In my younger days, I racked up all kinds of speeding tickets. All but one were courtesy of the Duval county Sheriff's office. Since I moved from Jacksonville, (20+ years ago) I haven't had so much as a parking ticket.

20. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Active Member

When I was a senior in high school, my friend bought a 1970 Grand Prix SJ drag car. Blown 455, ratchet shifter, nitrous oxide, cage, tubbed out, rear tires were 15" wide- he bought it with brand new Kelly Supercharger tires.

We had to drive home on 2 highways back from high school, and he was hauling the proverbial donkey. Crested this rise, and it was a downhill straight away for several miles.

Doing about 130 MPH (bar type speedo), and there was a State Highway Patrol car running a speed trap in the emergency turn around.

Guy turned his lights on before we made it to him, but Chris just kept the hammer down and hit the NOS. We passed the cop with the speedometer needle clear over in the gas gauge. Probably at least 15-20 MPH more than the highest reading.

Cop pulled out, lights and sirens trying to catch us- fat chance. Standstill to overtake 150 MPH car you'd need a supercar.

We kept going past the exit we would have gotten off at, to the next one that was an overpass for SR41.

We sat at the light waiting to turn left, keeping a nervous eye on the rear view. As the light turned green and we were going over the highway we'd been on the cop went by, lights and sirens, doing probably 120 or so (top speed of a late 80's Crown Vic cop car).

We just leisurely drove to his house, put the car in his barn, covered it with tarps, old crates and paint cans.

His dad was a gear head and wouldn't have given him up if the cops had gotten his license plate.

Same car, the day after he got it we left our high school. Took a couple back roads to the highway. I was 3rd in line behind my buddy Robb in his Mercury Capri (Fox body V6) when Chris decided he'd power brake the car.

Usually when you'd power brake a car and spin the tires you'd let off the brake. But Chris kept spinning the tires in place. Robb's car disappeared in a cloud of white smoke. I was afraid to pull forward since I couldn't see the front of my own car.

Looked to my right, and there he was laying more tire smoke down the little rural road we were on.

When I got to his house and parked behind him I could see the cords on his back tires. He was out there with a razor blade scrapping chunks of melted rubber off the bumper and fenders.

That car was really badass! When he had it on the highway doing 55 in first gear, and pressed the NOS button he'd spin the rear tires.