[NGD] Epiphone Les Paul Special II

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by rawdatalab, May 17, 2020.

1. rawdatalab

rawdatalab New Member

Just picked this up for a cool $80; the ad listed it as in need of repair, with no output. The ground wire was broken off of the jack. I replaced the whole wire with pushback, and she's good to go. Swapped the righty knobs as well. Going to replace the strings and oil the fretboard (I think that's actually rosewood!). The A string buzzes; that plastic nut will have to be replaced when the world resumes turning.

unnamed2.jpg

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I didn't know that knobs came in righty and lefty.

3. Maguchi

Maguchi New Member

I also like the simpler 2 control knobs instead of the 4 control knobs, more convenient for live playing. Why wait until the world resumes turning. In SoCal there are several luthiers that are working. I have had 4 or 5 different guitars worked on during the shutdown.

4. rawdatalab

rawdatalab New Member

I'm in NYC; about as far from SoCal as possible and still be in the US. I did notice the neck was pretty much arrow straight. A little truss rod adjustment, and the buzz is gone! I've since adjusted the intonation and swapped in some Epi Alnico Classic Pros left over from my SG 400 Pro SD upgrade. I may never solo on top of a grand piano with it, but she's a player, for sure. Debating a roller bridge just for a little extra tuning stability.

5. rawdatalab

rawdatalab New Member

rightleftknobs.jpg
    #rightprivilege

Davis Sharp likes this.
  6. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Tuning stability is 99% due to the nut. Not sure a roller bridge will do something if there's no vibrato involved.
    That hurts my head :rofl:

7. rawdatalab

rawdatalab New Member

This is true; the nut is already ordered. Hence the internal debate. But for less than $20, it's kinda like, "eh, why not?" As my teacher would say, in for a strum, in for a song.

Sorry about your head. ;)

BGood likes this.