Possibly buying my first Epiphone.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by ElectricZombie, Nov 24, 2019.

1. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie New Member

I'm 39 and in the process of trying to learn to play guitar. I tried to learn in high school, but gave up. I'm going to do it this time! ;)

I currently have an American Strat and an American Tele that sound great. I mostly play though headphones via Amplitube to keep the noise down.

I tried a $2,500 Gibson Les Paul Standard at Sam Ash and thought that it sounded nice and played well. I don't really want to spend $2,500 right now, so I was looking around at Epiphones.

I saw that Musicians Friend has these. Sorry, it won't let me post links yet.

Epiphone Les Paul Special I P90 Electric Guitar Worn TV Yellow

Epiphone Les Paul Special II Plus Limited Edition Electric Guitar Transparent Black

Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Special-I Electric Guitar Worn Black

Are these decent for the price? Anyone have one?

The reviews seem good, but I can't find a local store that actually has one in stock to try.

Would it be better to just wait and buy a Epiphone LP Standard?

Paruwi likes this.
  2. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

No - I'd look for a (used) LP-Tribute+

EpiWeb_Tribute800x620.jpg
    and

Welcome here @ €piTalk
    :wave:

Davis Sharp and ElectricZombie like this.
  3. Paruwi

Paruwi Kraut-Rocker Staff Member

nice guitars, as 4th or 7th member of your herd,
    nowhere close to a Tribute+

Epi special u Junior 2.JPG
    z1.Epi LP-Special-I Duo.JPG

4. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

DEFINITIVELY get the P90 Special 1.

I've had one for 4 years now and I still play it every day amongst 5 other more expensive and great guitars. It is ALL fun, all of it. So much so, that I got a second one that is left at the summer place, to be the only one played there for a few months.

180417++.jpg

2019-06-18a.JPG

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I'll go along with Paruwi: Save you dough and get a used Epi Tribute Plus or an "Inspired by '55" model. Nothing against the Specials, they are great bang for the buck, but the qualitative differences are worth a little more money, imo.

6. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie New Member

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

I had no idea that there even was a "Tribute Plus" model. The finishes on the ones that I have checked out online actually seem to look better than the Gibsons.

I may go ahead and pick up the P-90 model just to goof around with until I find a Tribute Plus.

The 335 is pretty sweet too, so I may keep an eye out for one of those as well.

Paruwi likes this.
  7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the Epis are shorter scale (24.75") than the Fenders (25.5"), so they will feel different. Scale is the distance from the nut to the bridge, or the length of the unencumbered string.

The P90 gets lots of enthusiasm for its tones and price. I could not bond with mine, so I sold it. The Tribute+ is more expensive, but I bonded with mine so I kept it. I'm pretty much the opposite of @BGood when it comes to these two LP models.

If you're looking for a semi-hollow, like the 335, you may also consider the Dot, Dot Studio, or the smaller body 339.

You have many choices in spending your money and we are happy to help.

And you need a good amp too, because it's only noise to other people. :D

Paruwi likes this.
  8. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

They are two completely different beasts, you might end up keeping both.
    I also had a Tribute Plus. It is basically a Gibson except for the headstock shape. Real real nice guitar.

Paruwi likes this.
  9. Mike Recinto

Mike Recinto New Member

What kind of music do you play? I was looking at the SG 400 Pro because I have been playing a Strat for years, with the trem bar on the Strat, I wanted a guitar that could drop tune without messing up the setup. The SG 400 has split coil humbuckers and is a lot lighter than the Les Paul type. But for the price, I just ordered the Les Paul Special P-90. I will get the SG 400 Pro later. I needed a starter 'Gibson-like' guitar that I could learn the tone control with P-90's. Plus I have a old school punk rock influence so the P-90's are a good way to get P-90's for under $200.
    I guess consider type of music you will play and if coil split is better for diverse playing. Consider the weight and wood.

I'm sure you will be happy with any choice you make!

10. Mike Recinto

Mike Recinto New Member

I just ordered on of these. I'm glad they get good reviews. Did you have to change out the stock hardware? I heard the tuners aren't the best.

BGood likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You heard correctly, probably fine for old school punk though. :cheers:

Mike Recinto likes this.