NAD - eventually...

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Steven Howes, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

I just put in my order with sweetwater for a Bugera T5. They're back ordered until march so I have to wait a bit. This is fine because I don't have a cabinet yet. The 212 was going to be about 200 bucks, a little more than double the cab price IIRC. I understand that the thing weighs 50 lbs, that ain't a postcard to send.

So now I'm on the hunt for a cabinet. For a 5W what are your recommendations? 1x12? 2x12? would a 4x12 work? Here in Winnipeg the best deals are for 4x12s. A 4x12 for a bedroom amp seems a little ridiculous. I could take half the speakers out and resell them, etc.

I could ask about best speakers but that a little to complicated for right now. I'm just trying to figure out what would work for best for the amp. No gigging, purely at home play, maybe some jamming with other people (no drummers).

John likes this.
  2. Jeffytune

Jeffytune Well-Known Member

Your right, a 412 is overkill, and there a b****h to move around.
    BUT, it can drive it just fine, and you can open it up and wire it up to use 1 or 2 of the speakers.
    Or, you can keep it low, it's only a 5 watt.
    I have the Blackstar HT2 into a 212 cab, it's easy to get a good tone at a reasonable volume.

IGRocker and John like this.
  3. Steven Howes

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. To paraphrase the wise Dr Malcomn said : "I was so preoccupied with whether I could, I didn't stop to think if !should."

I just got back from the music store and they had an EVH 1x12 with a 30W Celestion G12H Anniversary speaker in it for a nice price. What I play leans toward heavier music (sabbath, etc) but I also like bluesy cleans as well. what I really need to do is freakin wait and try things with the amp.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Steven I have the Bugera G20 and I absolutely love it, so I'm am sure you will love the T5. I would research the Bugera 112TS cab. It is a 80 watt cab and if you only use it at home you just may like it a lot. I have two 112TS cabs and it will piss the neighbors off. It accepts my pedals really well and I don't have any complaints. I bought a little night stand to put the amp head on top and the speakers on each side of that because I live in a farming community and the county shops are only a couple blocks away so we get a ton of traffic down the road. "DUST FROM HELL". I set them up this way so I could use amp and speaker covers and don't have to move anything to take the covers off. Their not the most heavy duty amps in the world but for home use only there are a great choice in my opinion....

5. Steven Howes

I was looking at my first post and i missed a few words. Bugera isn't available here so I'd have to get it shipped in and the sweetwarer shipping was going to be 200$ plus the cab price. Looking around and the cab prices here, that combined price would still be in the ballpark of average (non 70/80 speaker) cabs. I'm gonna shoot for a 2x12 if I can find a nice one but i'm also might hold off until the amp arrives. This also gives my credit card a chance to cool off.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

LOL yeah good idea. I'm almost like you, the Guitar Center in Boise Idaho is 80 miles from me and then they don't have a great selection of choices so I have to rely on forums and youtube videos. I am more than pleased I chose Bugera though. My little Roland Micro Cube I keep under my end table next to my chair I play the most actually. Very cool little amp...

7. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

A 4x12 would be overkill, but it would sound killer with the 5 watts cranked in my opinion. Personally I’d find a solid 1x12, especially if you can snag one that you can use as half of a mini full stack later on.

John likes this.
  8. John

John Well-Known Member

I agree with IG it would be a overkill if you are only using it for home use.