Howdy from Texas!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by LocoTex, Feb 20, 2020.

1. LocoTex

LocoTex New Member

Stephen 001.JPG Hello everyone! New member here. I have really gotten very interested in Epiphone since the new 2020 models have come out. I'm seriously lusting for a Junior, but I need to get one in hand before I can really consider it.

Hope to be seen here a lot more in the future, and I will likely be putting my mint cond. Les Paul Special I P90s in the classifieds soon.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    SirMilo and Paruwi like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

3. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Hi,

Welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Welcome LocoTex.

If I were you, I would keep the Special a while more. That is a really fun guitar that is hard to compare to anyting else. Its playfulness makes it as fun as no other guitar I know of out there. It doesn't take itself seriously and it will probably be remembered the same as those old beginner Juniors, that sought after nowadays.

A one pickup Jr is a fantastic thing, but it doesn't have the versatility your Special has. I have both. A 2006 Jr is a recent addition, but it doesn't make me forget my Yellow Special, that keeps being played every day still after 7 years owning it.

If I may suggest ...

Your neck pickup seem high on your Special. To get the most tones out of that guitar, the neck P90 has to be close to half the height of the bridge pickup.

Try this, it might have you rediscover that fantastic little gem that is the P90 Special LP.

P90 pups are real sensitive to height. Too low they sound thin, too high they can be ice pick or boomy. Here's how I adjust them and I haven't yet tried a set I didn't like.

I set the bridge pickup (measured at the pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from bottom of strings (1/8" or ±3mm). No closer, or magnets will dampen sustain. If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it. Check it clean AND with overdrive. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky tone, kinda Strat like. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, it is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the three switch positions.

Take your time, it's worth it. Do it a second time to make sure you really found their sweet spot. That's a fun adjustment and it is by far the cheapest modification you can do to a guitar and probably the one that has the most drastic effect on tone.

SirMilo likes this.
  5. SirMilo

SirMilo Member

Welcome to the forum LocoTex and enjoy your stay.
    Good to see another Texan around.