Epi Pro-1 Classic Nylon String

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by TimTheViking, Jun 14, 2019 at 1:56 PM.

1. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Active Member

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I think you should put in a piezoelectric pickup. :dude:

3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Active Member

Here's a review of the Epiphone Pro-1 Classic I recently purchased. In two words... it sucks.

Granted, it was cheap. $99 and free shipping. First, the neck relief was way off as there was none and it probably had some back bow. You couldn't play an open low E even quietly without it buzzing. You know the sound. NYARRRR... After loosening the truss rod a couple full turns it was finally able to be played quietly without buzzing but put any attack on the string and there it is. The third fret was the culprit but it was seated all the way so it would need to be addressed. The funny thing was once the low string buzz was remedied, the high strings started to buzz a bit. Nothing incredibly bad, but there just the same.

Tone quality: The low tones and sustain were OK but the tone from higher strings was weak, undefined and no sustain. That alone makes this guitar totally unacceptable. Could it be the cheap strings? Maybe but I'm not going to waste the time putting new ones on to find out. I read a few reviews on this Pro-1 Classic before ordering and they all said the tone was very good and comparable to guitars costing a lot more.

Tuners and tuning: Some were OK, but a couple were almost like there was sand in the mechanism. Not smooth at all. Even after a couple days, I have to tune it every time I pick it up. Especially the G, B and E strings. Maybe just really cheap stings?

One of the ideas behind this guitar is to make it easy to play. So Epiphone put a 1.75" neck on it instead of the usual 2.0" so that it feels more like a steel string guitar. Now my hands are not that large and even with my hands, it was extremely difficult to get clear chords or finger pick without dampening an adjacent string.

I'm also bit disappointed in Sweetwater as I seriously doubt this guitar went through their 55 point inspection before leaving. If it did, it's even a bigger fail on Sweetwater's part. This is definitely going back and I'll most likely be hitting the used market for a old Yamaha C40 or something like it.

4. RTH

RTH Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any experience with the classical, but I have a PRO-1 acoustic and all the hype about it being easier to play is hogwash.