Fishing Expedition

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by SaltyDog, Jul 13, 2018.

1. SaltyDog

SaltyDog New Member

Old newbie here. I have a 2017 Dot (Natural) which I like very much. However, I would like to change the neck pickup to a SD APH-1n. I could clip the leads near the old pickup, but I'd rather do it the proper way. My question is if there is enough wire between the neck volume and neck tone to remove just the volume pot through the f-hole, leaving the tone pot in place?

Will I have to remove the neck tone pot too, and then fish it back? Or maybe more?

Thanks in advance.

2. vomer

vomer Well-Known Member

Hi SaltyDog, welcome. I've been through the f-hole on 335-style guitars many times. If you tie a piece of strong nylon thread around the base of the neck tone pot shaft and let it drop into the body you should be able to fish the neck volume pot out. You will probably have to let the switch drop in as well. The switch and neck volume pot are fairly easy to put back without thread, but thread can help and gives a little extra peace of mind. And, watch out for washers between the pot, and switch, and the inside of the body, these can fall in without you noticing.

I always put insulation tape around the f-holes to protect the edges, and cover the top of the guitar with thick cloth to guard against solder splatter. It's like a law of physics, solder never splatters unless it has a guitar finish (or an exposed body part) to land on.

But yes, I'd never just cut the wires.

And say 'hello' in the Introductions thread!

Raiyn likes this.
  3. SaltyDog

SaltyDog New Member

Thanks, vomer. Especially for the heads up about the interior washers. I was hoping I didn't have to remove most of the wiring harness, and now the procedure sounds enticingly doable. (Although I'm sure I'll screw something up along the way).

Gary

vomer likes this.
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's half the fun! Then when you fix it (or upgrade the parts) you have a deeper connection to it.

vomer likes this.
  5. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Active Member

Why do it that way? You may want to change again.
    When I rewired my Sheraton, it was because of harness rot, so I had to take everything out - but I still ran a pigtail out to the p/ups so, should the mood arise, I can easily change them without pulling anything else.

Raiyn likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to Epi-Talk.

I found this video helpful when I modded my semi-hollow Gretsch.