Epiphone Les Paul Special I -Top to Bottom Mods

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Davis Sharp, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

So, I mentioned before that I scored a P90 machine for ~$65 ($85 CAD, €56, £50) with a trade-in. Here's what I did to it.

Tuners: The trapezoid tuners were inconsistent - some stiff, some loose. I opened them up and put a drop of oil in, but they were still unsatisfactory. So I ordered a set of Musiclily, chrome 3+3 half-moon tuners on Amazon. It matches my other Epis and I like the look better.
    [​IMG]

Nut: Graphtech. It pretty much dropped in. I didn't have to sand the bottom, only the sides.
    [​IMG]

Pickups: OK, the real reason for buying this guitar was to have a place for my Rose Eden P90s. Out came the stock P90s and in went the Edens. I ordered black covers, as the Edens came with white. Unlike most P90 sets, for which the bridge pup pole spacing is about 2mm more than the neck, the spacings on the Edens are the same. So I got 2 covers with 50 mm spacings.
    [​IMG]

Shields. I shielded the pickup cavities, the insides of the covers, and cavity. It's a much quieter guitar now. For a while it was too quiet because a wire or tone pot lug was touching the copper tape and shorting it out. So I put some electrical tape on the cavity wall next to the tone pot lugs.
    [​IMG]

Bridge/tailpiece. I replaced the compensated (lightning?) b/tp with a Musiclily Pigtail-style intonatable, wraparound bridge. As mentioned in another thread, the Pigtail-style is shorter (top to bottom) than the Badass style and the difference in action is about 1mm.
    [​IMG]

The whole thing, which looks like the old thing.
    [​IMG]

BTW, it's a "Limited Edition Custom Shop" guitar. ;) That should command a $1 mark up on eBay.
    [​IMG]

2. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

I like it. Fun little project with excellent results.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  3. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

awesome little work horse !

Davis Sharp likes this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Nice job Davis ! Kind of similar to what I did to mine, except for Tyson Tone Wraptails '57s P90, knobs and toggle ring gone.

I've seen that black body polished to a shine somewhere and it looks fabulous, with the grain really standing out. Should have told you that before you finished your project eh ? I'll try polishing the back of mine.

180606-.jpg

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Nice job Davis, looks great.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Did you remember to connect all the shields together?

7. Davis Sharp

I ran the tape over the rim of the pickup covers so that they contact the cavity shield. Similarly, the control cavity cover is shielded and contacts the cavity tape. I didn't connect the chambers. I guess I could use a strand of copper wire, but I didn't think of it and the guitar is quiet.

8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Not good, you want it to be LOUD !

Davis Sharp likes this.
  9. Davis Sharp

:D
    It doesn't hum. It roars.
    :dude:

BGood likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You could. I typically use a bit of 18awg silver plated buss wire soldered to the tape, but anything would work. Do your P90's use braided shield wire? You could solder a short wire to the floor of the cavity and tie into the braid....