Joining the group

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ScottB, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM.

1. ScottB

ScottB New Member

Hi. My name is Scott and I have recently discovered this site. I tapped into the collective expertise last week with a question on an Epiphone Riviera Deluxe and thought I should introduce myself and try to become an active member.

I am a lifelong beginner guitarist. I started when I was 12 y.o. Stopped when I was 14. Started again when I was 17, stopped again when I was 21. And so on it went over the next 35 years. I have moved countries, cities, careers, jobs, wives, houses, gone back to school, requalified in my profession and done whatever else can get in the way of playing guitar. My playing has always been at the bottom of the priorities list and given up whenever other demands came along.

Several years again, after retiring, I decided to get serious about playing. I dusted off my acoustic, took it to a local luthier and had him do a full set up on it and then started from the beginning (again...). I am so sick of redeveloping calluses!

Since that restart I have been taking weekly lessons during each winter when I am in Arizona. I have bought an electric guitar which I am very pleased about and am in the market for another guitar (This is the subject of another thread in the Epiphone guitars section).

My guitars: I only own two guitars but am pretty pleased with both of them. I have a Gibson J40 acoustic. I bought this guitar in Toronto in 1987 during one of my restarts having sold my old guitar when I left Australia. As best as I can figure from the serial number it is a circa 1974 version made in Nashville. The J40 is probably near the bottom of the barrel for Gibson acoustics but it works for me.
    The second guitar is a MIM Fender Strat made in 2009 and purchased by me in 2015. This one also took a trip to my local luthier for a work over.

What am I like as a player? Well, that is not really for me to say but I think my dog summed it up pretty well several days ago when I was practising in my office. She walked over, looked me in the eye for a few seconds and then puked on the carpet. Short, pithy and to the point.

So that is it for me. A perpetual beginner long on enthusiasm, short to the point of dwarfism on talent owing a couple of semi-decent guitars. I look forward to reading and learning from those who know and have done more.
    Once I figure out how to make my photos smaller I will post them.
    Regards, Scott.

NoBucks, Caddy, Davis Sharp and 2 others like this.
  2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

Hi Scott,

welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

Lots of friendly and helpful members here
    Please join the conversations - or ask the community all you want to know
    :thumb:

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  3. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Active Member

Hey Scott, Welcome to the forums!
    The most important thing is to enjoy playing! As long as you do, your skills will improve as well :)

NoBucks likes this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Welcome. I've also let family and work get in the way of guitar playing for long stretches of time. It happens to many.

Shadow Explorer and NoBucks like this.
  5. NoBucks

NoBucks Well-Known Member

I posted in the other thread, but, again, welcome! :)

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Likewise, welcome!

NoBucks and Shadow Explorer like this.