Next....Replace nut.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by King B, Dec 27, 2018.

1. King B

King B Active Member

I picked up an LP2 a year or so back that had a non-factory nut on it. Black in color and handsomely set. The strings rode over it quite proudly. I haven't had a "bad" nut yet but the strings do stick sometimes in a plastic nut. I went with a bone nut once and wasn't pleased with the cost or craftsmanship.
    I've heard about pre cut replacements that are sized to specific guitars. Supposedly they drop right in.
    What has been your experience with this task? Does anyone have a proven part number? With my electronics upgrade finished, I still have a little cash left and I could give my Studio a bow tie! 20181227_113131~3.jpg

Shadow Explorer likes this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with TUSQ XL. The slots are pre-spaced, but there's no such thing as a "drop in" you WILL need to size it. Usually this is just height related, and knocking off the sides to blend to the fingerboard.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  3. King B

King B Active Member

Thanks for your input Raiyn. I found the website for those Tusq XL nuts (#1873) and I believe that is what I had in that LP2. Someone did a lot of work to make it set so well. However my nut is fine. Is it worth swapping it out for athstetic purposes alone? Is there that much "sonic gain?" with a better nut?

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Some may have input contradicting what I'm about to tell you, but I don't regret swapping out the plastic nut.

Dropping the plastic sounds like sort of a dull clink while the TUSQ has a more glass like quality. That has no impact on fretted notes, but it feels better to me. I also notice that bends feel nicer and the return to pitch is improved as is tuning stability. Combined with the roller bridge that came a bit later and I love how The Lady feels.

Caddy likes this.
  5. Caddy

Caddy Well-Known Member

Same as above.

King B and Raiyn like this.
  6. Mike Petras

Mike Petras Member

Times 2 for TUSQ XL.

7. sliberty

sliberty Active Member

I agree that a TUSQ XL nut would be an improvement over the plastic nut, but don't expect that you will find it dramatic - probably more on the subtle side. But there is another reason to go with Tusq - they bind less frequently due to the "inherent lubrication" of the material. All around, probably worthwhile, especially if you are inclined and able to do it yourself.

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Another +1 for the TUSQ XL. I play a lot of open chords and it definitely makes a difference when the open strings are played. I've got a pre-slotted flat bottom Fender style one still in the package waiting to go on my Squier VM Tele Custom whenever I finally get around to putting on a new bridge.

9. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

As mentionned, apart from open strings, no tonal improvment. But tuning stabilty might improve, if you don't have the good habit of locking your strings on the tuner post.

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well that's incorrect. Nut binding has zip to do with how you setup your tuners.

The tuning stability advantage of locking tuners comes from eliminating the wraps on the tuning pegs. This is more of an issue with a trem system than with bends.

11. gil

gil Member

ProLine guitar parts. Model PL833 graphite slotted nut. Sells at GC and Sam Ash for 5.99 and has a perfect fit on my cheap Les Paul and L.P. Junior. Very minor sanding if any and I couldn't be happier with it.

BGood and King B like this.
  12. King B

King B Active Member

Thanks gil. Do you have a picture of the finished mod? I haven't done it to mine yet but it's soon to be string change time. PLEASE?! Just 2 different angle shots? I'd like to try the Proline because I support my local Guitar Center. Thanks!

13. gil

gil Member

I wont be able to post a pic till I get home in a day or two. There is really not a lot to see, its pretty much a duplicate of the existing nut and its made from graphite so its a flat black. What I did was to remove the original nut and took it with me to GC and found the perfect match which is the model I posted before. After lightly touching it up with sand paper it dropped in nice and snug and strings just slide on the graphite without binding.

14. gil

gil Member

Here are a couple of pics I said I would post. You can round off some of those corners but everything just fits and feels so right, I don't want to mess with it.
    Check out the first fret action, is super low without any buzzing. At first i thought my tuners were ******up and thought I'd try the nut first. No more sticking binding strings.
    Hey man, $5.99, cant go wrong here. I even bought a couple of graphite nuts for my Strat and Tele.

nut1.jpg nut.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    King B and DigitalDreams like this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I don't mean to bash the product, but that's rather square looking ain't it?
    20181011_165059.jpg
    Doesn't really make much difference, I'm sure they both work fine, but aesthetically I prefer the TUSQ.

King B likes this.
  16. King B

King B Active Member

Thanks to gil and Raiyn for those pictures. I see that what I had was neither of those. Mine was square like the graphite example but made with a "greasy" composite material. Also, mine didn't say BLACKTUSQ on it. Personally I like the graphite look over the TUSQ. I will travel to the Center of Guitars tomorrow and buy 2 of the Proline nuts so that I have a practice piece.

17. gil

gil Member

It is square looking but the angle is just right and again, the "square" corners can easily be rounded off. Personally I didnt care about its aesthetic appearance and focused on functionality and speaking of appearance, what happened to those slots on the tusk nut?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 12:26 AM
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

My initial fitting left the 1st fret action rather high (first time installing one), so @Dave J deepened them a bit for me, using his StewMac files. It looks like the sides got relieved a bit too, but most of that is angle and flash: they don't move side to side in the nut where it breaks over and it's smooth - it just doesn't look it with a flash. I did have him ease the D and G a bit to compensate for the 3+3.
    20181011_165116.jpg

19. gil

gil Member

Ahh, ok. It almost looked like the slots were filed way too wide, as long as they don't move from side to side. I found after installing a few nuts, I've been lucky with the pre slotted, yes you'll always need to bring down the action but I rather take off from the bottom of the nut a little at a time till I get the desired height/action. Removing from the slots is always touchy, it's easy to remove too much and then it's too late. But it's not rocket science, just takes patience.

King B likes this.
  20. King B

King B Active Member

Well it's late Saturday night and I've got these 2 nuts sitting here. I think I'll wait for a little rack time before I get started. They appear to be identical to each other but not the Epi. I'm curious about how different the heighth will be as these are some gibson type nuts. Korean gibson nuts. 20190316_223756~2.jpg 20190316_225207~2.jpg