Fire in Notre Dame Cathedral....

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Paruwi, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yes first thing that struck me when I opened up the ABC site this morning.

We were there last year and it was so popular that access was 2 hours and long queues! We were on a day trip so didn’t have the time to go in unfortunately.

It is (was) a beautiful and historic building and a major tourist destination for the millions of tourists that visit that beautiful city each year.

Sadly with all the recent troubles in Paris, we might have seen the best of it?

I sincerely hope that it wasn't arson.

Paruwi likes this.
  3. Cenz

Cenz Active Member

I understand it was an accident caused by the renovations. I believe it was oily rags/welding torches. But that’s speculation.

The priceless artifacts were removed before the spire/roof collapsed.

This is from a French reporter on the scene.

Digger and Paruwi like this.
  4. Cenz

Cenz Active Member

Reporter on scene is Nicolas Dellesal

Digger likes this.
  5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

They did remove some of the statues and other artefacts that were in the way of the renovation. I wonder, though about the stained glass windows, the pews, and the frieze insider.

6. Cenz

Cenz Active Member

Been following this. Nicolas Dellesale has reported all of the irreplaceable religious artifacts were all saved, including the Crown of Thorns. The basic structure has been saved as well as the full north belfrey. The south belfrey has been lightly damaged. The inside of the cathedral, including the altar as well as the stained glass has been pretty much destroyed.

My understanding is the French Fire Brigade is one of the best in the world and they undoubtedly saved it from being totally destroyed.

As of last check, no lives were lost and it looks as though it was an accident due to the restoration.

7. Davis Sharp

I'm an atheist, so I don't place much (ahem) faith in the beliefs that the building represents, but it contains a lot of history and art. Here are some photos I took of the artifacts inside, and a few outside. I don't see how they could rescue the frieze and some of the statues in time. I hope they were not damaged.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JCo4UNZZ4BNJiFXu9

Raiyn likes this.
  8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I’m an atheist too but that aside it has been a wonderful attraction in a city that has much to offer!

Here they seem to be less willing to attribute the fire to a construction accident and I think that’s because there have been a chain of attacks on Catholic churches there in recent times.

I guess that in a week we should have a better idea. I truly hope it was an accident.

9. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

It is a sad and tragic loss to history. All that scaffolding didn’t help.

Raiyn likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The big circular (forgot the official name) stained glass window was replaced in the 60's.

The upside to this, is that now the French have something to rally around, this is one of those cross-cultural events that can draw folks together. True believers and skeptics can acknowledge the history and heritage of the building.

Further on the bright side, the building wasn't a total loss and new insights and knowledge can be gleaned from the recovery efforts.

Besides, if they can rebuild Montecassino Abbey (which was at first destroyed by Allied forces, and then further ground into rubble battling Germans using the ruins as cover) there's no reason a motivated nation backed by worldwide goodwill (and donations) can't rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral.

Vive Notre Dame!

11. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Just terrible...

Bloody careless ‘tradies’ :mad:

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We don't know that carelessness caused this, all we have are theories and supposition. It could have been faulty equipment just as easily as anything else. Being a skilled tradesman is a fine profession due as much respect as any academic. Sure, architects make the plans, but skilled labor makes it come together.

IGRocker likes this.
  13. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Sure... skilled & careful tradesmen are undoubtedly worth their coin... but my life experience, including undertaking major hotel developments, some with heritage components, in four different countries, is that they are far outnumbered by bloody careless tradies... time will tell :rolleyes:

14. Davis Sharp

I hope there was some sort of insurance on the structure and against loss of tourism income. The Pope should open the Vatican's purses to cover the remainder. No need for hard working Catholics to see another collection plate.

Raiyn and Stuart like this.
  15. Cenz

Cenz Active Member

Latest. North Rose Window saved. Altar only partially damaged. Interior of cathedral is not as bad as first thought.

From French Press and Firefighters.

Paruwi and Raiyn like this.
  16. Otto99

Otto99 Well-Known Member

Just saw where the organ was saved as well.

Cenz and Paruwi like this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Haven't had the news on yet, but good to hear.

18. Cenz

Cenz Active Member

Photographer Philippe Wegenaz (not sure if it is spelled right) was allowed in for a brief time. As Otto said the organ was saved. The cross behind the altar was undamaged. The pews towards the main entrance appear undamaged. It looks like most of the stained glass on the front facade (which I think is the North entrance) appear to be smoke damaged only, but it’s hard to tell from the picture. The votive candle holders also seemed to escape damage.

The walls in the cathedral look smoke damaged only. The altar itself appears to have some minor damage, but it’s hard to tell in the picture.

A French billionaire who I think they said is Selma Hayek’s husband, pledged 113 million towards restoration.

Investigators say it is a restoration accident, regardless of what other nonsense is being said.

French Fire Brigade deserves multiple props and accolades.

Raiyn likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's the impression I've had since the beginning. CNN had a professor (fire dynamics or something) who pointed out that the fuel load was up high and fed by the large open air space below it. Apparently this is a common phenomenon in traditional church structures.

It was a bad situation all around for fire fighters as the bridges to the island are narrow and the fire occurred during rush hour.

He also debunked this notion I've been seeing of air drops of water, while good intentioned would have been disastrous. Fixed wing craft couldn't hit it precisely, and the thermal situation made helicopters unable to fly over the building. Even if you had a theoretical craft capable of hovering in those conditions the sheer weight of the water crashing would / could cause structural integrity issues.

Frankly I'm awe struck that the Paris Fire Department was able to save as much of the structure and contents as they were. They should be commended for their actions and bravery.
    Couldn't agree more.

Cenz likes this.
  20. Cenz

Cenz Active Member

Saw a new picture from Philippe W. It looks like most of the damage in the cathedral is from falling debris. I'm simply guessing due to not knowing the orientation of the building is that the west wall is totally undamaged, the east wall has smoke and falling debris damage .

The wall behind the altar looks undamaged, except for what looks like smoke/soot.

North facade mostly smoke/soot.
    North facade stained glass heavily caked with soot, but not broken.

Howard Kravis has pledged 10 mil to the restoration.

As Raiyn said, fire appears to have started high up, maybe in the spire. Building was on fire for 23 minutes before it was noticed and alarm sounded.

Not 100% positive, but looks like only one firefighter was injured.

Viva le France!

IGRocker likes this.