Fender Super 112

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by King B, Feb 9, 2019 at 6:52 PM.

1. King B

King B Active Member

A good friend has offered me this 165 watt amp for $175 US. He said it works well but is a "little noisey".? I believe it is a tube amp but I know nothing about them. I'd like to hear pros and cons if anyone has them. School me if you will.
    imagejpeg_0.jpg imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2019 at 7:10 PM
  2. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

Well, I know people that have these and they like them a lot, especially for the cleans and the great reverb (the onboard overdrive sucks, though). They are a tube amp, but only 60 watts, not 165w. But then again, 60 tube watts is loud. As for the noise, it could be tubes (any or all of them). More than likely though its caused by dirty power (get a power conditioner), a bad ground or local fluorescent lights. Even standing too close to the amp with single coil pickups can cause noise. Any way for you to try it in a different environment, like your place, to see if that helps?

Personally, I prefer tube amps. They can be a bit of a pain when it comes time to replace them, but the sounds that they produce are worth it. I'd retube it (save the pulls for spares, tubes do go out), a good set shouldn't be more than $100. Don't buy cheap tubes, you won't like you amp if you do. When I buy a new tube amp, I budget 50-60% of the amp cost, for good tubes. Not saying you should too, just don't cheap out. Good luck with it, hope that it works out for you.

King B likes this.
  3. King B

King B Active Member

Thanks Tweed26. I'd been looking at an Epiphone tube amp when he made the offer. They're both WAY to big for me! I'm always up for experienced input and I want to get a tube amp. I'm seeing micro amps and extension cabs but... Not sure. Tube combo? Anybody...