Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by A_ChordWithNoName, Jun 11, 2019.

1. A_ChordWithNoName

A_ChordWithNoName Member

I have Fretbuzz on the E and A string
    YouTube video says to push down on the first and last fret
    And it should leave clearance between the E string. in the middle of the fret board
    there's no clearance.
    Would a truss bar adjustment work

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Maybe.
    The geometry of the guitar is relatively simple. A complete setup is possibly the solution and very doable. Tuned to your usual pitch,
    begin by setting the bridge height for frets 17-22 so that the strings play buzz free at the lowest possible height.

Start with low E. Lower the bass side until it buzzes, raise until clear. Check A and D raise slightly if needed to get clean notes. Then do the treble side. If you bend notes up here, try a few typical bends, to make sure they don't buzz out.

When all strings play clean go to the lower frets and neck relief. Play the high E string from fret 1 to fret 16, increasing relief (loosening trussrod) to relieve buzz or decreasing relief (tightening trussrod) to lower the string height. So tighten, by fractional turns, until it buzzes and back off until it doesn't. If you bend strings , do your typical bends to insure they don't buzz out. Once satisfied, check the other strings and make small adjustments as needed.

Once you have acceptable relief, i.e. no buzz and easy action, set your intonation and you're done.

A_ChordWithNoName likes this.
  3. A_ChordWithNoName

A_ChordWithNoName Member

Thank You

BGood and Biddlin like this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I use Biddlin's foolproof method.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

+1 to Biddlin! I would like to add to his comment by mentioning that if you have recently changed your strings to a lighter gauge than you were previously using that will require a truss rod adjustment, if no adjustment is made then you will get some buzz and you will need to increase neck relief (loosen the truss rod a bit)

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Biddlin likes this.
  7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Worth it just to learn "Whole lotta love" riff from Joe. I like the pickup height adjustment section, too.

8. RTH

RTH Moderator Staff Member

Since its just the E and A, one thing to consider is the condition of the the nut slots and bridge saddles. If you can't work out the buzz to an acceptable action height, inspect those two areas for excessive wear.

9. A_ChordWithNoName

A_ChordWithNoName Member

Thanks for the replies
    Im thinking its not the saddle or nut, There cant be much wear
    bought about a month ago.
    I'm a little Leary about making any adjustments other than the truss rod

10. RTH

RTH Moderator Staff Member

Not so fast...
    Check the nut anyway. It's not uncommon to get a nut that has been cut too deep at the factory . I got one on a SG Jr. brand new. It only takes a minute.

11. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Well-Known Member

Definitely the truss rod, just loosen it about a 1/4 turn, let it settle in over night and check it. If that doesn't take care of it go for another 1/4 turn. This will raise the action a bit so you will have to adjust the bridge accordingly.

Just as a side note, I had this ongoing issue with one of my guitars, turned out to be some high frets above the 12th fret. Nothing a file and some sandpaper can't fix!