Former Fleetwood Mac Guitarist Danny Kirwan Dead at 68

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Fullmoon 1971, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 Well-Known Member

Danny Kirwan, the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist who played on five of the British band's albums, died Friday at the age of 68.

Mick Fleetwood, who recruited the then-18-year-old Kirwan to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, confirmed Kirwan's death with a tribute on the band's Facebook. No cause of death was announced.

"Today was greeted by the sad news of the passing of Danny Kirwan in London, England. Danny was a huge force in our early years. His love for the Blues led him to being asked to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, where he made his musical home for many years," Fleetwood wrote.

"Danny's true legacy, in my mind, will forever live on in the music he wrote and played so beautifully as a part of the foundation of Fleetwood Mac, that has now endured for over fifty years. Thank you, Danny Kirwan. You will forever be missed!"

Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac following the release of 1968's Mr. Wonderful – his first appearance with the band was their Number One single "Albatross" – and would record five albums with the band while serving as guitarist and singer: 1969's Then Play On (the band's last Peter Green album) and Blues Jam at Chess, 1970's Kiln House, 1971's Future Games and 1972's Bare Trees.

I was lucky enough to meet Danny at a Peter Green Splinter Group gig in 1999 and found him to be a truly friendly, funny & humble man who didn't think the records he'd played on where such a big deal. I had the honor of staying in touch with him off and on from then on, with him even coming and stay with me for a while in 2002.

So long Danny you will be missed.

2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

3. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

The guy was a master at finger vibrato and a talented player, all around. My favorite version of FM is him and Bob Welch. Too bad. Fullmoon, lucky you to meet and know him.

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm a Buckingham / Nicks man myself...

5. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Active Member

He sounds like great Man and I was lucky to have older siblings playing the " Mac ", way back in the day.
    He will do well in the next World !!!!
    Journey well .... DANNY KIRWAN !!!!!

6. Juke Box

Juke Box Active Member

Take a good look at Peter Green's neck pickup in the "Oh Well" video. It's sunk on one end