New project guitar.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Walker, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Walker

Walker Active Member

Just picked up this ancient Cort Panther for $35 as a project. Any Idea what year it might be? There is no serial# on it anywhere. Anyway. This was modded why in the past. The wiring was inoperative. It had hairy dust on it and it is all banged up. Don't know what I going to do with it. Here are photos, because, if there aren't any photos, it didn't happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has Aria Pro II tuners on it.

[​IMG]

I have rewired it with the existing pots plus one and a 5way switch I had hanging around. Cleaned up the body and neck. The rosewood looks pretty good and the frets are level, but need polishing. Need to clean up the bridge and tuners before I can put strings on it and see how it sounds. Then I have to decide how much more I actually want to do to it as far as new parts and possible a paint job. Shure would look good pearl white, Just sayin'. New pickguard, jack socket and pickup covers (or pickups).

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Hard to beat 35 bucks for a project, good luck with it.

3. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

looks like it sat in a wood shop for 20 years lol
    should be a sweet shredder project !

no clue on the vintage.

@Paruwi may have some info...

4. Walker

Walker Active Member

The neck is not your normal shredder profile. It actually has a little heft to it. It also has a micro-tilt.

5. King B

King B Member

Wow that's really grimey! It looks like fun to me. For $35 I think I would take all the parts off, and the neck, and kick it up and down the street for 10 or 15 minutes. Both sides. Gives it a nice worn look. Also a 91% alcohol bath to disable any fungi. What is the body made of?

6. Walker

Walker Active Member

It's plywood. It is also already reliced. And heavy. Actually I miss spoke, It wasn't $35, It was $30.

7. Walker

Walker Active Member

I emailed Cort. They were no help in dating this model. Just calling it a vintage guitar.

8. Walker

Walker Active Member

Found this ad from 1986:

[​IMG]

Davis Sharp likes this.
  9. elephantrider

elephantrider Well-Known Member

POWERsound pickups...

nice find on that pic !

10. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes. Appealing to the hair metal players of 1986. Other colors include Zubaz.

11. Walker

Walker Active Member

This guitar was actually a bright white originally. Shows under the pickguard and trem. it has turned a cream color. Unfortunately, it's chipped and dinged all along the perimeter. The rest cleaned up nicely and shined up nicely without buffing. MaybeI Ishould put aged hardware and pickups on it. I'd like to paint it pearl white and put brushed nickel on it. Don't know if it's worth the cost on this guitar.

12. Walker

Walker Active Member

It has weird pickups in it. Three magnet humbuckers and the single has two magnets standing on their edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

Every picture that I've seen of a Panther, shows them with a SSH pickup setup. Yours seems set up more like an Ibanez GIO with HSH, so I'd say somebody may have been trying to make one from a Cort. Powersounds (along with Mighty Mites) were originally made for Ibanez and used either ALnico 5 or ferrite magnets, its hard to say what you have. You could use this chart and check yours for resistance matches, obviously the single coil is a PS 5. I read somewhere that the PS 1 and 2s (and MM Motherbuckers) worked a lot better with 1 meg pots, due to the high wind resistance. Cool project with a low starting price.

Powersound 1

Model no.:

PSND1

Construction:

Humbucker

Position:

Neck

Magnet:

Ceramic

DC resistance:

Description:

High output in the neck position with no "muddiness"

Also known as the Standard H1 (or STD-H1). A similar covered version is known as the Standard C1 (or STD-C1).

Powersound 2

Model no.:

PSND2

Construction:

Humbucker

Position:

Bridge

Magnet:

Ceramic

DC resistance:

Description:

High output with enhanced harmonics

Also known as the Standard H2 (or STD-H2). A similar covered version is known as the Standard C2 (or STD-C2).

Powersound 3

Model no.:

PSND3

Construction:

Humbucker

Position:

Neck

Magnet:

ceramic

Description:

Covered black neck humbucker

Powersound 4

Model no.:

PSND4

Construction:

Humbucker

Position:

Bridge

Description:

Covered black bridge humbucker

Powersound 5

Powersound Single

Model no.:

PSNDS

Construction:

Single coil

Position:

Mid/Neck

Magnet:

Alnico 5

DC resistance:

Description:

High output with complete clarity

14. Walker

Walker Active Member

Cleaned up and wired. I think I'll replace the bridge and jack plate before I string it . They are pretty nasty. I painted them with chrome paint to make them look aged, but, they just look nasty. This is just a test assembly to see how it sounds. Then I'll take it apart again and do some permanent work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Walker

Walker Active Member

As I said in the OP, It was butchered a long time ago. I should have taken a photo of the pickguard when I stripped everything off it. It was awful! I'll build a new one later. This one was originally a S/S/S setup.

Tweed26 likes this.
  16. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

You know, the change between the before and after pictures is remarkable. u could end up with a fun player, with just a little sweat equity and a few spare parts. Enjoy.

17. Walker

Walker Active Member

I've decided to paint the guitar with Duplicolor pearl white spray cans. It's. stripped and in primer. The back I stripped to wood, bad mistake. Looks like old pallet wood. Filled it with bondo. I realized after stripping the back it had a coat of filler, which I left on the rest of the guitar. I sprayed test patch of the paint to test for any incompatibility. No lifting, so All is good. I'm putting too much money into this project, considering I never planned to keep it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Walker

Walker Active Member

The top color is the miscoloration on the original bright white (the next color) and the bottom color is the filler coat.
    [​IMG]
    This is the test spray coat. You can just see the pearl on the right edge of the photo. Could this have been originally painted in Lacquer? No lift at all.

[​IMG]