Cables

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Supersonic, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree (maybe) that using a decent cord is a better experience than using a $4 POS "economy cord". But how much better?

The most expensive cable I've ever bought was about $30 (for the 10 foot version). It's a Live Wire Elite and it sounds great, no noise at all and has held up for several years now

Recently though, I got a 10 ft. Planet Waves American Stage cable for 18 bucks and I honestly don't think I could tell the difference between it and the $30 one if I didn't know which was plugged in. Some spend tons on cables and some don't think it really matters at all. What say you?

What kind of cables do you use?

Stuart and Raiyn like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I use one of these.
    [​IMG]

GLS Audio 30 Foot Curly Guitar Instrument Cable - Right Angle 1/4 Inch TS to Straight 1/4 Inch TS

I was using a 20' straight to 90° plain cord I'd gotten from GC before my boycott. It was just plain unwieldy.

This one, thought listed as 30' (measured before coiling per "industry standard" ) when stretched out to non scary levels is more like 15'. That's plenty for me to noodle about at home with and to tuck in a messenger bag for class. Pretty much loop it a couple times secure with Velcro ties and boom done.

They claim it has a low capacitance of 28 picofarads per foot compared to 200 per foot for some other brands. I don't know. It works for me, it's convenient and it wasn't as costly as something like the similar Vox cable.

I got the idea from old an old Yardbirds video, though admittedly that might actually BE a Vox cable.

Money f'Nothin and Supersonic like this.
  3. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

I used to buy Ibanez cables (back when they still had the gold plated tips), but they would crap out after a couple years. I grabbed a couple Planet Waves cables last June, no complaints so far!

Supersonic likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, it wasn't a Yardbirds video, it was Led Zeppelin performing a Yardbirds classic.

At least I couldn't find a Yardbirds video with them even plugged in aside from a movie clip.
    I almost wish GLS made a red version......

Davis Sharp and Supersonic like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have a few 20 ft GLS cloth covered that I bought on sale a couple of years ago (about $15 each), one Planet Waves 16 ft and an ancient Fender 16 ft curly vinyl covered. I think the Fender was about $20 in 1980, guess it was worth it. The GLS have been very good as has the Planet Waves. I bought some budget cables to use on the garage floor for jammng and practice, but they are noisy at show volume.

Supersonic likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Isn't Led Zeppelin the new New Yardbirds? :)

I use Planet Waves. I have no complaints about the quality.

Raiyn likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I don't know about "new" :p

Part of me wants to put a Neutrik Silent 90° on that cable just for giggles.

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

That was the temporary name for Jimmy Page's new band. Then someone suggested Led Zeppelin. I think it was Keith Moon.

9. Money f'Nothin

Money f'Nothin Member

I have a couple of Spectraflex cloth braided cables that I've had for over 20 years and they are still going strong, but I got a Lava Cables green coily cable a few years ago (20 ft) and it is my favorite ever. Mostly because it never gets tangled up, but it's also very high quality, and sounds great. I recommend them to anyone.

[​IMG]

Supersonic likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Those GLS coilys like I have are spectacularly inexpensive. $18 and in the 8 months I've had it I have no complaints. Heck, the GLS folks actually checked in with me to see what I thought and to offer any support.
    It does lack (as noted previously) the silent plug, but for an extra $10-$15 bucks, some heat shrink and a bit of my soldering time I can fix that and still come out 50% ahead if I were so inclined.

I will say, that the metallic red is fargin' pretty!
    [​IMG]

11. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

Most of my cables are from 'Cordial' - they are very flexible and are lying flat on the floor (not like some Planet Waves cables I've had)

and I like the 'Silent-Plug' idea

Supersonic likes this.
  12. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the silent plug thing... used to run an open mic night years ago, and saved assaulting the audiences ears with pops and bangs when people swapped over :D

Always made my own cables from decent cable and neutrik jacks / XLR’s, it don’t have any of the gear from then left these days.

Have several standard cables (usually from assorted guitar purchases - people tend to want to give you everything related when they sell up!) but use a 10’ Fender cable - mostly because Amazon could bring it to me within 2 hours when I needed a decent quality one quickly!

The more I think about it, I’m sure I have a couple of Neutrik jacks in a box somewhere, so if I find them, I’ll be making another cable from those.

Did buy a couple of Stagg 1m patch leads for my audio interface a little while ago, and the plugs on them are a close copy of Neutrik’s design - no complaints for the price point either!

Paruwi and Supersonic like this.
  13. Paully

Paully Well-Known Member

I use Fender cables. A little expensive but, lifetime warranty.

Supersonic likes this.
  14. Marco_J1975

Marco_J1975 Member

After the first few factory-made cables, I had my cables made by my music store. Codial cable with Neutrik jack plugs. They already last 10-15 years or so and they are used for weekly rehearsal and gigging.
    I have one that is a little thinner and flexes more between guitar and fx-board and a more sturdy one between board and amp.
    IMO the noise level with these cables is less than the factory-made I have.
    By the time a need a new cable, I’m going to solder it myself, out of cordial or monster cable and neutrik plugs.

Scootermuppet and Supersonic like this.
  15. Keefoman

Keefoman Well-Known Member

I use George L cables and plugs for patches between pedals, and from the pedalboard to the amp. A Line 6 G30 wireless from guitar (with Goerge L from guitar to transmitter) to board. Been using this for many years and it works great!

Supersonic likes this.
  16. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Active Member

I bought Monster Cables in the early 2000's, they still going strong for all these years.
    I bought some GFS Monster Cable clones and to my surprise they were real quiet, sound equally as good as the Monster and still worked when my 7 year old daughter used the GFS cable as a jump rope .

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've been liking the Monoprice Premier series patch and 6 footers lately.

I still use that coily to the axe though.

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

House brand Reverb cables are really cheap and durable!

Did I mention they're cheap?

$9 for 20ft, $7 for 10ft.

AJ6stringsting and Raiyn like this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Alright, I'm putting my money where your mouth is.
    1530381316427.jpg
    I needed a new board to amp cable anyway, so we'll see what $7 gets you.

20. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

How is it Raiyn?