How's Your Weather Today?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

I watched one of house build series on TV (Grand designs) this episode was in Australia and the average size of one room there was the same size foot print of my entire house lol, you guys have lots of space, it's getting crowded on this small island, which incidentally I read yesterday we have over two & a half times more population than the great big lone star state of Texas :shock: crazy.

'Orrible day here:frown: a high of 5C wet cold raining & breezy.

Digger likes this.
  2. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

21C and maybe thunderstorms today. It drizzled last night mostly but there are no significant totals involved.

Driving back from Mallacoota yesterday a distance of 250 kilometres it’s through mostly national parks and state forests and is just wall to wall gum trees all the way!

Quite a few areas, miles of mature gum trees appear to be dying and in absence of other obvious reasons I can only assume it’s because of the drought!

2/3rds of our native flora and fauna call this forests home here in Victoria and so this is a tragedy in the making!

3. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Even having the space doesn’t mean you should cover it all with housing!

The suburbs of Melbourne sprawl for maybe 3 (driving) hours north to south and probably 1 1/2 hours west. That’s just one city!

We only have a modest house of about 18 squares of living though 33 squares under roof. We have mum’s house too which is only 9 or 10 squares though that’s only used for visitors now. We originally planned to have about 25 squares but in the end I had to insist that we built within the limits of what we could pay cash for and in the end that was the right decision.

Mostly our homes here are “bungalows” as you Brits call them, with land there’s no need to build up particularly. So I’m not one of the Mc Mansions set, though my backyard is a goodun!

Whoops Kookaburra photo was for somewhere else but I may as well leave it here!

[​IMG]

This is what I meant to post.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Lancpudn likes this.
  4. Lancpudn

That's a great pic of those Kookaburra's :cool: and a beautiful property.

Shame about the trees struggling in the drought, it must be a crying shame to watch them die off.

Horrible miserable wet day here, a high of 5C today, I think it's fair to say It will be a feet up in front of the fire day for me today. :D

Digger likes this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, though I question the use of mate? Any “real” mate would share his rainfall!

19C thunderstorms and rain between 5 & 10 mm. At the risk of sounding churlish, 500 to 1000 is more like what we need~

6. Lancpudn

LOL I'd gladly share some of this rain we have an over abundance here, It's a dark dank miserable wet grey day again here, A high of 5C today, We had a frost overnight which is melting now. I'm staying indoors today my back is crocked.

7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Well it’s suddenly back to winter here, just a week away from summer???
    Yesterday there were snowfalls up in the ranges behind us!

It’s wet outside (drizzle), windy as hell and just 17C....yes winter temps indeed!

I was going to finish up this round of slashing this morning but can’t now with the grass so wet.

Yesterday we had 3 very wet King Parrots taking refuge under the verandah and this morning there is a Wallaby grazing some very long grass out of the front. Wildlife central here folks!

I’d put up pics but this site now wants me to reduce even my small phone images whereas before it accepted almost anything. I couldn’t be bothered putting them through Imgur first. Backwards step IMO.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've got a photo editor I use to knock them down to between 1000-1024px on the long side. Less than 1mb seems to be the sweet spot.

9. Lancpudn

WoW! wet parrots & soggy wallabies getting the Lancashire treatment. :thumb:
    Doesn't sound like shorts weather down there.

Dark dank & dismal here, a high of 6C today.

10. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

A top of 18C and a high chance of 1 to 5mm of rain today.

I suppose this is better than blistering hot?

No unfortunately I’m back in trackies again and it feels like winter right now.

I really wanted to finish a few things here before surgery on my thumb next Wednesday as I don’t know how long it will be before I can do things like drive machinery again. I certainly won’t be waiting 6 weeks to mow or slash. Needs mowing now but it’s too damp around the place bugger it!

I need to get some good contacts in the weather dept.

11. Lancpudn

Beautiful sunny Autumnal day here with a high of 8C.

12. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Pleased to say that we can better 8C with a 20C expected for today!

It finally looks like that sh!tty drizzle and wind are having a break and I have 2 days to do all the things I expected to do in the last week. I won’t get it all done of course but I must finish the slashing and do a round of mowing.

I'm having that thumb “fusion” on Wednesday and don’t know how long it will stop me from working, though hoping only a few days.

Lancpudn and Raiyn like this.
  13. Lancpudn

A high of 8C and cloudy today and we've still got that north easterly wind which is cold to say the least.
    I've been out to the garage this morning to put the battery maintainer on the Rover & that's all I'm doing outside today.

14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

20C and foggy in places. Returning to rain tomorrow.
    When I say rain, probably had about 30.. or so over 7 days, enough to keep the grass looking green but we need many, many, times more to ease the drought here. I can’t imagine what will happen when it heats up?

15. Lancpudn

Heavy frost first thing this morning and the forecast is for heavy rain and a high of 8C for the rest of today.

16. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

I email pics taken on my old iPhone to myself as 'Mediums', open that email on the same phone, then save those smaller images on that phone for use here. It's a little bit clunky, but it saves messing around with an image site...

& don't start me on how much I like seeing Kookaburras. That's all 50 Flavours of crazy significant to me!...

We are having what has been described as 'an extreme weather day' here in Sydney. Mucho Raino & very strong winds dropping trees all over the place. Yesterday, in anticipation of what was coming, State Emergency Services actually requested that if people could stay home from work they should. Always happy to help a good cause ;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  17. Lancpudn

It's another grey wet dark dank rainy day here but the temps have risen a bit today 13C and feels positively tropical for this time of year. :thumb:

I got some weather news from my mate down there in Queensland yesterday and the drought & bushfires there look really bad and as Digger said your Summer is just starting.

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Image site? Mate! There's apps for that!

19. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Queensland has over 200 bushfires burning presently, with several already declared ‘Catastrophic’.

20. Lancpudn

Jeez! that's bad news indeed. I really feel for the people in those terrible conditions.

Wild strong winds & rain here, I've been listening to the wind howl down the bedroom fireplace all night :frown: still warm here for this time of year with a high of 13C.