For Foods Sake!!!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Stuart, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

OK boys & girls... it looks like I’m here now... so you might as well know a little about me...

Apart from getting a somewhat irrational buzz outta hunting down & very poorly playing 1990s MIK Epis, & being an avid ‘pro picker’ (‘American Picker’s Mike Wolfe is my hero), I have been a hotelier since the early 1980s... so enjoying good food & drink, without getting wanky about it, is something I really dig...

Just had a great spontaneous (like we had no reservation & I was still wearing my treasured Epi T-Shirt, jeans and thongs) dinner out with an equally casually dressed Mrs Eggs, post her regular sailing day, at a local suburban Sydney cafe restaurant called, for reasons I won’t bore you with, The Butcher’s Apprentice...

We shared generous tasting plates of Grilled Market Fish, BBQ Queensland Prawns & Octopus, a fabulous Heritage Tomato Salad w/ Dried Capers served with a really tasty Sour Dough, all herbed, seasoned & cooked perfectly & accompanied by a very pretty & appropriately dry bottle of Rose... Desserts were a rich Chocolate Mouse Tart & Cherry Pavlova... We were, suffice to say, very happy with our Saturday night!

So this got me thinking... What ‘floats your boat’ when it comes to food... & don’t be shy here hey, coz I’m absolutely as happy to talk about a simple well made pizza as I am to discuss the so called ‘fine foods’ ... I just wanna know what’s worth eating in your neck of the probably CITES protected woods :drool:

2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

OK I’ll play!

[​IMG]

Stuart, Paruwi and Lancpudn like this.
  3. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

Yep another pie man here. :D

[​IMG]

Stuart and Paruwi like this.
  4. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

I don't even know where to start. I love to cook. I like pretty much all seafood and fish. I've been on a tuna kick lately. Get a nice tuna steak, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with lemon pepper and sear that sucker in a screaming hot pan until crusty (not burnt) on the outside and a little rare in the middle. Throw it on a plate with some asparagus and a lemon wedge or 2. Yum.

I can make a pretty damn good Chicken Cordon Bleu among other things. Skirt steak Chimichurri is always a good one. Oh hell I could go on and on...

Sometimes simple stuff like a burger on the grill tastes as good as anything.

Fancy or simple, I'm not usually too picky about what the food is, but I'm a lot picky about how it's prepared.

Never been a wine guy, but as you know, I have quite the affection for beer :naughty:

Stuart and Paruwi like this.
  5. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

Besides our traditional meals....like
    [​IMG]
    'Schweins-Haxe mit Sauerkraut'

[​IMG]
    'Zwiebel-Rostbraten mit Spätzle'

We love some 'Balkan-cuisine' and/or 'Mediteranean-cuisine'

[​IMG]

Dun Ringill, Stuart and Supersonic like this.
  6. Supersonic

Pete all of that looks freakin' delicious :drool:

Paruwi likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

SWMBO and I go nuts at the Sushi bar every so often.

Stuart likes this.
  8. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Well, you do live on the Meat Pie production capital of Australia!

Digger likes this.
  9. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

This requires way more explanation please (including your choice of accompanying beverage)

10. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

@Supersonic & @Paruwi
    Love ya work guys... & that Tuna cooking tutorial was pro standard Mike... Try that exact dish with a generous fork twist of Udon Noodles tossed in Hoisin Sauce also.

& @Raiyn , our alternative last night was a new Sushi place called, also weirdly, The Blue Lemon... We shall report back here on our next visit!

Raiyn and Supersonic like this.
  11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how popular this is in the rest of the country, but there are lots of small and cheap Peruvian rotisserie chicken restaurants in my area. The flavor and the price are why people call it "crack chicken." It's that addictive.

A whole chicken with a large portion of fries/chips, rice and beans, and green beans is about $25 US ($32 AUD or E20). Most of the places are counter service and it doesn't take a lot of staff time to make the chicken, which accounts for the price.

[​IMG]

Some like it with yucca and salad
    [​IMG]

12. John

John Well-Known Member

No pics but just had a Philly Steak and Cheese with beer batter dipped onion rings at our favorite restaurant.

texred, Davis Sharp and Stuart like this.
  13. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

@Davis Sharp You’ve got Mrs Eggs & I google searching Peruvian Chicken options in Sydney for lunch today.

@John I’ve heard people mention Philly Steaks before... What exactly is that?

& I didn’t do in-restaurant pics last night either, coz that’s really the domain of teenage girls... Regularly take food prep pics at home though...Here’s a ‘Leftovers Family Pie’ I made last weekend:

417DFD53-6E6B-4A72-BADC-02C7C1997637.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    John and Paruwi like this.
  14. Supersonic

What's inside the pie? There could be anything in there...:ohno:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Stuart likes this.
  15. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Glad you asked Mike (he said, taking the tension up a notch on the reel)...

I had leftover Bolognaise, mashed potatos & sweet potato, and we always over prep for our traditional Friday night pizza production (some Passata / Tomoto Paste mix, diced Capsicum, Onion, Mushrooms & even a little finely diced Perreroni, which gave it a nice lift). Tossed it all into a Puff Pastry based and topped pie dish, and then into the oven until the pastry was clearly doing it’s thing.

250059BB-4487-477F-A8AC-C47F69690E44.jpeg

Davis Sharp and Supersonic like this.
  16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Four and twenty blackbirds.

Digger and Stuart like this.
  17. Supersonic

Man you guys down there put everything in pies. I eat chicken pot pie every now and then but that's about it as far as pies go.

texred and Stuart like this.
  18. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

They actually commercially produce a meat pie called ‘Four n Twenty’ in @Digger ’s neighbourhood... & it ain’t too shabby :thumb:

Davis Sharp likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

For lunch today I had:
    The Woody
    [​IMG]
    Pastrami, Swiss Cheese, Honey Mustard, Thousand Island, Southern Slaw & Red Onions

On sourdough.

Good stuff.

Stuart likes this.
  20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Patties Foods the biggest pie manufacturer in the WORLD is just a few kilometres from me as Stu has alluded to and I understand that they undertook marketing trials in the US as recently as last year. I have a friend in management there and I shall seek information as to the results of said trial.

“Dog’s Eyes” are a big thing in Oz up to and including some gourmet award winning products.

Bit like hotdogs in the states I suppose.

texred and Stuart like this.