New Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' Lineup

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Supersonic, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. reelaroundthefountain

reelaroundthefountain Member

jamdogg and Norton like this.
  2. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Those new Epis are flying off the shelf @ the Music Mill, which is local to me. They sold all the SGs I wanted to try - the Custom, the Modern Figured AND the P90 sparkling burgundy. They also nearly instantly sold a killer LP Black Beauty, a LP Junior and TV Yellow Special. I'm beginning to wonder if the employees are scooping these LOL. I guess you cant sleep on them. If you find one you like, grab it while you can. Would not be surprised if the prices go up, kinda like what fender did a while back with the CV series.

edit: smokehouse burst studio LP - gone. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    driver8 likes this.
  3. martj

martj New Member

Hello to Everyone!
    Does anybody have experience with the 2020 LP Studio? It looks amazing (I'm thinkin of buying the wine red one), but I don't seem to find a decent review.
    On the Thomann website one customer writes that it also has a coil-split function, which is not metioned in the specifications. Is this true?

4. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

Hard to tell, not many were sold by now I guess

450€ for an Epi LP studio is just crazy - IMO
    they were 300-350€ a few months ago

and
    Welcome here @ €piTalk

5. martj

martj New Member

Thank you very much!
    Yes, I am wondering what this price difference is all about.

6. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker

headstock-shape for the tonez

Raiyn and Davis Sharp like this.
  7. driver8

driver8 New Member

Just watched a few YouTube videos and I have no doubt that one of those TV Yellow LP Specials is in my near future. They sounded amazing on every demo I saw. I'm not a fan of huge chunky necks, but to get that sound I'll deal with it. :-D

BGood likes this.
  8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

I have very satisfying P90 guitars, but that huge chunky neck is what attracts me, funny eh ?

driver8 likes this.
  9. driver8

driver8 New Member

What p90 guits do you have? Any epis?

I'm wondering what the necks on the new p90 SGs are like, haven't had time to research them yet. One of those might be a good alternative, they also look awesome :dude:

10. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Epiphone SG's all have a slim taper neck. Some might be more or less thick.

Those are my P90

PRS SE Soapbar 1
    3-.jpg

2006 Epiphone LP Jr '57 RE
    Sépia.jpg

2012 Epiphone LP Special 1 TV Yellow
    180417++.jpg

2012 Epiphone LP Special 1 (used to be red)
    19-01-10 Casa kit-.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Davis Sharp and Paruwi like this.
  11. Stevo58

Stevo58 New Member

Wow ... they hit that one. Great lineup. I don’t play much electric anymore, but a couple of SGs - Special and ‘61 Standard, an LP Special, and a Firebird would just about hit the spot. New headstock shape is fine with me, but the old didn’t bother me either.

I’m eager to see what they do with the arch tops. The George Thoroughgood is tempting, too.

If they did a good Epi version of the CS ES-350 Chuck Berry, it might be too much to resist.

12. Jannyguitar

Jannyguitar New Member

Hi, can someone tell me how much weights exactly the new LP Classic? Is it weight reliefed or fully solid like 50s and 60s?

13. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

14. richey88

richey88 New Member

I got the red, it was the only one in the shop, I turned the truss rod a 1/4 turn clockwise and it plays really nice. P90's sound great too.
    SG and Kat.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    DigitalDreams likes this.
  15. richey88

richey88 New Member

They call them slim taper, but mine is wider that the ST on my 2019 LP Jr. Tribute. I like it a lot, feels great with the satin finish. Saw it in the wild and snagged it (am somewhat obsessed w/ P90's these days).

16. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

The slim word refers to thickness, not width.

IGRocker likes this.
  17. richey88

richey88 New Member

That’s what I did. Employees were not aware of what they had, but did say “we just sold a purple one w/ P90’s” I assume he was talking about the Burgundy SG special. Up until the virus crap hit, I bet they were flying out as fast as they put ‘em out...

18. JY1978

JY1978 New Member

Hi all,

New here, did some separate introduction in that specific section yesterday.

I have serious GAS for the 50s Les Paul Goldtop. As you can see in the introduction, basically all the Epiphones that I own have a slim taper neck. But all the specs on the 50s Les Paul look so good, that I am considering buying one. The only thing that concerns me though is the neck profile. Therefore a couple of questions, bearing in mind that I would not like to go through the hassle of ordering one and sending it back in case it turns out to be a problem.

What are the experiences from others owning slim taper neck guitars with the 50s guitar? Is it a very big difference or is it quite doable?

Is it likely that the Inspired by Gibson line-up will stay for let’s say at least two years? Given its success, one would think so. As I have imposed quite some strict social distancing limitations to myself, I don’t want to go to a guitar store which has a few currently, even if it is only one hour away.

Another consideration that goes through my mind is that the QC might be less due to the lock-down in China, so it might be better to be patient and wait until things are getting better again from a COVID-19 perspective. On the other hand, a new guitar really helps killing time...

A Classic Honeyburst would also be an option, but I would likely change the pots, pickups and tuners (in my very personal view, a Les Paul should always have vintage Kluson tuners), so that would make the Classic much more expensive.

Happy to hear the thoughts!

19. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

It is perfectly doable, but some just can't. You will not know until you try a fat neck. I personally love them.
    I would think they are here to stay.
    I'd doubt it, but all kind of theories will float out there.
    Why would you do that ? With that line, Epiphone has upgraded almost everything you want to upgrade. I don't get it when someone says he's going to do that before even tryiing out the guitar. Stupid forum influence if you ask me. But if you do so, I'll happily buy your discarded innards.

Paruwi likes this.
  20. JY1978

JY1978 New Member

Thanks for your responses. I am not really a fan of coil splitting (by the way, would also change the knobs with the ones that are on the 50s) and I am not a big fan of the looks of zebra pickup on a Les Paul either, so it is also partly a matter ofcosmetics / personal taste :-)