NGD, 12 string content inside

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Jay Bones, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Active Member

My small business I started this summer was successful enough that I was able to bank enough for dental surgery I need (extraction of first molar, bone graft, sinus lift, implant, post and permanently placing porcelain tooth, about $6000 total, insurance paid nothing). There was a little left and I was able to upgrade my '70 Yamaha FG 420 12 string.

Got a new FG 820 12 string. Solid spruce top, hog back & sides, scalloped bracing. Much lighter than the 420. and MUCH better sound!

Action is perfect, not that the old one was bad.

IMG_0039.jpg IMG_0040.jpg

Stuart, wildeman, John and 3 others like this.
  2. Tweed26

Tweed26 Well-Known Member

Nice. I had a Yammy 720-12 (and the sister 6 string model), for years. Great guitars, good bang-for-the-buck acoustics. Ended up selling both, and three other guitars, to buy my Ric 12.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new guitar and dental work :)

4. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Active Member

Thanks!

Dental work only started- extraction and bone graft. I go back in Feb for X-rays and if everything looks good then I can schedule implant.

And I'd love an electric 12. Thinking of one of those Cozart strats or teles from the 'bay.

Also have gas for an LR Baggs Anthem system so I can plug this in, possibly incorporating it into my solo acoustic show (already play 2 songs meant for a 12- Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald and Free Falling).

Watched an installation vid on YT, and it looks pretty straight forward and doable DIY. Looks like the hardest part would be installing the endpin jack.

That tool is $80, which is pretty high for a one time use tool.

Looking for one to borrow, or could pay a luthier to install that part.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Easy peasy.

6. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

I drill out for endpin jacks with my twist drillbits but i run them i reverse, if you don't they will grab and BAD things will happen. I have a very nice drill index that allows me to go up in size very slowly though, i probably use 10 bits to make that hole.

7. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

HN12D Jay Bones...

& I’m going through a run of very similar dental work (concluding in March) at a very similar price...

But I’m pretty sure that I won’t score a new geet out of it :frown:

PS: What’s your small business?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 4:28 AM
  8. Brian16sg

Brian16sg Member

9. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Active Member

@Stuart Nothing real special, just providing cleaning services for rentals up here during the season.

Laundry (linens and towels for additional fees, independent of cleaning services). There are about 30+ rentals here that are managed by a realtor friend of mine (we were teens at the same time), and none of them provide towels & linens.

My parents winter in Florida, and my mother went to estate sales buying bedding and towels cheap, so there are plenty to go around.

Summer seasonal rentals are usually weekly so there's turnover weekends mostly. Then the rest of the week to get everything washed and folded.

I get dissability for a TBI 10 years ago which pays my living expenses so this extra lets me do (or pay for) things like this.

Stuart likes this.
  10. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Yes it is... & I applaud your entreprenueurship... I’m currently trying to ‘reinvent’ myself somewhat, & love hearing of successes like yours JB:applause: