Christmas present.

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Bradley D. Lyons, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Active Member

I received a Vox Mini Superbeetle.

It's a wonderful little amp that works as a living room noodling platform. 25 watts of power availble through the 1x10 cab but sounds fantastic when played at low levels. Bonus - It fits under the end table.

super beetle small.JPG

I gave it a work out early this morning without disturbing anyone else in the house.
    Perfect.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Gotta love those Nutube amps.

Tweed26 likes this.
  3. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that they can shoe-horn a 10" speaker into one of those. I like it though...

4. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Active Member

I've been playing the heck out of it using a looper and a delay pedal in the mornings. It is fantastic. I can get a great sound out of it without having to crank it. However, at 25wats into a 10" speaker, you can crank the bejeeze out of it.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

That's a great looking amp, congrats.

6. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 Well-Known Member

I Freakin love mine, the only thing I dsilike is the name (why name it something when you can't use the correct spelling for fear of being sued or having to pay royalties to Paul McCartney) To me they should called it something like the AC25 Mini Stack or AC50 Mini Stack. The name actually put me off buying one for over a year, until last week when my local pawn shop got one in while I was there apraising a guitar for them. They offered the guy £50 for it as they said they'd only selling for about £100, before he decided I offered him £80 (all I had in my wallet). he wasn't that bothered about the money it had been a unwanted gift. I actually feel guilty now for not trying these out when they first released, I haven't found a guitar in my collection that this amp doesn't pair well with.

Pictured with my Harley Benton "Brian May" alike.
    [​IMG]

The true Superbeatle had a totally different head design and was more powerfull than either the AC100 mk1 or AC100 mk2. These were NEVER officially called "The Beatle or Super Beatle)

AC100 mk1 80-100 watt = 1963 - 1965 "Super Deluxe"
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac100mkI.html

AC100 mk2 100 watt = 1965 - 1967 "Super Deluxe"
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac100mkII.html

In mid 1965 Thomas Organ Company (US Distributor for Vox) made JMI a proposal, A significant one time payment in exchange for the licensing rights to manufacture Vox gear in California for the US and Canadian Markets. After the licensing agreement was finalized the importation of Vox gear from the UK to the US all but ceased.

Released by Thomas Organ Company in 1966 the "Super Beatle" replaced the AC-100 Super Deluxe in the US and Canada (only available in UK and Europe as special import).

Vox V14 Super Beatle 120 watt = 1966 - 1968 re-released =1970
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/amp/beat_head.html

Some people bemoan the nutube tech but I think it's the way forward (as long as korg can make a decent nutube output valve) and as for the people like my lead guitarist who whine about it being solid state (that was until he gave it a try). all of the above versions of the AC100 & the Super Beatle 120 were solid state.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019