Epiphone Pro models

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Brian16sg, May 26, 2018.

1. Brian16sg

Brian16sg New Member

Hi I just joined today new . Just picked up a used 2016 SG Pro last week . I'm a beginner learning all the ins and outs of guitars and gear. Wile researching it got me wondering. On the Pro models say less Paul, ES 339,ES 355 ext . Do they all share the same guts as in pick ups, pots and wiring ? I wondering if there's a big difference in the sound of each one to another.

2. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Well-Known Member

The guitar bodyshape (les paul, sg, v, explorer etc) and construction (solid,hollow,semihollow) plays a big part on how the guitar will sound, in my books, that as as Important as scale length.
    Then it comes down to the wood and finally pups.

Generally they can produce the same "type" of sound, but each will give it, it's own twist.
    Les Pauls have thick poweful sound. (think of them as bodybuilders)
    SG, Explorer and V, have a thinner (more fluid) sound (think of them as sprinters)

More or less yes all those guitar have the same, or similar hardware.
    From wires to bridges to pots, etc.
    Pups are different per model or year,you can look it up at the epiphone website.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

Welcome Brian, can't really add anything to what Shadow Explorer said.

Shadow Explorer, Stuart and Paruwi like this.
  4. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

the pro designates that it has the push pull pots, i believe.
    somebody slap meh if i'm outta line on that.

5. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

My LP 60's Tribute Plus has p/p pots.
    Slap yourself, I'm too far.

6. sliberty

sliberty Active Member

Not all Pro models have the same pickups. My LP Plustop Pro has Probuckers 2 & 3 pickups. My 335 Pro has Alnico Classics. I believe the Traditional Pro has one of each. Odds are that pits and caps and switch and jack are the same in all humbucker equipped Pro models, but the P90 equipped models won’t have push pull pots.

IGRocker likes this.
  7. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

well, the tp's def have push/pull, but i'll slap myself anyway, i need it.

Stuart and BGood like this.
  8. sliberty

sliberty Active Member

Many of the Pro models, but not all, have push pull pots to split the coils. One example that doesn't (for obvious reasons - single coil P90 pickups) is the 56 Pro. Those push pull pots are no bargain though IMHO. First off, I don't like the sound of split humbuckers (YMMV). But more importantly, the pots used are crap. The shafts have pulled right out of the pot for many of us. And they use that stupid "quick connect" system that restricts you when you want to make any sort of changes, like replacing the crappy push pull pots. So I typically remove the whole wiring harness, cut the connectors of of the pickup and switch wiring, ream the holes, and replace with proper CTS pots (non-push-pull), new caps, etc. Personally, I prefer linear taper volume pots, so I end up doing this even on guitars that have OK pots.

Pickups vary by model. For example, in my 335 Pro, I have Alnico Classics. In my LP Std PTP, I have Probucker 2&3's. I understand that the Traditionals have one of each, etc. All good pickups though.

There can also be other small details that differ. Some Pros have bindings or different fretboard inlays that regular models might not have, etc.

My sense, although I can't prove it, is that the Pros are also setup a bit better than the non-Pro models, but of course that can always be corrected after the fact anyway.

The Pro models are great guitars in general (I have 3, including the 56 Pro). I am sure you will enjoy the SG Pro.

9. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

^Wot he said ‘bout wot he said ^