New pickups.

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Bradley D. Lyons, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Bradley D. Lyons

Bradley D. Lyons Active Member

I recently bought a PRS SE that I have completely fallen in love with, however, the PRS 85/15S pickups were much too hot for my taste.

We have the Porter Pickup Company here in Boise, so I got in touch with them and discussed PAF pickups.

I ended up ordering a set of custom wound Porter Anthem series PAFs made. Under-wound from the normal specs, these have a neck pickup wound to 6.9k and the bridge wound to 7.6k. They installed them for me today and the results are beautiful, both visually and sonically. I have no clue why someone would choose a high output humbucker over PAFs. The variations in sound from melodic sweetness to grinding dirt are too awesome to describe, and I've never heard a high output pickup come anywhere near the PAF's capabilities.

Here is the guitar after the new pups were installed. With the now nickel covered pickups instead of the open face zebras it is a much more grown-up appearing instrument.

PRS with Porters.JPG

If you haven't heard of or considered Porter pickups when you are looking to make changes, give them some consideration. You won't be sorry.

AJ6stringsting and LSAR like this.
  2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Looks good. I prudishly prefer covered humbuckers to naked ones.

3. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Active Member

Love the PRS, they have the perfect string tension, right between Strat and Les Paul.
    I'm definitely going to check out your pickup recommendation for s custom neck pickup !