Does Distortion Make Everything Sound The Same?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by littlebadboy, Sep 7, 2019.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

As a metal/rock player, this video made me rethink pickup changes and all. I was surpised!... Dumbfounded!... So, I guess it doesn't matter in the end?

What do you guys think?

Raiyn likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, he is playing through "the most hated pedal" (even though Boss sells a crapload of them to this day) on "10". I mean, what didja expect? Any of the subtlety and nuance got clipped off the square wave.

Stillhouse likes this.
  3. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

I hope he does a follow up with the amp. My reaction was the same as his. I expected there to be a difference but not a lot.

If you're going to pile on the gain you may as well just pick a guitar you like the look and feel of cuz there's no difference in the results. I've done this at home as well and I only notice the difference with the really low end versus higher end pickups. THe higher end pickups have a tighter high end and less muddy bottom...

littlebadboy likes this.
  4. Keefoman

Keefoman Well-Known Member

If you gain up the sound like this, it doesn't really matter. Especially with that pedal. Most professional players don't use as much gain as you would think, and quite far from the amount in this video. Still, if you like it that way... :)