NGD this should polarize the community

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Fullmoon 1971, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 Well-Known Member

Hi there guys and girls. So a few years ago I saw this guitar by a brand named Spear, it was comprised of a group of ex cort employees and got some really great reviews in the various magazines. One model that really caught my eye was the SHL-1Q Evil Monkey. I could never make up my mind if I loved or loathed the artwork and around £400 and no local retailers near me I passed on getting one. Jump forward to the last few months and Spear have folded (only 1 store in Germany with stock) and their is a guy on evilbay selling off the last of the UK distrubutors stock at knock down prices, they have a SHL-1 which is the same guitar without the quilt veneer. in the discription is a link to the guys shop where he has a few other Spear models, so I take a look. He has both SHL-1 & the SHL-1Q for sale at the insanely low price of £150 so I decide to take the chance and purchase 1 of each (my son wanted the black SHL-1 and if he didn't like it they offer a 7 day full refund or exchange) My main thought was that at that price I could always hang it on the wall as a conversation piece.
    So after a couple of days they both arrive. What can I say - the pictures don't do the quilt top justice, yes it's just a veneer but fantastically done and the overall condition of both guitars was fantastic. Straight out of the box both guitars were virtually perfect. They feel fantastic and sound beautiful (I never really liked the JB but running this guitar through my fender Hotrod III She sounds beautiful)

The good points =
    Beautiful Cherry stain on gorgous Quilt Veneer
    Slim 60's mahogany set neck construction
    The finish on mine is flawless
    Perfectly level frets - with a action 1mm treble side, 1.25mm bass side @12th Fret
    perfect intonation @ 12th fret
    Locking style Machineheads
    Seymour Duncan SH-4 "JB" Humbucker

The minor points =
    Minor truss rod tweak
    Fingerboard a little dry
    I will change the capacitor out for a better one, the rest of the wiring though a little messy works perfectly.

The bad points =
    On mine nothing.

The quality of both guitars is fantastic (I have to be honest and say my sons was perfect out of the box and has a nicer fretboard).

The guitar are quite different in weight though =
    Mine 8lb 2oz
    Peters 10lb 2oz

SPEAR SHL-1Q "Evil Monkey"
    [​IMG]

Full Specs =
    40mm Mahogany Body
    15mm Quilted Veneer Maple Cap
    Spear Metal / Soul Stone Abalone Headstock Inlay
    Mahogany Set Neck
    Rosewood Fretboard with Pearloid Dots
    43.6mm Nut
    22 Medium Frets
    24 3/4” Scale Length
    10” Neck Radius
    Seymour Duncan SH-4 “JB” Bridge Humbucker
    Gold Locking Machineheads
    Gold Tune o Matic Bridge
    1 Volume, 1 Tone
    Wine Red

Will post a picture of peters black non quilt top version when I can pry it from his hands.

ikeus, Dave J, BlackSG91 and 3 others like this.
  2. CheshireFrog

CheshireFrog Member

I like it. I probably wouldn't buy one, but it is beautiful. I think I'd look ridiculous playing it, but I know people who could rock it.

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

The quilt is well done, the color is attractive.

4. grayn

grayn New Member

Great buy there.

Looks really nice, although I could do without the gold monkey bit.

Congrats on a huge bargain.

Caddy likes this.
  5. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

Yes, please :lol:

CheshireFrog likes this.
  6. Fullmoon 1971

@Paruwi, here you go Pete, Not managed to get it out my sons hands long enough to get a picture but I did remember that I had a magazine review that showed off the black one.

[​IMG]

I picked mine up from Tonehut.co.uk If your interested it would be £187 delivered which is about 215 Euros.

Plus a review of the Quilt Top version From Total Guitar Magazine.

Spear SHL-1Q Evil Monkey £379
    Spear has been trading since 2005, so it’s tempting to cast it as a plucky young contender. But is the Evil Monkey just aping the old classics?

The Evil Monkey is a compelling fusion of vintage and modern, with the mahogany body and quilted maple top tipping a hat to tradition, but the graphic and standalone Seymour Duncan JB humbucker making us want to thrash it in a punk garage band.

The absence of a neck item has shaved pounds off the price (Spear reckons most rock players sit on the bridge anyway), but we were concerned it might cost us sonic versatility.

Bulletproof and finished with attention to detail, it doesn’t feel like a £379 electric. That said, if you play a lot of rhythm and want to flesh out your band’s sound, the lack of neck ’bucker means you’ll need an amp with good bass response to counteract it. So it’s a good thing the Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge is a cracker, turning in a ferocious bite that combines with the endless sustain for an amazing lead tone.

Verdict
    If you want a traditional singlecut feel, you’ll love the Monkey’s monstrous weight, satisfying neck and slab-like dimensions. It’s not an obvious choice for noodling, but if you’re a player in the Slash tradition and want to peel off tasty bends and chunky mid-tempo solos, give it a spin.

4 out of 5

Pros: Value, classic feel, biting tone.
    Cons
    : The lack of a neck ’bucker.

Total Guitar Magazine June 2011 (27 badass electric guitars under £400)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    BlackSG91 and Paruwi like this.
  7. CheshireFrog

CheshireFrog Member

You wanna see the black one. Didn't see that coming.

8. Fullmoon 1971

Hi guys, @Paruwi so I finally managed to get a picture of the two Evil Monkey's together. I'm actually thinking of getting a black one myself now and having the monkey sprayed over to make a 1 pickup LP Custom.
    [​IMG]

BlackSG91, Paruwi and Scootermuppet like this.
  9. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

This is what I would do, too :thumb:

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  10. Dave J

Dave J Member

That quilt on the red one shows thru the gold design.
    That in itself is pretty cool.
    If the quality is as good as they look, it's a can't miss proposition.
    That said, I like em'...

11. ikeus

ikeus New Member

Been reading a bit of input/opinions folks have on different guitars/designs. We all come standard with a boatload of our own likes and dislikes.
    My take is that those are real FANCY Les Paul. The JB's A GREAT pick up. My beef is a matter of choice. I am a recovering boat builder and love wood.. I do enjoy working with the exotic wood but; When in becomes ostentatious in any form I tend to get turned-off by the gaudiness of
    the whole thing I like to use the number discriptions: It's a 10..Good at ten feet or ten miles an hour.... too much bling..Foundations good..Too much make up ruins a pretty face.