Opinions, & maybe a bit of help.

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by DPaulCustom, Mar 31, 2018.

1. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Well-Known Member

As some of may, or may not have noticed, I haven't been around a lot these past months.
    Reason being, I've once again delved into winding my own pickups.
    Spent a lot of time researching, & trying different winds.
    It's one thing to hear your own pups & think they sound good.
    It's something different to get other opinions, so I'm seeking other opinions, from people who have experience.
    Before you listen, I'll warn you that my playing has suffered (not been practicing much) since getting back into winding, & I only have a crude recording setup (Beheringer UM2, into Audacity).
    The 3 samples are all the same, (Over the Hills & Far Away intro) & all settings are unchanged.
    Old #5 is a wind from when I first started, & is installed in an SG Standard.
    og neck is installed in a VM LP studio.
    chaos neck is installed in an off brand lp.
    I'm hoping to get some opinions, & constructive criticism.

If there's anyone here on the forum (US only please, cause I'll be covering the shipping) who
    would care to do some Better demos, PM me.

Thanks for taking the time to check these out.

IGRocker likes this.
  2. IGRocker

IGRocker Well-Known Member

Very nice! I liked the old #5 best. I’d give them a whirl, but my best recording equipment is an IPhone SE since I moved lol. I’m sure a couple people will be willing to give them a whirl!!

DPaulCustom likes this.
  3. DPaulCustom

Thanks @IGRocker, it's been a trial.
    Still in the baby stages at this point, but I'm working at it.

IGRocker likes this.
  4. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Active Member

I liked the 3rd one the best from a pure sonic standpoint. nice and bright and clear. It is a neck pickup so I don't know if Id like a neck that bright. The Old#5 and OG I found very very similar. But for a neck pickup[ Id go #5 as well.

DPaulCustom likes this.
  5. DPaulCustom

The 5, & Og are a similar wind, the chaos is more scatter wound than the other 2.
    They are all a bit bright, & I think they're better suited to an all mahogany type guitar, this stemming from my struggle to find a neck pup for my VM lp studio, which is what started this whole adventure.
    Thanks @Steven Howes for taking the time to listen, & comment, input is invaluable to me at this point.

6. DPaulCustom

Quick test on a new bridge pup

7. DPaulCustom

All right @IGRocker , let me know.
    Quick test of the old #5 with the A3 magnet

IGRocker likes this.
  8. IGRocker

Ooh I like that! A bit more tele-like. I should post up some sound clips if I get the chance to record a little.

DPaulCustom likes this.
  9. DPaulCustom

I picked up the cheap behringer uphoria um2, $30 & the missus bitched at me.
    I'm working on getting a shure sm 57, for a better live sound.:naughty::fingersx:

IGRocker likes this.
  10. IGRocker

I was going to write a full blown review tonight, however my week just became busier. For everyone else, apologies if I missed editing something for clarification, I’m copying and pasting notes I sent back to @DPaulCustom about the Old #5 and Fat 42!

“I really like the Old #5 neck pickup. It has more low end than my current neck pickup, but less mids, and is definitely louder. Roughly the same amount of treble, maybe a touch less.

Clean, it almost out powers my bridge pickup, which is 8.3k and has an A4 magnet. Overdriven to anything more than mild gain, it’s pretty well matched with the bridge.

Noise wise, it buzzes just as bad as my Wizz. It’s just what you get when you have unpotted pickups, so you learn to work with it. It feeds back really nicely as well when you get into the gain

I’ll play around a bit with pickup heights, but overall I really like it. I think it’s suited towards a G’nR sort of vibe.”

~~~~~~~~~~
    After swapping the neck pickup magnet from A5 to A3
    ~~~~~~~~~~

“Alright, I’ve had my time to fiddle for a few days. I noticed that I like both pickups with the treble side above the ring and the bass side under by a hair. I think it’s just due to me liking a more trebly pickup because I like to dial my bass in with the amp.

Neck pickup: with the A3 mag, I have it dialed in just about perfect for my rig. I’m still liking it quite a bit. Not much else to comment on that one!!

Bridge: for me, I’d like a bit more mid range, but I can get it dialed in really close to where I like, and even closer with amp tweaks. I think it might have a bit much bass to it, but again, I think that’s because of me liking more treble to the pickup.

As a whole, I think this set really does well in an ‘80s rock setting. The neck has some amazing clean tones, and the bridge does some nasty sounding Whitesnake. I tend to use the neck with the volume dialed back and the bridge at 10, so this works out perfect for me. With the neck at 10, I can get some really nice clean solo tones with hard pick attack.”

“I broke out my Fender FDR-1 pedal today and gave it a whirl through my AC15c1 and they sound absolutely great with a bit of dirt. Id bet these pickups would sound awesome through a fender tweed style amp or a hot rod Deluxe! It’s amazing how different things can sound, because I didn’t care for this pedal/amp combo with my Wizz usually.”

All in all, I’d say the neck pickup is fairly balanced overall, with the bridge having a mid scoop. Props to dpaulcustom for winding these!!

DPaulCustom likes this.
  11. DPaulCustom

Thanks @IGRocker , I'm glad you were able to get em dialed in to your rig & thanks for taking the time to give em a fair, & honest review. Every bit of feedback I can get is really important at this stage.
    Glad you suggested trying the A3 in the old #5. I tried the A5, & the A2, & both sounded good, but there is a preference thing to be considered. I feel like this wind would do well with just about any of the alnico mags, (with the exception of the A8) depending on the preference of the player, & their guitar/amp.

With the Fat 42 bridge pup, I wanted something that had a nice 'push' without being too in your face on the treble side (icepick in ear), & not over strong on the bass. I chose the A2 to push the mids more, but it might need a bit more, depending on the playing style, & gear used.
    Next, I need to try it in the Epi SG jr, lighter, thinner body. The tester I used was my '10 faded studio, which is basically the same construction as your Epi Custom (all mahogany), & maybe give it a go in my partscaster as well.

I'm gonna start a new thread, kind of a pass it on thing, & see if anyone else wants to give
    them a go, & share a review, like you did, Fair, & Honest.
    I'll reference your review, as a starting point.
    Once again, thank you for taking the time to check em out, & post a review.

Darryl D

Raiyn and IGRocker like this.
  12. DPaulCustom

Hey @IGRocker , whatcha think of this one?

My latest neck pup. 7.7k with an A2 magnet.
    I've managed to tame the bass, while retaining clarity & mids, & keeping the highs slightly 'rounded.

IGRocker likes this.
  13. IGRocker

I like it! Is this one a little lower output?

14. DPaulCustom

Yes, not by a whole lot, but definitely lower.
    Just for giggles, I made a quick vid of my newest pup. It's a 44awg C8 17.4k bridge offering.

IGRocker likes this.
  15. IGRocker

Sounds like a good “chugga” pickup to me! I think there’s s guy here who plays a lot of that, but I can’t remember his username off hand.

DPaulCustom likes this.