Can a Strat do hard rock??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DaveInSoCal, Jun 22, 2018.

1. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

Hey!!
    This is my modded Squier Strat doing a little hard rock!
    Texas Mex pickups, sorry SRV, is this what you were going for??

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Sounds good Dave. That's a kick ass wall hanging you have in the background too.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Active Member

I'm a big fan of Squier Strats. Some minor upgrades, and you have a solid player.

4. DaveInSoCal

Hey thanks!!!
    Gotta pay homage to Zeppelin!

Supersonic likes this.
  5. DaveInSoCal

The beauty of the Squier Strat is that it is just a pallete for crushing upgrades!

I would put this Squire SE up against any Strat!

I have another that I will post soon!

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I have a Squier Deluxe and a Squier Standard and love them. Nice job Dave.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:D
    They are fun when you get them right aren't they?

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  8. Walker

Walker Member

I had a Squier Standard Strat for a while. It had alnico pickups and 2 point trem as standard equipment. Nice guitar. The guys in Iron Maiden use Strats, so, I'd say Strats do Hard Rock.

[​IMG]

John and DaveInSoCal like this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Dave Murray's sig, not your average Strat....

I did find this as well over on UG...though the title is a bit out of context to what was actually said.
    Iron Maiden Guitarist Explains the Struggle of Using Stratocasters in Metal: 'They're Hard to Play'

"A Les Paul is probably better built but I think a Strat just has something about it."

Posted Aug 13, 2015 09:45 PM

Iron Maiden guitarist Janick Gers recently told us about struggles of using Fender Stratocaster six-strings in metal, saying that Strat requires a special kind of approach.

Explaining to UG how he still uses his first secondhand Strat he bought back in the '70s, Janick noted:

"I've got to tell you it just felt right. It's like cars: people like Lamborghinis or Ferraris and it's about the shape. I think it's just the shape of the Strat just felt right to me. It always did. It's a hard guitar to play."

He added: "I used to use a lot of single-coil picks with [Ian] Gillan and we'd pick up the police and we'd pick up the fire brigade and there'd be noises from the lights. There was nothing you could do about it.

"I used to use the radio of the police in certain gaps [in the music]. You try to use it. They're hard guitars to play. Then the stacked single-coil pickups came out where you could stack 'em so they become humbuckers and that helped a bit. For a band like Maiden, you couldn't use single-coils because the noise would be tremendous.

"I used to put silver paper over them and whatnot and try and blanket out some of the noise but even that wouldn't stop it. If the [light] dimmers were near me, you'd get all these noises coming through the Marshall amps and it would be just unbelievable. So it is a hard guitar to play and you've got to fight it. Whereas a Les Paul is a much nicer guitar to player but I don't think you get as much out of it."

Gers concluded, "The great players to me all use Strats and even if they played a Les Paul like Jeff Beck [Beck played a Les Paul for the Jeff Beck Group and then changed to a Strat later], they'll go back to a Strat because it has so many options. A Les Paul is probably better built but I think a Strat just has something about it."

AJ6stringsting and DaveInSoCal like this.
  10. DaveInSoCal

Well, I admit that I am generally a Gibson guy (and Epiphone), my absolute favorite guitar is actually my Gibson SG Special faded.
    These strats just live in their cases and don't get much playtime but when they do come out they are stunning. As I said they are Squiers but heavily modded so they do kick some ass and play and sound great.
    Anyway I just wanted to show them a little love!

Raiyn and John like this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to dissuade you in the slightest, just pointing out that it ain't your average Strat. There's something special there. :cheers:

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  12. DaveInSoCal

Absolutely, that's what I love about modding, you can make pretty much anything you want and they almost always kick ass! I have had a couple go south but even those were good learning experiences.

Raiyn likes this.
  13. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Nice jam Dave &, IMO, Strats look soooo much better with Rosewood fretboards.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Preaching to the choir my friend! Killer Frost went through three sets of pickups and I lost count of the number of wiring schematics I tried before she sounded happy. Loved every second of it other than trying to do each version on a self-imposed deadline.

I swear, when I hit that PowerBall / Mega Millions jackpot and pack up the crew for higher ground my next house will have a proper tinkering room where I can leave a project mid-stream and not worry about having everything cleaned up and back in place when SWMBO returns from work. That, and a climate controlled garage for larger projects. My better half isn't one for letting me rebuild an engine in the living room.

The Pao Ferro ones aren't too shabby either!

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  15. John

John Well-Known Member

You gonna keep her working? :lol:

16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

If she wants. Probably some volunteer something or other.

17. DaveInSoCal

You will need state of the art home brewery as well, just to mix things up a bit!

Raiyn likes this.
  18. DaveInSoCal

Thanks!! I do have one Strat with a maple fretboard, I like it just because it's my only one. I tend to swap necks around so it may end up on this one at some point. :thumb:

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

SWMBO has a gluten allergy. It'll have to be a cider press or meadery.
    Of course, at that point I'd be able to buy into some nice old scotch.....
    For the record, distilled stuff is fine.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  20. DaveInSoCal

Raiyn likes this.