Of Global Warming & Wildlife Movement.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

This article is currently in the news here on the ABC website. It’s a thoughtful piece, or at least it causes me to think about whats happening worldwide with wildlife.
    It’s a bit of a read so only tackle it if those things interest you.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-23/crocodiles-in-noosa-climate-change/9634422

With things warming up it seems out Crocs are taking the opportunity to expand their range! They are moving south into areas where they were previously not occupying in numbers.

Hervey Bay in Queensland is the jumping off point to world renown Fraser Island and it seems that Crocs are now occupying the Mary River in numbers whereas before there were vague rumours of them being this far south. Now this is a real game changer as residents and tourists alike will need to modify their behaviour, or place themselves at risk. It’s significant to me because I have 2 daughters and their families living at Hervey Bay.

More sinister is that the stinging jellies are also moving south, some suggest as far as northern NSW. So times are a changing!

Now my interest is what impact will this warming have on the movement of Bull Sharks, will they head further south too?

I did some research about that elsewhere and it seems that there has been movement of Bulls from Florida that ran as far north as North Carolina. (500 miles)

https://weather.com/science/environ...-sharks-breeding-grounds-north-climate-change

I’ve read a number if reports and they are all saying the same thing.

The range of the Bull Sharks here has been as south as Sydney on the east coast and Perth on the west cost and of course in all warmer waters north of those points.

Now my interest is that Bull’s are one of the 3 shark species here that attack humans and can cause death.. Also their ability to live in fresh water estuarine systems places them in locations where people don’t expect them to be. I live on one of the biggest estuarine lakes systems in Australia and to suddenly find them in our rivers could be significant for tourism!

People say that there are no sharks in these systems here but that is rubbish, I know it is because I’ve seen them! Not Bulls thought, they are a completely different kettle of fish...so to speak~

So if they are spreading out in the US then they will be spreading out in Australia too!

Interesting times folks!

vomer, Stuart, Lancpudn and 2 others like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

There are some that will tell you that humans had nothing to do with it, that it's impossible for us to do so... These people either aren't scientists, or have been paid handsomely to ignore the evidence.
    On some level I wonder if an alien civilization would view us as an intelligent lifeform, or as an infestation.

In regards to the alien bit, I think it would be rather arrogant to presume that in the vastness of the cosmos let alone the 100+ billion star systems in our own galaxy that we're alone in the universe.

I'm not saying UFO's are little green men or that the crash in Rosewell was anything other than a weather balloon. Think about it, if you had the tech to travel 4.3+ light years, only to biff out in the middle of the desert.... I don't think so.

Lancpudn likes this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Unless we do something about climate change, we won't be around to use all that rosewood that will grow in Canada.

AJ6stringsting, BGood, Stuart and 4 others like this.
  5. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Yeah but
    Yeah but at least it will be protected!

Davis Sharp likes this.
  6. Lancpudn

Lancpudn Well-Known Member

I came across a cartoon recently that is very apt.

[​IMG]

7. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Sadly true.

Just one thing, the bees are dying!

I read that mankind have just 4 weeks after the last ones die!

Don’t know if that’s true or not but I reckon it would be effective population control!

Lancpudn likes this.
  8. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

I much prefer deep creek / river swimming to the beach, but Bull Sharks are always in the back of my mind when doing so. Nasty Buggers! With coastal canal communities expanding right up the coast it’s really only a matter of time before we see more ‘suburban swimming attacks’.

8E2BAA0F-B889-4590-A75C-EFB3B3A48BC6.jpeg

Digger likes this.
  9. Juke Box

Juke Box Active Member

Global warming is globalism not science.

10. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Please explain?

11. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

Certainly a risk in your part of the world Stu!

Years ago when mum & dad lived on the canals at Surfers, neighbours used to tell me there were no sharks in those systems. My answer was B/S!

Shortly after an old bloke was dragged off his board right out front of his house and died from his injuries. I hated to be right. I situations like that you are much closer to the the predators as canals are shallow and not very wide.

Would you get in a cage with a Lion?

http://www.discovery.com/playlists/top-10-shark-attack-videos

12. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Thousands of scientists, who have published studies on climate change, disagree.

13. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Yes, but they are ‘tag & returning’ Bull Sharks around Ballina, so at least you will know which ‘lion’ gotcha!!!

14. Digger

Digger Well-Known Member

They seem to like hanging around estuary mouths for sure and the few times we’ve been there I was concerned about people swimming and surfing around the mouth of the river there. The small beach to the north of the northern breakwater apparently has been the site of more than one attack. So there’s the Bulls around the estuaries and GWS passing through with the whale migration each year, so take your pick!!

I might have hooked one when I was there on the breakwater fishing not so long ago! Then again it might have ben a Mulloway. Big bugger though~

15. Lancpudn

It's like 'Skull island' down there :D everything wants to sting you or bite a lump outta you. :D

[​IMG]

16. Lancpudn

I love this T-Shirt. :cool:

[​IMG]

17. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

Whad’ya reckon @Digger...
    Kong v/s our garden variety Drop Bears...
    I don’t think @Lancpudn really knows what we’re dealin’ with down here!!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Lancpudn likes this.
  18. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

That’s all well & good... But I still wanna smack Prof. Brian Cox in his uber-smug mush... or perhaps just set a Drop Bear loose on the smarmy b@stard

Lancpudn likes this.
  19. Lancpudn

LOL :rofl:Hey we have the extra privilege of paying an annual Television licence fee of £150.50 / AUS $ 268.34 to pay for his damn clever dicky BBC global jollies. :frown:

Stuart likes this.
  20. Stuart

Stuart Well-Known Member

I mean, I’m sure he believes that he’s got the ‘weight of the world on his shoulders’...

FCAE6DED-145C-42E7-AEFC-CC0403DFDACA.jpeg

... but in what demented universe did we start taking our lead from the keyboard player of a dodgy 80’s pop band... A KEYBOARD PLAYER!!!

A98A05C0-B532-4D43-9EB0-6CE54CB10F78.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Davis Sharp and Lancpudn like this.