burstbucker pickups

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by tony2911, Sep 9, 2019.

1. tony2911

tony2911 New Member

if I upgrade the pickups in my epi LP to gibson burstbuckers do I need to upgrade the rest of the electrics?

2. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Member

"Need", No.

If you want to, sure.

Does it make a difference-->Depends who you ask. I like to know my guitars have good components, but there is nothing actually wrong with Epi electronics, especially if its those full size Alpha pots. Should be good enough until they crap out (if they crap out). I usually rewire the whole thing because I'm in there anyways, but for my 339 the pots that came with the pickups (DiMarzio) were long shaft and I couldn't get them in there so I re-wired the original epi-pots. I don't love that guitar any less, and it sounds absolutely amazing.

tony2911 likes this.
  3. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Nope you don't everything in there is good. Just make sure you take care of it by cleaning/lubricating the components at least once a year and they'll performe flawlessly for years.

tony2911 and Imerkat like this.
  4. Imerkat

Imerkat Active Member

There are some Epiphones that used wiring with high capacitance like the Kat series that darken the tone more than need be.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Need to? Not really.
    It's really easy to fall down the rabbit hole when talking about upgrades. People will start blowing smoke about arcane stuff like "PIO" aka "Paper in Oil", and "vintage correct" this and that. A good bit of that is corksniffer hooey.

Know this: the stuff they put in an Epiphone is decent quality, fully serviceable stuff that would last the average person a good long time.

Having said that, I enjoy repairing and modding guitars, and have no compunctions about stripping an axe down to the husk and starting over. I take great satisfaction in the process and feel more bonded with the axe afterwards. I prefer to use parts with tight tolerance to the stated value ±5% (or tighter) when available - partly for consistency but mainly because I like to get what I pay for as far as specs.

The fact I can sling 63/37 solder, own stock in self-adhesive copper shield tape, love complicated wiring schemes, and prefer certain components doesn't mean I can make your guitar sound like Dave Gilmour, Brian May or Kingfish. You're still going to sound like you. I know I sure do.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    tony2911 likes this.
  6. Keefoman

Keefoman Well-Known Member

I would upgrade the electronics first. CTS 500k pots and som quality paper in oil caps make a difference. Maybe you find that your pickups are ok. If not, you already have the electronics in place.

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree.
    You don't hear what goes through the capacitor, it goes to ground. You're far better off getting something like an Orange Drop (if you must have the "mojo") or any other metallized / Mylar cap.
    I tend to like Mallory 150's (radial leads -easy to use), but I've used Orange Drops, Electrocubes, Panasonics, Tropical Fish, and even Radio Shack chiclets; they all sounded good. They're all less expensive by far with way tighter tolerances to the stated value which is FAR more important than any vintage "mojo" bragging rights one might derive from a $20 cap whose job is to filter signal to ground.

Even JoBo specs Mallory 150's in his most recent sig, not that it matters.

8. tony2911

tony2911 New Member

thanks for that, its been a big help

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

Everything BoJo does Matters! :rofl:

at least thats what it seems like with the amount of press the guys gets.

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Pfft, I had a good laugh when I found out about the Mallory's, one that turned to grumbling when the vendors started jacking up the prices. Typical, his fanboys will buy anything.

No worries. It's not a competition around here. EpiTalk is basically a bunch of guys screwing around at midnight bowling. We try not to get as serious as some of the other sites where it's "league night" 24/7.
    But that's just like, my opinion, man.
    [​IMG]

Some of us dig box stock axes with good setups, others (like me) dig modding them to see what they can really do. Try that with a Gibby on the other sites and they haul out the torches and pitchforks, here it's all good.

Let us / me know if you need any technical assistance. Oh, and next time, pics or it didn't happen. :cheers:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  11. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

You could add Fairy Dust in the control cavity, it will produce the same effect.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Congratulations, both on getting through your storm encounter, and for hitting the 3,000 post mark.