Getting old sucks

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Lancpudn, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Its about learning to continually accept & adjust.

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Member

Getting old can suck, but the alternative is worse :)

3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

How do you know?

4. duceditor

duceditor Active Member

By watching nature. Every creature instinctively flees or fights to avoid "the alternative." For themselves and for their offspring.

Digger likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Good answer.

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

So far, the worst part about my aging, is that I can no longer drink ales. Something about them (maybe the hops content?) gives me massive headaches. I get a hangover without having been drunk. So it's lagers, pilsners, and wheat beers for me. Fortunately, I don't drink that much.

I empathize with your digital clock problem. That was a very good solution. :h5:

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Try ciders and meads. SWMBO was diagnosed with Celiac's a few years back, so I / we switched and have been exploring that avenue for a while. Zero regrets.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  8. The Convert

The Convert Active Member

Worst thing about my aging is I can't drink because of my meds now. Oh, and the reason I take them, of course. :-/

9. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I gave up drinking some 14 months ago and don't miss it at all.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  10. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Active Member

While I am by no means lacking in the aches-and-pains department, that is not why I have been bemoaning the pain of getting old lately.

Feb. 13, Mick Scott, greatest all-round guitarist ever, first person I did sound for full time, and my closest friend for 40 years, died.

Mar. 28, Dr. Jim Dasch, a friend since kindergarden, died.

Apr. 1 (my b-day), blues legend Lonnie Brooks, who I did sound for on many occassions.

Somewhere in July, Rich Clark, who befriended me at Boy Scout camp 50 years ago.

And I just found out that Sheila Clark, former Pres. of illinois N.O.W., friend for 39 years, & Mick's and my bandmate in the Cosmic Sh*ts & Giggles Jug Band, passed in December.

The aches & pains are nothing next to the loss.

(Dayum, I'm cheery this AM, ain't I?)

11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

I hear you and that unfortunately is part of the deal with getting older.

We live in a 7 lot court of small acreages and a couple of years ago my nearest neighbour and good friend Mike died in a motorbike accident. Five weeks ago my back neighbour Bill died and last week a neighbour Tony 2 blocks down died!

I feel it closing in on me........ Grin~

I've also left a littany of long term close mates in my wake and the thing that comes out of that to me is how grateful I am to be sitting here typing this.

12. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Member

Here in California medical cannabis is legal, it works like magic on pain. It's too bad most of the world doesn't allow it.

13. CheshireFrog

CheshireFrog Well-Known Member

Support for it is starting to grow in other states now.

See what I did there?

Technically Ohio passed medical marijuana under house bill 523, but there are no dispensaries and they haven't licensed any grow operations yet, so it's kind of pointless right now.

I moved here from Colorado three years ago, so I know how successful this can be if the state is serious about doing this. The funny thing is, Colorado had just passed the legalization of recreational marijuana not long before I moved here, and the prevailing wisdom here was that everyone in Colorado would be heroin addicts within three years. Now that that hasn't turned out to be the case, on the contrary revenues from marijuana sales have provided much needed relief to the state tax coffers and tourism is at an all time high (there I go again) other states have taken notice and are investigating their own possibilities.

For those that aren't familiar with the Colorado model, marijuana sales are taxed pretty high. You have to present a driver's license in order to buy recreational marijuana, and if you have an out-of-state license the taxes are DOUBLE. This has worked remarkably well. Also, residents are allowed to grow their own, provided they don't have more than six plants flowering at any one time.

Still, attitudes haven't changed much here in southwest Ohio. Most residents here are convinced that EVERYONE, without exception, who ever took a puff of the concentrated sin that is marijuana eventually ended up a junkie and died with a needle in their arm. It would seem that the way they avoid the temptation to smoke weed is to drink heavily, drive their cars into immovable objects and shoot each other with some regularity.

:frown:

Raiyn likes this.