String preference

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by LashDog, Apr 19, 2020.

1. LashDog

LashDog New Member

I'm curious as to what brand and gauge of strings you use. Also what style of music are you playing. I'm using Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42.

Maguchi likes this.
  2. BGood

BGood Well-Known Member

Same here for all my guitars from hew haw cowboy chords to chug chug metal. Even if I don't know one single hew haw cowboy tune or chug chug metal tune :rofl:

Maguchi, LashDog and Davis Sharp like this.
  3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I run D'Addario Balanced Tension 10-46 on my G400, and regular D'Addario 9-42 on my Strat. There's not enough of a variance in the 9's to bother going balanced. I tend to experiment more with the Strat because I like the feel of the G400 as is. I've run Rotos on it, I've got a set of SIT's running around here somewhere, but I'll probably default to the D'Addario's if nothing blows me away.

LashDog likes this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Well-Known Member

D'Addario EXL 110

I buy a multi pack when they go on sale at GC or MF.

5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Those are what I use when 10's are called for on a outside setup / repair. You want fancy, you pay for fancy otherwise.... :cheers:

LashDog likes this.
  6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Member

Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42.

LashDog likes this.
  7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I play a bit of everything but I'm most likely to be playing jazz or blues. I use .007-.036 on my Strats and D'Addario NYXL .009-.0042 on my Gibsons and Epis, save for a Les Paul Custom currently strung with chrome Wires .012-.052 for a particular gig backing a singer. I like the Rev Willy's and they are cheap, but I also like the expensive NYXLs for their longevity. I used EB Super Slinkys for decades until the ball end started unwinding a few years ago.

LashDog likes this.
  8. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Member

On all my guitars I use - D'addario XT Electric Guitar Strings Nickel Steel Super Light 09-42.

LashDog likes this.
  9. Dan G

Dan G New Member

LashDog likes this.
  10. Old Woody

Old Woody New Member

They are excellent strings I use them on my Gibson Firebird .008 - .040 I also buy single high "e's" in .0085, .009, .0095 for some experimentation to see what gauge I like so far I'm pretty satisfied with any of them. As for my EPI Acoustic after one string change total, I have been using Ernie Ball "Earthwoods" but they lasted just over a month (prolly should blame it on the Virus as I play a lot more now) I didn't really like them so I'm open to suggestions my Epi Excellante is modeled after a Martin D-35 if that helps I'm thinking about trying some Thomastik- Infeld's.

LashDog likes this.
  11. DigitalDreams

DigitalDreams Well-Known Member

Super slinky 10's.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Active Member

D'Addario XLs .095-.044 and.010-.046 and Curt Magnan Pure Nickels in the same sizes.

13. Rick Davey

Rick Davey New Member

Fender 150 nickel. A little more mellow than the steel. Almost always 10s, once in a while 11s. Left hand likes the 10s, right hand votes for the 11s . LOL

14. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Well-Known Member

D'Addario, and only D'addario, for a number of decades now:

The 000 & the parlor, EJ26 (.011-.052, phosphor bronze round-wound)
    The 12-string dread, EJ41 (.009-.045, phosphor bronze round-wound)
    The resonator, EFT16 (.012-.053, phophor bronze flat-tops)
    The classical, EJ45 (Pro-Arté nylon, regular tension, E, A, & D wound in silver-plated copper)
    The Sheraton, Tele, and Strat, EXL110w (.010-.046 with a wound G, nickel-plated steel round-wound)
    The jazzbox, ECG24 (.011-.050 chrome flat-wound - but next change it's getting ECG23 (.010-.048 chrome flat-wound)
    Bass, EXL220 (.04-.095, nickel-plated steel round-wound - but next change it's getting ECB80 (same gauges, chrome flat-wound)

15. Maguchi

Maguchi New Member

GHS Burnished Nickel 9-42 & Fender 3250 Super Bullets 9-42 for electric. D''Addario Bronze, Phosphor Bronze & Flat Tops PB all in 10-47 for acoustic. Like to play Blues, Rock, Funk, Rockabilly & R & B on electric. Rock, Blues, Folk, roots music on acoustic.

16. tryagain

tryagain New Member

Hello does anyone have experience with super light strings? Like those Billy Gibbons Dunlop 7 gauge?

Biddlin likes this.
  17. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

@Biddlin

18. yelemusic

yelemusic New Member

Elixir on everything I've got.
    On my electrics 09-46 custom light, on my acoustics 13-56 phosphor bronze, and even on my basses I use elixir.
    Some people hate them, others love them, there doesn't seem to be anything in between. I love them, as I tend to sweat through a normal set of strings within a week, and Elixir will last for months.
    I usually change them not when they sound dull (cos it takes forever for them to do so) but when they start not intonating right anymore due to the constant microscopical damage a string has to endure...

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Hi, tryagain, I use Rev Willy's Mexican Lottery Brand No.7 on my Strats and like them. I don't think I'd go lower than 8's for a shorter scale, though.