Epiphone Les Paul Junior 2020

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Drew, May 2, 2020.

1. Drew

Drew New Member

Am I only one disappointed about the new Epiphone Les Paul Junior 2020? The showed them off as looking exactly like the Gibson version with a nice tobacco burst finish. 95561728_316529912649555_3919419977022570496_n.jpg

95055142_247806076419860_3805998794202415104_n.jpg

The Gibson version:
    image.jpg
    But once the guitars were released, it looked like this, why is the burst so dark? It looks horrible, also to mention there is only a tobacco burst finish, and no sunburst finish and why put the veneer on this one when none of the other guitars in the special/junior line have one? I was really looking forward to owning one of these but the finish is just horrible. Hoping next years will be nicer.
    preview.jpg
    Screenshot_1.png

What are your thoughts?

Paruwi likes this.
  2. Norton

Norton Active Member

looks dark but well within the acceptable zone.

the bursts on vintage jr's is kind of all over the map.

personally, the only colors that I want to see jr's in are black and cherry.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  3. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

I think this would not happen with a black one.....:naughty:

Sneaks, Davis Sharp and Norton like this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

You gotta know your priorities, eh ?

You'll have to find a 2006 like so.

P90.jpg

Drew, Paruwi and Biddlin like this.
  5. Drew

Drew New Member

Yeah but I was looking forward to the CTS pots and the new headstock and redesigned logo

6. Norton

Norton Active Member

CTS pots!!???

That’s what you’re looking forward to?!!!??

7. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I didn't dare ...
    :rofl:

8. Norton

Norton Active Member

I mean the guitar is coooooooool.

Always on 10 right ?

9. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Rarely for the tone pot.

10. Norton

Norton Active Member

That does make sense. And really there is a Whole lot going on with a little volume drop to clean things up.

OP...I hope you get one and love it!!

So stinking cool. If I see one I will be struck with weakness and be forced to buy it.

BGood likes this.
  11. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

That's the funny part ...

I was there too. So stinking cool. If I see one I will be struck with weakness and be forced to buy it. Look up this thread: http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/ngd-coming.4596/

I did the same with my Holy Grail Yellow LP Special DC. When I saw it announced, I jumped on it.

Vintage.jpg

Until you play it for a while and realize it's not what you thought it would be. This one I sold because I didn't like the way it balanced when played sitting, which I do all the time.

Back to the Jr ... I just LOVE the way it feels, the big neck, the whole thing is so stinking cool. But the tone ... It is supposed to give me the bee's knees of P90s. THAT is the one guitar that started it all isn't it ? It's great ... until I compare it to my 2 other P90 guitars. A cheap Epi LP Special One with Tyson Tone Wraptail 57's in it, and a stock PRS SE Soapbar 1. On the bridge pickup only, it can't compete. I put a Loolar in the Jr, nope. I put a Tyson Tone from the Special in the Jr, nope, it doesn't add up. I even moved the pickup (without modifying the pickup route) as much as I could farther from the bridge to make it growl deeper. Nope, both others sound better.

Kind of pisses me off. I really really want to love it. I'm at a point where I'm thinking of widening the P90 route to push the pickup further from the bridge. That is the only reason I see why the LP Special sound more aggressive; more space in that area. Scary thing to do, since the dogear cover won't hide the extra width of the hole. Ishhh ... but still.

So yes, it can be versatile, but it could be so much more. Some will say it's not for me if I'm not OK with a single pickup. That's not it. I want this Jr to sound like it should sound. If I can't figure it out, I''ll sell it, like I did for th Holy Grail Yellow DC.

12. Norton

Norton Active Member

oh man... the pickup placement thing is so REAL.

If you can keep hold of some joy during the search and discovery....then you always wind up winning!

plus, MORE GUITARS!

13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Priorities man.

Norton likes this.
  14. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Oh, the fun is there for sure.

Norton likes this.
  15. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers New Member

How's it with the P90?

Juniors are generally degraded for a number of reasons, basically 'cause of only one pup and generally small and thin. Leslie West played one and it looked like a toothpick he was holding.

I don't have a lot of experience with Juniors other than finding beater to refurbish for fun. Les Pauls obviously have more balls but this one 2011 Junior I picked up to fix and move really has very good tone and superior sustain, great tone knob too. Actually quite surprised; all stock- import pots, wiring and Epi humbucker...

16. RR-Ramblers

RR-Ramblers New Member

LP Jr. 2007 Black.jpg

Paruwi likes this.
  17. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Gibson Juniors are the same size/thickness as any Les Paul. The Epiphone '57 RI and the new 2020 are also full thickness.

The thin ones we see everywhere that sell for ± $100 are the bolt on neck with humbuckers.

Any guitar would have looked like a toothpick on Leslie.

18. Maguchi

Maguchi New Member

TV yellow is the classic color and my favorite.