Seymour Duncan into an Epiphone Traditional Pro II

Discussion in 'Epiphone Guitars' started by Dean Thut, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Dean Thut

Dean Thut New Member

I have a Seymour Duncan SH-55 with 4 leads to go into my Les Paul Traditional Pro II. The existing wires go into the pot with a clip. Do I just match the colors and splice them together? I can`t find a schematic that tells me what the existing colors represent.

2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'd pull the existing stuff and start fresh. Sure you could splice into the existing harness, but this is an opportunity to do a clean upgrade.

3. RTH

RTH Moderator Staff Member

There is a chart out there for color coding. I have it on my computer at home. Not on my phone though. I mean, there is no chart to tell you how to wire an SD to a Trad Pro harness, but SD color code charts are pretty much everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We had a thread on the topic.

5. RTH

Oh, and to answer your question; no. Different brands use different color combos, so matching color to color won't typically work.

Raiyn likes this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You might figure out which pair go together, but without the color code you're spitting into the wind as to North / South or Start / Finish.

Honestly, it's going to be virtually the same amount of soldering either way. Check out Art of Tone on the Web or eBay for pots etc.

8. RTH

Would looking up a push/pull schematic tell you which wires are which? If so, he should be able to match the new pickup wires to that.

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It could, but then again a bunch of splices in a control cavity in order to use the snap plugs on import pots isn't something I'd consider doing. Even if you manage to figure out the pattern you end up with a lot of stiff sections and heat shrink compounding the issue if one of them is bad.

I had a situation last week where I was rehabbing a Peavey Reactor for the music school I attend. In addition to the typical goochery inherent in a 25+ year old used budget model guitar someone had done a poorly executed splice job on the bridge pickup leads which at some point had been clipped stupidly short.

Discounting the fact that they used cloth covered wire for one lead and some random wire they pulled out of a junk drawer for the other; the joints and tape job themselves were terrible, to the point they came apart once I removed the covering. My splices are a lot better than what was there, but they're still an extra connection / potential failure point that would have been avoidable had the original wires not been clipped by some hack years before I got in there.