New amp day !

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by BGood, Apr 2, 2019.

1. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

The amp has been delivered by bus from 650km away. It arrived to destination well packed by a good friend who fetched it for me.

I've had a Boss Katana 100 1X12 for exactly a year now and couldn't find my tone with it. I put in an external speaker out to use my 2X12 cab with it, and still can't get no satisfaction, 'cause I try and I try and I try and I try.

But this baby ! A hard to find 2001 Vox Valvetronix AD60VT, almost mint. Right off the spot, I can dial tones that please my ear. It's rich, gutsy, mellow, articulate, full and it looks the part 100%. I only played it for half an hour yet, bypassing all presets and I like it ... a lot.

It is WYSIWYG, no fussy program to download and deal with. Everything is out on the open. And all I need is there.

AD60VT Top panel.jpg

AD60VT top controls.jpg

AD60VT Rear panel.jpg

AD60VT back controls.jpg
    This one and the AD120VT were the first of the Valvetronics series and I read that they were targeting professional musicians. Following versions were toned down for mass marketing.

VOX AD60VT.jpg
    Boss Katana 100 is for sale :)

2. LSAR

LSAR Well-Known Member

I remember liking my Valvetronix and regretted selling it...a 40W one with a 10" speaker and metal grille if I recall. The layout is definitely pretty straightforward, and really easy to dial in quickly. This one looks like it has a LOT more going on though, feature wise. I may have to check one out down the road.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, congrats!

BGood likes this.
  3. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

Congrats on the new (to you) Valvetronix
    :thumb::applause::thumb:

the real tube inside might be the reason

BGood likes this.
  4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    The 10" speaker metal grille you're talking about is a AD30VT. I've had two of those, two AD50VT and a VT40+ and loved them all except for the newer VT40+. The Valvetronix line gets less and less interesting with every new version. Get the old ones.

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Sweet amp for sure. Looking at the back, does the footswitch connect with an Ethernet cable?

6. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

I believe that jack is for the VC-4 foot controller, same as the ToneLab desk top unit and uses those cables. The VC-4 is getting very hard to find. Enjoy the amp though, Valvetronix stuff can be a lot of fun. If you really want to open it up, replace the stock 12AX7 with a 5751. the difference is noticeable.

Paruwi likes this.
  7. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what it is.
    It's great as it is. If I ever loose interest, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Paruwi likes this.
  8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Valvetronix.jpg

9. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

VOX makes great amplifiers. I love my VOX PathFinder 35 W.:)

;>)/

BGood likes this.