Got another offset on the way,....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Mike Petras, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

WELL, my nephew from Calgary is coming for a visit and he remembered a conversation we had about unfinished guitar bodies concerning a company called Tonebomb. He actaually got in touch with them and, as the product was well within his budget, he went out and ordered a Mustang body in alder for me. And he remembered that I have a weak spot for hardtails. So I have one of these on the way: s-l1600 (67)Tonebomb Mustang.jpg This should prove to be interesting,....

2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Nice body !

Excuse my ignorance, but if it's a hardtail body, what are the two big gouges for ? Tone vents ?

Sneaks, BlackSG91 and Davis Sharp like this.
  3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Nice nephew. You'l have fun with that one. But I have the same question about the "tone vents."

Caddy likes this.
  4. Walker

Walker Active Member

That's where the flames shoot out.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  5. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, but he would have to put heavily overwound pickups in there for that.

6. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

This particular photo is a stock photo from Tonebombs web site: I don't have a photo of the actual body yet.

Davis Sharp likes this.
  7. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

One thing that does interest me is the decal in the pocket that says "unsanded": that's a rather clean finish for an unsanded body I think,..

8. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

Almost forgot to mention, the one on its way to me is made of alder. I wonder what it will sound like with a pair of P90s?

9. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Like a P90 R&R machine.

BlackSG91 and LSAR like this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

How bout one P90?:naughty:

Mike Petras likes this.
  11. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

I`ve actually thought about a single P90 in a Mustang body as a sort of analog to a Jr, that's why I purchased a set of body templates for a Mustang,...Any thoughts about That one?

12. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

When people mix P90s with other pickups, it usually goes to the neck position. Personnaly, I love a bridge P90.

LashDog and BlackSG91 like this.
  13. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

Hmm, any sugjestions for a single pickup, brandwise?

14. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I have some from Tyson Tone, Wraptails 57's, I love them.

If you want crystal clear P90s, try to get your hands on a set of 9022 from Sanford Magnetics. They come up from time to time on Reverb, but you gotta be quick.

15. Walker

Walker Active Member

If you're on a budget, Guitar Fetish Slick P90's are really good. Balls O' Brass.

16. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

17. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

P-90 pick ups would definitely rock that guitar. They are very popular these days...you get a great classic rock tone from them.

;>)/

18. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm
    after although a little '80s hair thrown in wouldn't too bad,...:D

BlackSG91 likes this.
  19. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Active Member

I own quite a few Bill Lawrence's pickup made between 1977- 1984, mostly L-250's and XL-500's. Those pickups don't change the tone of the guitar, they tend to bring out it's sound from the neck, body and strings.
    From 1977 to 1984, those pickup had an inconsistencies in their winding, some XL-500's were wound between 11.28k ohms to 14.7k ohms , while L-250's were wound between 10k ohms to 13.7 k ohms.
    If you go to EBay, you can make find great used Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, EMG, Bare Knuckle, Bill Lawrence, Schaller and Carvin pickup.
    If on a budget or if you want to find great Single Coil, P90's and Humbuckers comparable to the big brands, Dragon Fire, Guitar Heads, GFS, Tone Rider , Iron Gear or find some local guy / gal to wind some pickups for you.

20. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

Well it arrived in the mail the other day and I have to say that I very pleased with this body. Nice clean edging with no burn marks, regular contours all the way around the body, and the cavities and neck pocket have nice clean edges with no fur. As well, the body was ordered "unsanded" and I was expecting all maner of rough surface but the surface overall is very smooth, as if it had been sanded down. And finally I have to say that TomeBomb took extra time to package it well for shipping, which is very much appreciated. All in all this is a steal for a custom body delivered to my door for $116.00CDN and I know I'll be doing business with ToneBomb in the future if this is how good thier product is. DSC01172.JPG

Sneaks likes this.