Epi ES-339 DOT

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Warnzy, Feb 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Warnzy

Warnzy New Member

I've just bought a second hand ES-339 DOT from a pawn shop for £180 as a project. Although there's a lot on the internet about the PRO and now the Deluxe, I can't find much about the DOT. I assume this was the first model and had a limited run, otherwise I've expected to see more about them. Anyone know much about them?

2. Dr_Martin

Dr_Martin Member

3. King B

King B Active Member

Welcome to the Honeycomb hideout Warnzy. Lots of cool stuff in here for your viewing pleasure. Congrats on your guitar purchase. Excellent choice and the proper brand! If you post a picture of it all sorts information will come your way. I had a 339 pro. I liked it better than my Dot but the neck was a little fatter I believe. Welcome aboard!

Warnzy likes this.
  4. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Member

Mine is a 2015 339 pro, still says dot es 339 on the label. I think the difference between the pro is literally just the pickups...maybe coil split? My last custom didn't have coil splits and wasn't a pro, but the pro model that came after might have had it. My 339 does have coil splits...

5. Warnzy

Warnzy New Member

Mine has coil split too. I'll have her back from the workshop next week hopefully, so I'll be able to check the old pups. I'll post some pics then, too.

6. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Member

It's a long code on a sticker, starts with AC for alnico classic and PB for probuckers...will be easy to tell.

7. Warnzy

Warnzy New Member

So, decided today to lose the split coil, on the basis that I don't really need it, and to upgrade the pots and switches. Still thinking about the bridge. Getting back next week, so I'll post pics then.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That wouldn't have been my choice. I build my axes to have more sounds rather than fewer. Different strokes.... :cheers:

Warnzy likes this.
  9. Warnzy

Warnzy New Member

20190217_084843s.jpg Here she is. Lollar Imperials replace the original Alnico pups; also new harness and frets dressed. She sounds and plays like a dream. I had a couple of Gibson 335s in the past, and neither come close to this beautiful Epi.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

This last bit says so much. With a couple mods and some effort, you too can have an axe this sweet relatively cheaply.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

She is stunning.

12. Walker

Walker Active Member

13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Cool. Glad you're happy with the improvements.