Kemper Profiler and Fractal AxeFx3

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by ChainsawCharlie, Mar 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ChainsawCharlie

ChainsawCharlie Member

Hi
    I have Boss Katana Amp 100w and on the whole I like its features but really struggle with the right tone always seems very Bass almost muddy, in spite of trying with different guitars/pickups, I am never fully satisfied with the tone.

Been hearing alot about Kemper and AxeFx
    I am only a bedroom guitarist and have no intention of performing, so figured Studio monitors would stop me from neighbourhood problems (loud)

What I think I may like is the ability to load very good presets, which will give me the tone I need for the type of music I list below.

Anyone have any experience of either of these 2 models, and possible pro's and cons of each unit?

I understand you basically have any amp at your disposal, and am I right in thinking nearly all pedal effects built in too, such as delay, reverb, compressor. I guess distortion pedal not really needed if you use the right amp profile and settings.

Music I'm into playing through the amp: Dire straights Sultans of Swing etc.. using my Fender Strat
    All Guns n Roses & AC/DC using Epi Les Paul ( of course)
    U2 using Fender Strat. And Blues.

I realise the whole investment maybe around £2000-£3000 let's call this my preparing for retirement spend :-)

Am I being fooled by the Sales Hype or would either of these 2 units help me to fulfill my goals here.
    As always any advice from you knowledgeable guys will be priceless to me and very much appreciated.

Thanks
    CSC:cheers:

2. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

That's a big step! Naturally, do it if you want but I'd try a different modeler first. I never had a big Katana but I've had Fender Mustangs and they sounded damn good and never muddy, and were not very expensive. Also had a Peavey Viper that was really nice sounding.

ChainsawCharlie likes this.
  3. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Strange that you find the Katana having too much bass. My experience with it was at the antipode of yours. I found it wouldn't give me that rich rock or blues tone, It was way better at extremes, either full on distortion or squeaky clean, both extremes I don't really use.

So I started by closing up the back 50% to give a richer oomph. Didn't do it.

Semi open back.jpg

I closed it 100%. Didn't do it.

100% Fermé.JPG

I then put in an extention cab output jack to use my 2X12 cab. Better but no cigar. So I ended up selling it.

EXT 8ohm.jpg

What I heard from local musicians that use a Kemper, is that it's over rated for what it is.

I've had 6 Vox Valvetronix and pretty much like them all. So when I found this Vox AD60VT Blue Series, the first one that came out, the daddy of them all Valvetronix, I jumped on it.

If you have a chance to test a Fender Super Champ, do so, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I think it could check all your musical taste boxes.

Sorry I can't be of more help with the Kemper or AxeFx thing

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  4. ChainsawCharlie

ChainsawCharlie Member

Thanks for your feedback guys interesting to hear your thoughts. Good looks like you have the Katana your best shot.

Will certainly look into the Champ

Thanks very much

5. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention my current and favorite modeler, the Blackstar ID Core 10. This thing sounds killer and comes in many sizes, mine is the little one and probably the most used amp in the house. Stereo amp with 5 watts per side.