Ron Keel Band Strat

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NoBucks, Aug 28, 2017.

1. NoBucks

NoBucks Well-Known Member

I bought this Squier Affinity at a pawnshop last Spring because it was $35. Other than the neck, not much redeeming value. The pickguard had been graffitied with a Sharpie and the ink had sunken into the plastic, so alcohol couldn't take away the Anarchist symbol. Plus, the body was heavily damaged. It looked like someone had gotten p.o.'d at the previous owner and took a screwdriver to the finish. The front was scratched deeply from top to bottom.

I figured I'd sell the neck and make five or ten bucks off of it, as the neck is really nice. Anyway, the neck didn't sell, so I decided to refinish it. As I've mentioned in the past, when I find good deals on guitars I don't need, sometimes I like to fix them up and give them away to friends. So, I started in on this one for a friend who's a fan of '80's hair metal. He doesn't play guitar, but he has a nice rock-memorabilia wall, and had mentioned he might be on the lookout for a $50 strat to hang there too.

So...I happened to be at a Ron Keel Band benefit show yesterday for the Feeding South Dakota Jam Against Hunger...and...I just happened to have that pickguard with me, and I had Ron and the boys all sign it.

When I got home I put some sweat into the sanding effort, and I started the repainting process with the first of a few coats of gloss black.

I'm going to add the RKB logo to the body too, and I figure this should fit into my buddy's rock-wall perfectly.

Here it is so far. Of course, as I told my wife, now I'm thinking I'd kinda like to keep it! :p

I hope Scott appreciates it (I know he will). :D

rkb-strat01.jpg

rkb-strat02.jpg

rkb-strat03.jpg

It's all black and smooth again:
    rkb-strat04.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    BlackSG91, Davis Sharp and Supersonic like this.
  2. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

Good for you! :applause: I just did the same thing and it's a great feeling. It's all worth it when you see the look on their face after they have been handed a new axe free of charge. :thumb:

NoBucks likes this.
  3. NoBucks

Definitely! Good for you! It is a great feeling. I posted my philosophy on that a while back under the title, Give The Gift Of Music...

BlackSG91 and Supersonic like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

Thats cool, sure he's gonna dig it! I found a Squier strat autographed by the Doobie Bros in a pawn and got it for my buddy, hes displaying it in his living room.

NoBucks likes this.
  5. NoBucks

After I painted several coats of gloss black, I shot several coats of silver, then several more coats of gloss black.

rkb-strat05.jpg
    When I applied the gloss black over the silver, I masked off the Ron Keel Band logo. When I took of the mask, I misted the logo again with more gloss black.

rkb-strat06.jpg

Next up is several coats of clear coat, more sanding, and then a couple weeks of letting it cure before I polish it.

rkb-strat07.jpg

BlackSG91 likes this.
  6. NoBucks

Do you have pics of the Doobie Brothers guitar? That's a pretty cool pawn shop find!

7. wildeman

wildeman Well-Known Member

No pix but next time im at my buddy's ill take one.

8. NoBucks

BTW, I'm still working on the Ron Keel Band Strat.

I got a little carried away with the sandpaper, but I think if I do a PeeWee Herman, and say, "I meant to do that...", it will be fine. I was at a local bar in Sioux Falls for Ron's record deal signing party, and Ron and his band thought it looked cool, anyway. Ron signed the headstock too, and held it for a pic for authenticity and for the photo display I'm going to give to my friend with it.

I need to polish it up some more, then reassemble it, and decide if I want to go with quality hardware for the headstock, or, if I just want to get it together and finished. My friend doesn't play guitar, but I'm still leaning toward doing the hardware as though I was going to play it.

If you're going to do it, do it right...right?

I still hope to get one more pic of the guitar with the whole band, and maybe get his lead guitar, Dave Cothern, to play it on stage. We'll see...

Attached Files:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  9. NoBucks

All wired up, just waiting for the locking tuners and the Schaller strap locks.

01.jpg

Also, I need more sand for my sandblaster so I can tag the backing plate.

The Headstock, signed by the Man...

02.jpg

The backing plate, waiting to be sandblasted:

03.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. Supersonic

@NoBucks for some reason I can't see the new pics that you posted on my pc. I can see all of the other ones just not the ones in your last post.

NoBucks likes this.
  11. NoBucks

Hopefully that fixed it?

Here's a couple more.

The backing plate, after blasting it:
    04.jpg

With the straplocks and the new strap. Just need to put the locking tuners on yet.

05.jpg

BlackSG91 and Supersonic like this.
  12. Supersonic

Yep I can see 'em now. :thumb:

It's lookin' good. I really like that strap too.

BlackSG91 and NoBucks like this.
  13. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

A cool story and a cool looking guitar.;)

;>)/

NoBucks likes this.
  14. NoBucks

Well, the Ron Keel Band Strat is officially finished.

The guitar made it onstage this evening at the Porkpalooza in Sioux Falls.

I really have to give Dave Cothern and Ron a huge thank you for taking this project as far as it went, way beyond what I imagined when I started working on this $35 beater Squier Affinity.

All that's left now is to deliver it to my buddy, Scott, to hang on his rock-wall.

Fun fact, when Dave brought it to rehearsal last week, Ron got hold of it and started jamming on it, and, within a few seconds of beating on it, broke the G-string! So, it has official Ron Keel history now, beyond just being played on stage. :)

Lead Guitar player for the Ron Keel Band, Dave Cothern, with Ron to the right:
    rkb-guitar01.jpg rkb-guitar02.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    BlackSG91 likes this.
  15. NoBucks

Guitarist, Dave Cothern, posing with the guitar after the show:
    rkb-guitar03.jpg
    rkb-guitar04.jpg

And, the man himself, Mr. Ron Keel:
    rkb-guitar06.jpg

BlackSG91 likes this.
  16. NoBucks

Well, I finally delivered the guitar to my buddy Scott this morning, along with some 8x10 colored, glossy photographs of the pictures shown above.

No, it wasn't his birthday, but he said it felt like it was... :)
    scott-theneman-rkb-strat.jpg

BlackSG91 likes this.