Coated Strings

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Supersonic, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Anyone use them?

Ya know the ones that are supposed to last a long time like Elixers, Cleartones,ect?

Well I've given them a third try and I'm done with them.

I've used 2 sets of Elixers on electrics and hated how they played and the special coating junk started peeling off after about 2 weeks.

I saw the new Martin Lifespan acoustic strings so I figured I'd give them a go and put a set on an acoustic since I normally use Martin strings anyway. HORRIBLE. Made the guitar sound dead and weak and it doesn't project as well as it did before. I'm taking them off.

I don't know why, but I always think I can find "better strings" than what I normally use.

That's enough of that. Martin SP Phosphor Bronze on all acoustics and EB Slinky 10s on all electrics from now on.

Raiyn likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I dunno, every so often I get a strange urge to put on a set of DR Neons and a headband and play "Money for Nothing" under a black light.
    [​IMG]

3. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

Good to know. I saw those coated strings when I was at L&M on the weekend. I was curious, but not curious enough to pick up a set. now I'm glad I didn't.

4. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Active Member

Never used them....I play every day, Elixirs would start falling apart in a day or two... I would use them on a instrument that is not currently seeing play time.
    The other thing that worries me a lot, is you can scratch your guitar if there is any leftover on it's surface and you try to wipe it clean.

5. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

I used coated strings on my acoustic a couple times but didn’t like them. I didn’t have any issues with them peeling either. I actually use the same strings as you for my acoustic now.

As for electrics? Never touched them, and I use GHS Boomers