Damask Metal bridge humbucker demo

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by littlebadboy, Aug 11, 2018.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

Hello everyone!

I am honored to be given the opportunity by the brothers at 'Wood Shop Pickups' by D&D Research to try out their Damask Metal bridge humbucker. It is a 44awg wind, using a ceramic 8 magnet, and wound to 17.2k. It is designed with the metal/hard rock player in mind. The pickup is designed and made in the USA.

They are a Reverb seller at https://reverb.com/shop/darryls-gear-garage-21

For this demo, I used the following:
    A Squier M-80 modified with the following:
    Bridge controls - Bourns pots, volume 500k, tone no-load 500k
    Neck controls - Bourns pots, volume and tone 500k
    The Damask Metal bridge humbucker was installed in the bridge position
    Ernie Ball Regular Slinky string set

During the recording of this track, only the bridge pickup was used to fully showcase it. The tone pot was on no-load setting so that the viewers can listen to the pickup wide open through the 500k volume pot without being altered by the tone circuit.

I used the Boss GT-1 as my effects processor and an interface to my DAW. On the metal driven track parts, the left channel is using the Bogner Uberschall amp simulation. The right channel is the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier amp simulation. The clean track is using a natural clean preamp simulation with some compressors, delays, and reverb for an ambient effect.

My thoughts are…

For my dirty driven tone, I use minimal gain. Nevertheless, this high output humbucker drives really well with gnarly distortion well suited for the metal or hard rock player. However, it is still articulate enough to define the notes or chords being played. Although my setting bypasses the tone circuit, I noticed that it gives nice mids but not shrilly. It also gives nice chunky palm muted chugs that is not boomy. It is excellent for gallops. The ceramic 8 magnets excites the strings catching a wide range of more tones or frequencies making it more lively. Using the tone pot will give you a variety of tonal options for driven or clean sounds from warm tones to devastating distortions.

I hope you enjoyed my video demo and short amateur review!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    DPaulCustom and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Nice demo. Thanks for posting. It's too hot of a pickup for my (non-metal) taste, but I can hear the notes clearly. Good work.

littlebadboy likes this.
  3. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review, & the video, great work on showing what the pup can do, & once again, a nice job on putting together the video.
    Thanks for posting, & for your efforts in putting things together!!

littlebadboy likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Had to get me to go to Reverb.....

5. littlebadboy

Thank you Davis, DPaul, and Raiyn!

6. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Hey, just chalk it up to supporting a fellow forum brother and curing your gas!!

7. littlebadboy

Did a second demo. This time in Drop C for some serious chug work.

All guitar sounds, clean and dirty, are from the Damask Metal bridge humbucker.

Left channel with gain is the Bogner Uberschall amp sim. Right channel with gain is the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rec amp sim. I used the Boss GT-1 as the effects processor and interface.

Video version will come soon.

Enjoy! Thanks!

DPaulCustom, Raiyn and IGRocker like this.
  8. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Well-Known Member

Nice work on the clip @littlebadboy, I like the shift after the halfway point.
    The pup seems to do pretty well for drop C, I'm glad it worked out.
    Thanks so much for your efforts, & for the time you spent putting the clips together, really a
    blessing to have friends like you, @IGRocker , & @Walker , to help me get the ball rolling.
    I'll keep an eye out for the video!
    Much gratitude!

littlebadboy and IGRocker like this.
  9. littlebadboy

My pleasure DPaul! Thank you for entrusting me the opportunity to demo your pup! I wish I had better gear to run it through. I've been looking at the Headrush Gigboard and the Line6 Stomp, but I can't afford them. But, I think your pup still made my Boss GT-1 drive well and sound like a thousand dollar rig! I realized that your Damask Metal can actually also produce nice cleans with the right mix. I rolled down the volume and disengaged my no load tone pot to somewhere around 7 or 8 and it gives me sweet cleans. I thought it would be the opposite being a really hot pickup, but it held well.

IGRocker likes this.