Epiphone Amos V?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by pomaranc, May 24, 2017.

1. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Active Member

I just want to throw this out to everyone here, this is Joe's Pedalboard.....

[​IMG]

Davis Sharp likes this.
  2. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Active Member

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Blackwood Tek

70-100 years? Yeah, I'm not seeing the FSC signing off on that.

4. pomaranc

pomaranc Active Member

People really love to hate Joe, I think most people completely missed his point, I heard him a lot of times talking about how there is so many different sounds you can get from guitar and amp and that you should probably play around with that before just getting tons of pedals to tweak the tone, but that's not even what this thread is about...

5. Keefoman

Keefoman Active Member

It's all about learning to play the guitar, really. If pedals can get you further, or giving you sounds you haven't achieved on your gear, it's fine. I believe his point is that pedals and effects won't make you a better guitarplayer. :)

Scootermuppet likes this.
  6. pomaranc

pomaranc Active Member

I think he was mostly referring to people who have 50 pedals on their board but only touch volume and tone knobs on their guitar to make sure that they are all on 10. If you like to play around with pedals that's great, but don't forget about where the basis of your tone comes from.

Keefoman likes this.
  7. Keefoman

Keefoman Active Member

Well, I don't have 50 pedals on my board, but I still rely on the ones I got to get the tone I like.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  8. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Active Member

Let me be prefectly clear hear, Joe is a great Guitar player, hands down better then 99.9% of the rest. I have 0 hate for him.
    I was only commenting that while he disproves of others playing with pedals (Using them as a crutch I assume) he uses them and sells them.

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I don't hate him. I just think he's too full of himself.

10. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Keefoman likes this.
  11. Keefoman

Keefoman Active Member

Supersonic likes this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

13. Keefoman

Keefoman Active Member

14. pomaranc

pomaranc Active Member

15. Keefoman

Keefoman Active Member

In the line of all "signature" models, I'd guess? You pay a little extra for the artist name, or at least the artists collaboration, or whatever.

As Gibson themselves haven't made a proper Korina model in years, I still think this is an interesting thing, and in the line of top end Epiphones that actually are great guitars. Not just good, affordable knock-offs, or let's say Gibsons answer to Fenders Squier. :) I think both the Bonamassa Firebird and this one (we could take in the Masterbuilt series as well) may show that Epiphone is a brand to be considered, not only as Gibsons little sister.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    IGRocker likes this.
  16. John

John Active Member

I've tried to like a V just for collection purposes only but I still cant bring myself too.

17. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

From the pictures it doesn't look like it's body is not made out of Korina at all. at least not the same grade as the veneer. It's a 2 piece veneer to drive the illusion home.

http://www.hutchinsguitars.com/about-us/why-blackwood-tec.html
    If Blackwood Tek is that good, more individual builders would prefer it over the traditional fretboard woods, before CITES.
    Might be a viable alternative. Keep in mind that they use "ethical" resins to impregnate it.
    Not unethical ones like phenolic and other petroleum derivates. :dunno:

18. Keefoman

Keefoman Active Member

Don't follow you here. Korina (or African Limba) does not appear as "bright" as one would think, in pictures. Its weight will probably tell the truth, though. When it comes to fingerboard material, even the major high-end brands are cautious about "rosewood".

19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Before CITES, the corksniffers would howl to the heavens over the sacrilege of not using rosewood or ebony and you know it.

20. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

That will never change... But to be fair, I wouldn't want any other wood than Rosewood Ebony (and some others) used as fretboard.

I understand that one day, all of the materials will be synthetic one way or another, since natural resources will be depleted.
    Right now as you see, everyone claims that he has the best solution, that happens to be even better than the original materials used, but by coincidence nobody thought of ever utilizing it widely prior to CITES...