Sad NGD: My Ammoon Stereo Looper - DOA

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by TimTheViking, May 16, 2019.

1. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Active Member

After seeing the thread here on the Ammoon Stereo Looper, I decided I needed one of these so I got one off eBay for $61 shipped from overseas. (found out you can buy them on Amazon but for $30 more than I paid)
    Well, waited two weeks for mine to come in from China and it was dead as a door nail. :mad::frown:
    Let's see if there's any customer service worth writing home about...

But I will post my experience here.

2. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Member

bummer

3. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... good luck.

4. TimTheViking

OK, stupid question here. From the Ammoon site, it says this about the 9 volt DC power supply required:
    "Please use the DC 9V 140mA power adapter whose polarity is positive pole outside and negative pole inside."
    I had two 9 volt chargers on hand but the outside was ground and the inside hole was 9 volts positive.
    I just ordered a new one (D'Addario) from Amazon and it states that the tip is negative and the sleeve is positive.
    So were the adapters I used reversed from this? I'm a bit unsure but it seems like the "sleeve" is the outside and it doesn't really have a tip but a hole.

Needless to say, I'll feel a bit sheepish if the new power supply fixes the issue. I suppose I could fix up a 9 volt battery to it just to see, but the Amazon order is supposed to be here tomorrow.

I just noticed on the box that the importer is "Fishing King". Hope this wasn't in the same container as a bunch of frozen Tilapia. :shock:

Jay Bones likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yeah, pedals are generally center negative. Boss created the standard ages ago - partly to keep people from just using power supplies from old phones or something, but probably more so to sell their own supplies.

I should mention that my last experience buying a D'Addario / Planet Waves adapter from Amazon wasn't what you'd call positive either.
    I got some UpBright adapter in a manilla envelope with a hand cut taped on label. Mine is the second review. I've had good luck with their Dunlop supplies and the house brand supplies from Monoprice.com.

I also keep a handful of these around
    [​IMG]
    I usually have to flip the polarity (cut the wires, flip them and splice) but that's trivial.

I also keep one of these in my bag when I go to lessons for my pedal tuner.
    [​IMG]
    I rewired it at the switch. Works fine.

6. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Let's say it's a "female tip" ... :shock: But you did write that they say positive pole outside and negative pole inside.

Hope there's some kind of overload protection in the pedal and you didn't just fry it.

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Most likely there's a diode that'll prevent the polarity snafu from causing an issue.

8. TimTheViking

I tried it with the correct polarity DC supply and nothing. In my enthusiasm to use it when I first got it, I didn't check polarity as I assumed that the center hole was positive since it makes sense to shield the hot and have a larger, exposed ground. WRONG! So no matter what or how, it's dead and it's never shown any signs of life... or death.

9. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Is it cute ? Could it make a nice necklace for your girlfriend or something ? Belt buckle ? Door stopper ?

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Active Member

I hope you will figure it out or get it replaced as I am enjoying mine!

11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

I hope you can get it sorted out. Good luck.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Assumptions about what makes sense vs the reality have caused more then their fair share of damage.

Did you get a REAL D'Addario supply or one of the knockoffs?

13. TimTheViking

Looks real. It wasn't in a plain white box but one labeled Di'addrio. It does say Made in China.

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Sounds like they're selling the real ones again.

15. TimTheViking

Update: The eBay seller has contacted me but before he'll take an exchange he wants a video of it not working. So I've been back and forth with him since eBay doesn't allow to post videos on their site when using the messaging system. I certainly hope that this doesn't turn into me having to send this looper back to China before the seller ships one back.

16. Blakk

Blakk Active Member

That's bs. Talk to ebay. They ask for photos sometimes but not videos. If ebay approves the return, they will give you a shipping label to ship it back. I would use the return process through ebay and not try to negotiate with the seller.

littlebadboy and TimTheViking like this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

+1

18. TimTheViking

I'm guessing that maybe the seller does not want the pedal back but before shipping another wants to ensure that it's dead so he doesn't get scammed? I can see wanting a video as how do you show the pedal dead from a photo? With that said, I'm not a big eBay user so I didn't even know that was an option. Thank you for letting me know. I thought you had to work with the seller and if they were giving you a runaround you could get eBay involved in a dispute. BTW - I had a message this morning from the seller telling me he was unable to open the video link from my Google Drive that I shared with anyone who has the link. I've tested it and had others too. It works. Looks like it's time for me to return it via eBay and leave negative feedback. To make matters worse, I paid $61 for it and now I've seen it for $49.

Update: I just went through eBay to return.
    Here's the reply from eBay when you hit the Confirm button for return:
    "We'll send you an email when the seller responds to your request. If you have not agreed on a solution or the seller has not responded by May 29, 2019, you can ask us to step in and help." So I'm really no better off at this point than I was before other than possibly pissing off the seller since I now got eBay involved. They are also giving the seller 6 days to respond. So I'm now debating whether to buy another for $49 in the hope that this one is resolved with me getting my money back. I guess if I end up with 2 I can sell one for somewhere between what I paid for the two. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  19. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Post your video on Youtube and send the link to the seller. You shouldn't blame him for not being able to access your Google drive. It's up to you to give him proof he can see. Maybe your Google drive can't be accessed from China, who knows ?

Has he been aggressive or rude with you ? If not, you might try to cancel the dispute via eBay and send him a video he can use.

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Actually, you're in a far better position. As long as all the communication between you two was done via eBay messages - they can see that. Which means that they can see the seller asking for a video, you providing a link, etc. They're even likely to look at the video themselves. Six days is reasonable, especially since most people drag eBay in at the start and don't try to communicate with the seller. Since this came in via international shipping, I suspect you'll have a free paperweight in a few days.

There's no need to post the video to YouTube either, now that eBay is involved they can see for themselves. In fact posting it there might hurt your claim.