For Foods Sake!!!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Stuart, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

It’s been kind of a rough couple of weeks at Chez H’omelette, & I’m sure that I haven’t been the easiest person to be around...

A five hour freeway breakdown / retrieval on the eve of Mrs Eggs & my 35th wedding anniversary saw us miss a planned special dinner for two, & that the car issue is yet to be resolved means that grocery shopping has been curtailed & the fridge / pantry are getting a bit skinny...

But I think that I’ll score some brownie points with this bit of creativity for tonight’s dinner shortly, based around some humble BBQ Beef Sausages & lacking any proper greens:

D46AF304-EF35-4D57-8E47-E1B3EB74E5E5.jpeg
    C285352C-5B8F-4F43-ACBD-C392EB2DD959.jpeg

From L to R: Salted Corn, Red Capsicum Carriages w/ Basil (both bound for the flat grill, alongside those snags on the BBQ bars), & a Red Cabbage Coleslaw w/ Lime Juice & Chilli...

C4B9714B-42B4-4B14-B90F-B0EA00CD9418.jpeg

Bubbling away in the background are some Brandy Caramel Apples (our last two) which I will serve with a good Vanilla Ice Cream...

72114862-B28B-42F9-BDB5-38DD9AA76DDF.jpeg

& our back verandah really isn’t too bad a location for a make up dinner on a lovely Sydney summer evening... Anyway boys, gotta go now, as Mrs Eggs has been gardening in the front yard all afternoon & has no idea that this is happening ;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 5:44 AM
    Supersonic and Digger like this.
  2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Necessity is the mother of invention, so I’ve heard say.

Nothing wrong with snags every now and then and you make it into a gourmet experience! I hope your larder makes a full recovery.

I also hope you had a lovely evening in that gorgeous leafy suburb you live in.

Are you back to one vehicle these days?

Stuart likes this.
  3. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Yep, some feral ran into the back of Mrs Eggs car at speed while she was at a standstill at an local intersection & wrote it off... Having only one car is a bit of a hassle sometimes, but two cars are just too expensive to maintain.

4. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

That was really bad luck mate.

I suppose at least you have alternatives nearby (?), but we have to run 2 cars living out in the sticks. If we only had one I’d have to book a month in advance to get a turn...Grin~

I take it Mrs E wasn’t hurt, at least I hope not?

Stuart likes this.
  5. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Very luckily not, as the guy’s huge ute shunted her straight out into the middle of this busy intersection, which sits atop of a hill crest. An approaching flat top truck had to swerve towards the oncoming traffic to avoid totally t-boning her car.

6. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Geez that sounds close.

Just glad she’s OK mate, give her our love please.

Stuart likes this.
  7. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

But back on topic...

My tribe weren’t thrilled at the prospect of the Lamb Grillers I purchased, so I’ve transformed them into a Mongolian Style Stir Fry for tonight’s dinner...

78121FE9-CF34-408B-AABD-9C5D5321D492.jpeg

To the resulting 500gm of thinly cut Lamb Strips I added 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoons Soy Bean Sauce (probably should really use Black Bean Sauce, but I didn’t have any in the pantry), 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar, 2 crushed Garlic Cloves, 1 teaspoon finely grated Ginger & 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice Powder...

1930D39B-9366-4424-A494-8F6E16E662DC.jpeg

All that done, it’s covered & into the fridge to marinate for a few hours.

18676062-19A6-4A50-B951-749FB10D828F.jpeg

To be continued...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 11:23 PM
    Supersonic likes this.
  8. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Those chops are also nice with seasoning in between and baked.

However “Mongolian” is one of our favourites so please continue........

Stuart likes this.
  9. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

They were quite skinny.... Do you stack them with the seasoning in between, or do you stand them up some how?

Shall do, as soon as Mrs Eggs resumes her ‘mild, mannered, post-work persona’ this evening... but for now, I’m in a self imposed exile with the Boys, who enjoyed lamb offcuts earlier, having just vacuumed (hoovered) & mopped all the hard surface floors at ‘Stately Chez H’omelette’

512EB224-5E84-4CF0-9DF9-5FB020AB681E.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 11:47 PM
  10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Sorry missed your question about baked leg chops.

Non specific stuffing, herbs onion & garlic fresh stuff, chunky and dried chopped apricots in the mix too. 2 chops flat with 1/2” stuffing in between. Gravity holds them through the baking. Oh yeah each set of 2 chops is wrapped in bacon & baked.

We treat it like a roast as far as veggies go though potatoes small pieces smaller than usual roast spuds.

Gael also does a killer veggie stew (with chops) the meat being incidental. Everyone loves it! I could give you the recipe but then I’d have to kill you~

Stuart likes this.
  11. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

“Great food & beverages are some of the very few things that I am willing to die for”
    Me... Just then :lol:

Mongolian Style Stir Fry Lamb (slight refrain):

20BBFE8B-A447-4AF8-9901-657E02A4ECCF.jpeg

1. Thinly slice a bunch of Spring Onions crossways (a couple of medium sized Brown Onions quartered then separated works fine also), 2. Prepare a 1/2 cup of Beef Stock (I’m cheating with a scant teaspoon of Vegemite dissolved in boiling water), 3. Diagonally cut a few Shallots in short sections, &
    4. Mix 1 teaspoon of Cornflour into a paste (roux) with 1 teaspoon of water.

E3A39A9C-1B44-4CA2-85C9-821DD783595D.jpeg

5. Cook your onions in 1 tablespoon of Peanut Oil until soft (about 2 minutes), 6. Add your Lamb, Beef Stock, 1 tablespoon extra Soy Sauce & 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil & bring to the boil, then 6. Add the roux & cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens (about 3 minutes), 7. Stir through half the Shallots & finally 8. Serve with steamed Long Grain Rice & top with remaining Shallots

EDIT: Well, timing got a bit outta whack tonight, & before I knew what had happened this was all I had left to show y’all as an end product...

710AEC59-BF6B-431E-9C24-FB3CD80E623A.jpeg

I s’pose the tribe liked it :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    Supersonic likes this.
  12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Learning that.... Apparently the old car gets jealous of the attention the new one gets.

Stuart and Digger like this.
  13. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Had a killer BBQ last night on a beautiful evening!

I wrapped bacon around a couple of bits of eye fillet and added flat chips cooked on the plate, a large corn fritter and a home grown egg. Yummo!

I’m trying to wean Gael away from medium cooked steak and she raved about the “Medium rare” I presented her last night.

Now what can I do tonight?

Stuart and Raiyn like this.
  14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

"2. Prepare a 1/2 cup of Beef Stock (I’m cheating with a scant teaspoon of Vegemite dissolved in boiling water)”

I
    would have just dipped a cows hoof in for the flavour!

Oh sorry, we aren’t allowed to talk about "cows hoofs" are we?

Just ignore me I’m rambling.

It was the war you know....chuckle~

Stuart and Raiyn like this.
  15. Otto99

Otto99 Active Member

OK, that’s it, I’m going to the international market and getting a jar of Vegemite. I may regret it, but I’ve eaten and like what a lot of people think is weird or an acquired taste before, and a few million of you guys can’t all be wrong! What is the suggested delivery method for the Vegemite Virgin?

16. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Me, I mainly have it on a couple of slices of toasted, buttered bread but go easy on the amount at first, it is an acquired taste.

Others might have a poached or fried egg on top but I prefer the taste of our homegrown eggs unadulterated.

Stuart is far more adventurous than I am and might have other ideas for you.

Stuart likes this.
  17. Otto99

Otto99 Active Member

Anything can be palatable with a fried egg on it! I figured toast was the best introduction. When I get over to the market, I’ll post my review.

18. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Enjoying the vey same for a late brekkie as I type...breakfast of champions!

Bella is sitting waiting for the crusts......even Aussie dogs like vegemite!

Stuart likes this.
  19. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

I totally concur @Otto99

20. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

WE didn’t feel like cooking last night so decided to run into town and have a meal at the Italian-Australian Club which is the closest place to us here. Wednesday is International Parma night and the one I love is Mongolian and I always get extra sauce!

This looks disgusting but let me tell you, it was beautiful!
    upload_2019-2-14_6-58-9.jpeg

There’s a bunch of beer battered chips hiding underneath. One of the other international selections was “Brazilian” and let me tell you that one comes with nothing on the chicken snitzel at all....Grin~

Stuart, Raiyn and Supersonic like this.