Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jay Bones, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Jay Bones

Jay Bones New Member

My name's Jay. I'm 45 and live on a small island in Lake Erie year round (pop ~120). I have a bachelors of arts in sociology with a minor in music from Ohio University (Athens!!!), followed the Grateful Dead for more years than I should have (44 shows, many more lots, and couple years of east coast summer and fall tours, few spring shows sprinkled in).

I am the caretaker for my elderly parents, get disability for a TBI work part time from home online processing business payrolls, clean rentals for a realtor friend I grew up with here in the season.

This coming winter I'm going to be taking classes online from Cleveland State toward my chemical dependency counseling certificate.

Own about 15 guitars, mostly Stratocasters (1 real '76 hardtail natural, the others either partscasters or future projects, including an Epi copy), a couple tele copies, a Jackson copy, Gibson-Epiphone PR7ERS solid TB&S bird's eye maple AE, Yamaha classical (Nippon Gaki), 1970 Yamaha FG 420-12 12 string (soon to be replaced by a more modern Yamaha), 3 basses, a ~1970 Rivoli (MIJ EA 260 with La Bella tapewounds), a jazz partsbass (Guitar Fetish royal pawlonia red burst body, Mighty Mite neck, 3 ply white MIA Fender PG, Fender and misc. hardware, 18V Bartolini system, concentric knobs so I could get the 4 knobs required by the Bartolini system without figuring out where to mount the extra pot, DR Lo Beams), Squier Affinity Baltic blue precision (RW fretboard, 3 ply red tortoise MIA PG, RW thumb rest, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pup, La Bella tapewounds).

Since I live on Lake Erie I love everything about the lake (fish every chance I get, and have caught every species of fish in this end of the lake except sturgeon and steelhead, swim, throw sticks for my various labs over the years, used to have a 1957 Lyman runabout, and used to hunt waterfowl). I'm a member of Kelleys Island Audubon, Kelleys Island historical society (family goes back to 1874 here), and was a member of Cleveland MENSA when I lived there.

Worked in the craft brewing industry for many years. Started home brewing in 1995. Worked in the winery here (started as a bartender and cellar worker, progressed to general manager), then moved to Cleveland where I worked for a small brew on premise (#1 in the country) and then Great Lakes Brewing Company were I bartended, did beer tastings, beer school and gave brewery tours.

Really enjoyed craft beer, and brought my work home with me. Too much. Friend of Bill W. since October 2008.

Some of you may recognize my username from strattalk, TDPRI, talkbass, acousticguitarforum, reranch and talkguitar (when it's up).

NoBucks, Paruwi and Shadow Explorer like this.
  2. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Active Member

Welcome to the forums Jay, Enjoy your stay and I wish your life to continue being interesting! :)

3. NoBucks

NoBucks Well-Known Member

Welcome! Pictures please?

I have a lot of fun memories of a Summer of good times on a small island in Lake Erie years ago.

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to Epi-Talk.
    Your island sounds like a beautiful place to visit.

5. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

Hi Jay,

welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

Lots of friendly and helpful members here,
    please join the conversations and have fun with us.

Don't forget to post pics of your 'toys' :D

6. Jay Bones

Jay Bones New Member

@NoBucks You probably were on South Bass, Put-In-Bay. That's the more well known tourist island.

Was there what a lot of people think is a tall lighthouse? That would be the Perry International Peace Memorial. Erected in 1913 on the 100th anniversary of the complete defeat of the British fleet during the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812. Also recognizes the world's longest un-militarized border.

Don't have complete family pics, but here are a few.

~1994 Gibson-Epiphone PR7ERS, "Birdie". Solid TB&S bird's eye maple, ordered from the factory rep when I taught lessons for a music store.

Same model Ace Frehley played on KISS unplugged (not a KISS fan, and if one of them had to play my guitar I would have wanted Paul Stanley).
    [​IMG]

1976 Fender Stratocaster hardtail natural, "Natalie". According to Dan Erlewine, this is the rarest of the S series guitars. Hand selected bodies with the best grain got natural finishes, first year of the 5 way switch and last year for "the better pickups".
    [​IMG]

Partscaster "Grace". Started life as a Samick strat copy, bought from a pawnshop when I was in college for $40. Replaced the neck with a CBS style headstock, RW neck, BWB Fender PG, Lace Sensor red pups (ordered separately, ended up getting 2 bridge units. Mounted the extra in the neck position with a PP volume pot Gilmour switch to turn it on independent of the 5 way), changed the HW to gold (MIA spec bridge, which I didn't realize was different than import, no problem just filled and drilled). Also put in a Graph Tech Ghost system. Did a custom install, as the way they recommend is to use the PP volume pot to turn the system on and sacrificing a tone pot for the volume. I couldn't do that, since I already had a PP pot for the neck pup and didn't want to give up a tone pot. Routed for an extra volume pot for the Ghost system and a mini 3 way to turn it on. With the mini switch in the middle I can use the separate volumes to blend the signals, although they still go through their own paths and amplification. She's a TONE MACHINE!!

Early stage of the build, when GT sent me the wrong saddles (offset instead of straight. Problem in the warehouse picked the wrong ones, told them they resent the right ones). Also VERY DIRTY.
    [​IMG]

Has first Lace Sensor red pup installed and extra pot and switch still wearing the white Samick furniture.
    [​IMG]

Fender Stratocaster "Blackie" clone partscaster. Started life as a Starcaster (full thickness body). Has 3 ply PG loaded with Hot Gold pups, now with Callahan big block trem. Vintage tint maple cap neck (unbranded Chinese eBay, from Canadian rock maple, has some surprisingly nice figure).
    [​IMG]

~1970 Epiphone Rivoli (EA 260). Bought from my best friend from kindergarten, played it in a couple bands with him for $90 with OHSC. Neck block had been, according to Dan Erlewine, "gouged out with a rusty steak knife. A chunk of what looks like oak hacked with the same rusty steak knife now duller then regular white glue used to fill the huge gaps." Bass was unplayable, couldn't even tune it up the block was so unstable.

Dan squared the edges where the original block had been cut out, cut a proper piece of birch and used Titebond to glue it. Also located the floating bridge with double sided carpet tape so I could change the strings without needing to intonate every time.
    [​IMG]

Jazz partsbass. GFS royal pawlonia red burst body, Mighty Mite neck, Fender and misc. HW, Fender MIA 3 ply PG, black thumb rest, now has 18V Bartolini system with concentric knobs so I could get 4 pots required for the Bartolini system.
    [​IMG]

Squier Affinity Precision bass. Bought for $80 from CL. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pup (used $40), 3 ply red tortoise MIA PG, RW thumb rest, La Bella tapewound strings. Had to buy a budget gigbag (GC bag in a box) for $20. All together I have just above $200 in it, and it sounds looks and plays 2 to 3 times that.

Stringing it after I brought it home.
    [​IMG]

Current amp. Mid 80's Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. Soon to be upgraded to a Classic 20 MH with at least one 112C cabinet. May get 2 so I can have true stereo chorus.
    [​IMG]

Bass amp. Late 80's Peavey TKO150. Bought from same guy who sold me the Rivoli. Had a torn speaker (didn't know at the time, but I fixed it with 3M marine sealant, tiny amount of clear packing tape needle and thread), broken bass and treble knobs, missing plastic Velcro type connections on the grille. Replaced the broken pots and secured the grille with a galvanized woodscrew.
    TKO150.jpg

Acoustic amp. Peavey e-coustic 112. Bought new ~1994 from same store I taught lessons for. Best part of that job was wholesale +10%.
    ecoustic 112.jpg

Yamaha classical. Nothing special, student model, Nippon Gaki. Pawnshop score for $25 OTD. Had been there a while. They'd used water based cleaner on the oiled finish (hazed it and made it sticky with dust) and put steel strings on it (but thankfully not tuned up). Price started at $!50 then dropped steadily to make offer.
    classical.jpg

Work in progress. Hondo II purple burst flame top body. Plans are CBS headstock RW bullet TR neck and whatever single coils sound like Richie Blackmore. Inspired by the guitar on Deep Purple's Greatest Hits. Can't see the burst and figure, probably the angle.
    purple strat.jpg

7. NoBucks

NoBucks Well-Known Member

Believe me, I knew where I was (most of the time). Yes, Put-In-Bay. We did go up to the top of the monument, and we recognized the world's longest bar. That would have been 1990? Did you play any of the bars there back then?

Nice collection of guitars! I just brought home a Squier P-Bass for $85. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Other basses I have are a 5-string jazz bass, a 4-string fretless jazz bass, and a 5-string Peavey Grind.

8. Paully

Paully Active Member

Hello,
    And welcome to €pi-Talk.

9. Jay Bones

Jay Bones New Member

@NoBucks Squier P bass is a great place to start moding. Mine sounded pretty good (ceramic pup not as terrible as I thought it would be, but when I saw the SD QP for $40 figured why not).

And in '90 I had only been strumming an acoustic for less than a year. Never played any bars there, but have sat in a few times with bands here.

World's Longest Bar (at the time) was a little underwhelming. I pictured it being straight or possibly a narrow horseshoe. But they way they made it go back and forth on itself made sections for bartender. Each one would have their own set of taps, bottles, glassware and tip bucket (unless all the tenders pooled tips), but I'm sure a place like that would have a % tip out to the house for support staff (barback, bussers, expeditor, and I heard that place had a guy whose job was to work in the keg room and change kegs when they ran out. Had 5 of each variety for all the taps, and could run on no less than 3. When it was busy they'd be doing nothing but changing kegs. I heard they recruited OSU linemen football players since normal sized people wouldn't have been able to handle the physical demands of that job).

Was also a little disappointed in the sterile atmosphere and lack of ambiance when it first opened. I remember saying it was like being in a school gym. But I wasn't in there often (during the day when it first opened and then when our softball team played them).

Managed to get served there underage. Had a full beard at 17, and worked as a barback that same year (totally illegal but it was OK on the island) so I knew how to act (like I'd been there before and belonged). :cheers:

Also managed to get overserved during the day waiting for our pizza. Promptly recycled it into their toilet, then hanging onto a 55 gallon trashcan in the dinning room. And again on the boat ride back. :rolleyes:

Good times! (don't miss them)

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Active Member

I've got a buddy trying to move a TKO.

11. Jay Bones

Jay Bones New Member

Dude, I hear you!

When I gigged with it I could handle moving it by myself. But there was a venue in Athens, Ohio where the second floor was the gig. Old steep steps (had been built as a hotel sometime in the late 19th century), probably wouldn't pass inspection now but was grandfathered in.

I had casters on the bottom and used to have speaker handles screwed into the side. Easy enough to have me and someone else side by side walking it around, but steps were too narrow.

Best thing was to have someone else at the top with me taking the bulk of the weight (see what I did there?). I figure it's about a pound per watt, and it's a 90 watt amp.

Speaker itself weighs 30-35 pounds plus a pressed board cabinet that weighs another 50 or so.

Those old SS Peaveys are built like tanks. Last forever but weigh a TON.